Havoline now priced higher than many syn blends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the success Havoline has had with their dino has gone straight to their heads because the price of their oil has gotten to be so ridiculously high. In fact, it's even more expensive now than Motorcraft synthetic blend. Why does Havoline think people will continue to buy their oil regardless of how high the price is, and why has the price gotten so high anyway?

...maybe they are pricing it to match its closest competitor, Pennzoil?

If you want to compete against a product, generally you go to the same price point if you want the same perception of quality.

That odd... I was just in a local Advance Auto, and their regular price on Havoline was cheaper than the price on their own house oil...

?

I'd like to know where you guys live that are finding cheap prices for the Havoline. Where I live the Wally-Worlds have quit selling it altogether, and it's over $3 per qt at all the automotive stores.

Don't know if you guys have a Rural King close to you, but they are running a sale on Havoline DS this week for $1.99 a quart with a limit of 6-cases.

That's what I'm saying. Where I shop the Havoline is over $3, while the MC syn blend (which is just as good if not better oil) sells for under $3. Do the folks at Havoline who set the price actually think people are stupid enough to buy inferior dino oil at a higher price than superior syn blend? I just don't understand their thinking on this.

I just got back from AAP. They have Conv Havoline 1 gallon jugs (4 qts) for $8.95. So that's about $2.25 per qt.

But they only have 10W-30 and 10W-40.

If its of any interest, Havoline(CALTEX) is about to take over all the Mobil service stations(Gas stations) in Australia. I dont know what effect it will have on oil prices here and availability.

Just out of curiosity, I will phone Chevron and Shell tomorrow and get the wholesale costs of Havoline, Supreme, FormulaShell, Quaker State and Pennzoil available to us in 5W-30.

I am curious too.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I just got back from AAP. They have Conv Havoline 1 gallon jugs (4 qts) for $8.95. So that's about $2.25 per qt.

But they only have 10W-30 and 10W-40.

That would be the same price that I saw as well...

No $12.00 5w20 HDS in jugs, why? Even GTX now down to $12.00 jugs, finally, and has 5w20. Best value in that weight IMO, MC the leader and still champ, syn blend for $11.50 a jug at Wally.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
No $12.00 5w20 HDS in jugs, why? Even GTX now down to $12.00 jugs, finally, and has 5w20. Best value in that weight IMO, MC the leader and still champ, syn blend for $11.50 a jug at Wally.

That's what I'm saying. Who in their right mind would buy the higher priced Havoline when you can get a better quality syn blend for less? The people setting the prices for their oil must be blind to the prices of the competitors.

Originally Posted By: grampi
That's what I'm saying. Where I shop the Havoline is over $3, while the MC syn blend (which is just as good if not better oil) sells for under $3. Do the folks at Havoline who set the price actually think people are stupid enough to buy inferior dino oil at a higher price than superior syn blend? I just don't understand their thinking on this.

When has Havoline been inferior??

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
For all practical purposes Havoline DS is a semi-synthetic, is it not?
Based on my reading on BITOG I would say in the 5w20 weight your statement could be said to be true, not so much in the other weights. That said, again HDS has no 5w20 weight in jugs, and it's about $3.15qt for the 5w20 at Wally.

All weights of MC say synthetic blend on the container. But, the 5-20 is the best value @ $11.50 a jug.

I looked into it a while ago after charging Conoco with label-engineering and the cold specs for MC do indeed equal most (other) semi products. Additionally, MC does offer a basic dino version of this oil too.

As for Havoline, they have a semi-blend product, but MC prices their semi the same as other brands basic offering. It's hard to dispute the quality and price of MC, although Havoline is itself is somewhat of a premium product at a basic price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back