Havoline 5w40 MSDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
This is the MSDS for Havoline synthetic 5w40. I can't read this things so what does it tell us?

code:

CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS

Mixture 100 %weight Synthetic Motor Oil

68037-01-4 60 - 74.99 %weight Synthetic aliphatic hydrocarbon

Proprietary 5 - 9.99 %weight Alkyl carboxylic acid ester

64742-65-0 3 - 8.99 %weight Hydrotreated dewaxed heavy paraffinic

distillate

64742-54-7 3 - 8.99 %weight Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic

distillate

84605-20-9 1 - 2.99 %weight Polyethylene amine

Here is more info on this oil:

quote:

Havoline Synthetic Motor Oils are formulated using 100% synthetic base stocks for the best performance.

SAE 5W-40 provides the broadest range of protection of the three Havoline Synthetic Motor Oils. It is specifically formulated to meet European requirements and is an officially approved product by BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Volkswagen. It meets the requirements of API SL/CF.

Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 meets

API Service Categories
SL/CF, SJ/CF

ACEA European Oil Sequence A3/B3

Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil SAE 5W-40 is approved by

BMW Longlife-98
Mercedes Benz 229.1
Porsche
Volkswagen 502.00 and 505.00
Volvo SMB 22-3

And here are some tech specs on it:

Viscosity at 40c=87.7
Viscosity at 100c=13.7
Cold cranking is 50 poise at -30c (whatever that means?)
VI is 158
Flash point is 432F
Pour point is -60F (not bad!!)
Noack is 8%
Sulfated ash 1.2%
TBN is 8.8

[ February 11, 2003, 06:12 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I wonder how current the MSDS is. If it is a up-to-date MSDS then we European car drivers have another Gp 4 synthetic to add to our options list. Even though it's ACEA B3 rated I wouldn't use it in my diesel. I prefer a higher TBN.

Looks like mostly PAO (60-75%) with some ester (5-10% - not sure which type) some Group II+ and/or III mineral oil (6-19%).

Not sure what the 1-3% "Polyethylene amine" is.
confused.gif

I wish I could see something I recognize as barrier wear, but I don't. No zinc, phosphorus or moly.
confused.gif
They just might not list it. I really hate the way so many organize their MSDS sheets differently.
rolleyes.gif

Again, someone posted a UOA report on this site and it was one of the best I'd ever seen. They used this oil with some amount of Schaeffer #132 E.P. additive.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

Isn't Havoline Synth. a Group III?

Patman, I don't see the Havoline Synth. on the shelves anymore at any of the Wal-Marts. Just the Conventional stuff. Where did it go? Have you seen it? Did they pull it off the shelf. They used to even have the 4L jugs last summer....

I did another search and came up with this MSDS for Havoline synthetic, dated 02/06/02:

code:

100.0 % TEXACO Havoline Synthetic Motor Oil

CONTAINING

COMPONENTS AMOUNT LIMIT/QTY AGENCY/TYPE

HYDROTREATED DIST., HVY PARA

Chemical Name: DISTILLATES, HYDROTREATED HEAVY PARAFFINIC

CAS64742547 > 80.00% 5 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH TWA

10 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH STEL

5 mg/m3 (mist) OSHA PEL

AND

SOLVENT DEWAXED DIST., HVY PAR

Chemical Name: DISTILLATES, SOLVENT DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC

CAS64742650 5 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH TWA

10 mg/m3 (mist) ACGIH STEL

5 mg/m3 (mist) OSHA PEL

ADDITIVES INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING

< 20.00%

ZINC ALKYL DITHIOPHOSPHATE

Chemical Name: PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID,O,O-DI-C1-14-ALKYL ESTERS, ZINC SALT

CAS68649423 < 5.00% NONE NA

COMPOSITION COMMENT:

All the components of this material are on the Toxic Substances Control

Act Chemical Substances Inventory.

This product fits the ACGIH definition for mineral oil mist. The ACGIH

TLV is 5 mg/m3, the OSHA PEL is 5 mg/m3.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Isn't Havoline Synth. a Group III?

Patman, I don't see the Havoline Synth. on the shelves anymore at any of the Wal-Marts. Just the Conventional stuff. Where did it go? Have you seen it? Did they pull it off the shelf. They used to even have the 4L jugs last summer....

I used to see it all the time at the Airport Rd/Queen Walmart, and I thought I may have seen some there this weekend but I'm not sure. I'll look again this weekend.

I don't know about the MSDS but the technical data I pulled up was dated Sept 2002, and it claims to meet all those good specs (BMW long life & ACEA A3 for instance).

Bror wrote:

quote:

Not sure what the 1-3% "Polyethylene amine" is.

I'll bet it's closer to 1%. This is a family of organic amines. Basically it's carbon group with a amino group. And speaking of basically it does a couple things: a) provides a higher TBN and b) cleans organic crud like a white tornado.

I have NO concept what exactly the compound used is and just how well it holds up at engine temps.

[ February 11, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

Well, I guess it really is a Gp. 3. I figured it was too good to be true to have another brand of full synthetic PAO oil to compete with Mobil in OTC sales.

Well the definition of "Aliphatic" is: One of three types of hydrocarbons found in fuels or lubricants. Typically aliphatics are visualized as linear molecules with no chemical reactive sites. To me thats a stable Group III (just a guess). Also the 50 poise at - 30C is curious and probably a misprint. Usually centipoise (Absolute viscosity used at lower temperatures vs centistokes-kinetic viscosity at higher temps) is used. 50 poise is 50000 centipoise. The requirement for 5W is 3500 centipoise(cP) at minus 25C. Doesn't add up.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Well the definition of "Aliphatic" is: One of three types of hydrocarbons found in fuels or lubricants. Typically aliphatics are visualized as linear molecules with no chemical reactive sites. To me thats a stable Group III (just a guess). Also the 50 poise at - 30C is curious and probably a misprint. Usually centipoise (Absolute viscosity used at lower temperatures vs centistokes-kinetic viscosity at higher temps) is used. 50 poise is 50000 centipoise. The requirement for 5W is 3500 centipoise(cP) at minus 25C. Doesn't add up.
dunno.gif

Actually, 50 poise would equal 5000 centipoise. And the SAE J-300 requirement for a 5w oil is 6600 cP (66 poise) at -30. The 3500 cP at -25 was the old spec.

I got it at AutoZone $3.39/quart.Will the EQUILON made hold up as well as the Havoline by Texaco? Can I run it to 6k miles for summer highway travel in my Ford Econoline 4.2L six? Maybe M1 is a better bet.
confused.gif

CAS# CONCENTRATION INGREDIENTS
Mixture 100 %weight Synthetic Motor Oil
1. 68037-01-4 60 - 74.99 %weight Synthetic aliphatic hydrocarbon
2. Proprietary 5 - 9.99 %weight Alkyl carboxylic acid ester
3. 64742-65-0 3 - 8.99 %weight Hydrotreated dewaxed heavy paraffinic distillate
4. 64742-54-7 3 - 8.99 %weight Hydrotreated heavy paraffinic distillate
5. 84605-20-9 1 - 2.99 %weight Polyethylene amine

Item 1., Tententively, looks like the EOP they have been developing; will investigate further.
Item 2., See my post on multifunctional Carboxylic esters
Item 3., Group II
Item 4. Group II, possibly brightstock to add some "body" to the thin base oil.
Item 5. Multifunctional additive which acts as VII, FM, and as a surfactant (dispersant).

FOLLOWUP:

"68037-01-4 60 - 74.99 %weight Synthetic aliphatic hydrocarbon"
That part of the base oil is PAO, a decene-1 PAO about 4 cSt. Not the latest and greatest, but a good one!

[ February 14, 2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

In the past I would see solidly low wear results with this oil but are you guys sure they still make this, I'm thinkin' it is now a group III base
oil, which may be good but is not a PAO base as this was.

See the newer MSDS above posted by Patman on 2/11.

I was going by what Patman had posted in the first listing.

In the later listing, this is Group II and III base oils.

Note the ZDDP, it is in the form of an ester:
"ZINC ALKYL DITHIOPHOSPHATE
Chemical Name: PHOSPHORODITHIOIC ACID,O,O-DI-C1-14-ALKYL ESTERS, ZINC SALT
CAS68649423 < 5.00% NONE NA "

BTW, Chevron/Texaco/Havoline has a bad habit of putting the "OR" word into the MSDS when they are changing over from full synthetics to Group III's.

Edit: See this thread for an example:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001467

[ February 14, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back