Havoline full synthetic ATF multivehicle - used instead of Mercon LV

Hello everyone. I've looked at a lot of the threads on BITOG but never posted. I recently purchased my cousin's used Ford Edge that runs great. It has about 100,000 miles, though, and I don't think he ever changed the transmission fluid. I know that the stealership will do it using the recommended mercon LV, but I was wondering about some of the other alternatives. Has anyone had experience using the Havoline ATF full synthetic for this operation. I found a case of 12 for a great deal and I wanted to get feed back before I did it. Thanks in advance for your help. [As a side note I'm not opposed to using the OEM (by the way) just looking for am alternative and I enjoy getting my hands dirty.]

It's DEX VI licensed, DEX VI and Mercon LV are pretty close, infact there are some 6 speed transmissions made jointly by ford and GM, that spec Dex VI when used in a GM vehicle and Merc LV when used in a Ford, they're practically interchangeable.

Looks like the multi vehicle types are quite common.

5AB455B2-A546-4C93-8C18-5A64564EF72F.png
379A8E06-CDD3-4AE0-B724-A60862162361.png
BC9BB9D8-FE5F-49FA-9D60-89A243334488.png

I did a complete flush on the 2014 Sierra 1500 I just sold a month ago with the Havoline Multi-Vehicle ATF. Got it on Amazon for $52 for 12 quarts. I got it because it had a Dex VI license. Truck ran and shifted just fine after replacing the factory Dex VI.

I would never use a one fits all fluid. Myself, I always use what is called for in the manual.
Castrol's full synthetic ATF is a "one fits all fluid" and is also 100% licensed by Ford and GM for low-viscosity ATF applications.

The Havoline fluid being asked about is licensed by GM for meeting their LV spec so it's very odd that it's not the same as with Ford. Reality is, it's almost certainly a $$$ issue vs any compatibility concern.

Wow, Thank you all for the information. I appreciate all of the perspectives and data sheets. As a side question, since some of these are licensed by ford but they are not Motorcraft Mercon LV, could you do the standard 5 qt drain and add with the synthetic ATF to the transmission fill without failure... or is it best to purge the system of all the Mercon LV and use one type.

It's generally accepted that you can safely mix fluids like this. The fact that a fluid is licensed by the automaker should make it even safer to mix.

The Havoline ATF is not licensed by Ford Motor Company. Period. If you are looking for a multi-vehicle LICENSED fluid, the Castrol TRANSMAX full synthetic above fits the bill.

Valvoline DEXRON™-VI/MERCON LV ATF -- NOT licensed by Ford either.
Shaeffer's Dexron®VI/Mercon®LV -- NOT licensed by Ford.

There may be others on the market but so far the only licensed MERCON LV in 'this' thread has been the Castrol. You should check what else is on the market that is licensed by Ford.

I don't buy the notion that some DEXRON VI spec is 'like' Ford Motor Company specs, so it's OK. Not OK.

I don't buy that, brand X could not afford the licensing fee line. Still not OK. In fact if they are that broke, I would worry where else they are cutting corners with their fluid. Maybe they should send the employees home to search their sofa cushions for loose change and pitch into so brand X ATF can afford a license from Ford. Nope, still not buying it.

You should check what else is on the market that is licensed by Ford.
Warren Oil produces a licensed LV fluid and sells it as Supertech (Walmart), Mag1, Federated (store brand), among others.

Here's another one that's licensed: PEAK® FULL SYNTHETIC MULTI-VEHICLE DEXRON® VI/MERCON® LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID "is approved by General Motors and Ford in transmissions specifying either DEXRON® VI and MERCON® LV automatic transmission fluid."

Also: Pennzoil® PlatinumTM LV Multi-Vehicle ATF -- Ford MERCON® LV Approval [License Nos. MLV 140601, MLV 140602, MLV 140603]

Just to be the devil's advocate: How much better deal do you need on mercon LV? Rockauto sells it for $4.40/quart. That transmission holds, maybe, 11 or 12 quarts. Spending the same amount as a tank of gas every 100k miles for the original fluid is an issue?

Reactions: wdn
Just to be the devil's advocate: How much better deal do you need on mercon LV? Rockauto sells it for $4.40/quart. That transmission holds, maybe, 11 or 12 quarts. Spending the same amount as a tank of gas every 100k miles for the original fluid is an issue?
They also sell it in 5qt jugs for around $3.50/qt, although the shipping will eat the value unless you order several or are tacking it on with something else coming from the same warehouse

Personally I wouldn't get too hung up on whether or not Havoline MV (or any other MV ATF) is licensed by Ford. There's a financial aspect to getting a license, so in the case of the MV ATF's that would mean paying licenses fees to Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Subaru, etc, etc. I think if Havoline or Castrol tried to get their MV ATF licensed for all these applications it would mean the cost of the ATF would sky rocket. No really sure there would be a much of a market for Havoline or Castrol MV if the cost was $90-$100 per gallon.

If you read the PDS for Havoline MV it is recommended for uses for applications using Mercon LV, but it's not a "one size fits all" ATF. The PDS specifically warns not to use in CVT or DCT transmissions along with transmissions requiring Ford type F. There are also many ATF's that is is not recommend to be used for such as ATF+3, ATF+4, Dexron HP, Dexron ULV, etc.

I believe that is the same tranny or some version that was in the V-6 Mercury Mariner AWD of that era. I started doing Drain and fills at 25K. I used Maxlife Dex/Merc ATF and it made the tranny shift better without added harshness. Did D & F's every 25K and that transmission kept getting better with each D & F. When we traded it at about 80K I had just did a D&F and the used car evaluator mentioned how nice it shifted. Didn't say anything but felt all warm and fuzzy, as my effort had some reward.

OTOH Ford Technician Makuloco on You Tube would chastise me for using Univ Fluid. He is a OEM Ford ATF believer and preacher. Have watched him change fluid and filter if applicable, on every Ford A/T made. They all have one thing in common. That Ford ATF is pretty cooked by 60K. I'm not sure I would use Ford's new ULV fluid in my 2018 6R80 which came with LV I believe.

Sorry just more Covid boredom chit chat

Back