Havoline 5W30 vs. Valvoline and Castrol GTX 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 Honda Accords, a 1999 5 speed manual and a 2000 4 speed auto. I have been using either valvoline or GTX 5W30 oil in both Accords for years. Both cars are over 100K now and never burn any oil between oil changes which is about 4K-6K miles. Late last year I got a hold of 5 cases of Havoline 5W30 oil for a very good price before they switch to the new DS formula. For the last 2 oil changes on both Accords using the 5W50 Havoline oil, I noticed the oil level is down more than half a quart at around 3000 miles on both cars. When I was using either Valvoline or GTX, the oil level never seem to move at all and it is always at or around the full mark on the dip stick. I checked under the cars and there are any leaks anywhere on both cars. Is Havoline 5W30 a lot thinner than both GTX and Valvoline? Why would the Accords burn oil when switch to Havoline oil? Any idea? Thanks in advance.

You should probably send me a couple of cases and I can try it out in my corolla and see if the same thing happens!!!!!!

And I'll take what's left. Hav SM had one of the highest FP available, loaded with moly, and from what I recall was on the thicker side of the 5w-30's in its day. The change in addpacks probably loosened some deposits that is allowing some oil to get buy a valve seal or ring.

Can't say I can offer an explanation. My last run with pre DS Havoline I went 5000 miles with no noticable usage and got great looking analysis results to boot. Not sure why there is such a difference with the Havoline compared to the other oils in 2 different cars. I personally wouldn't sweat it though. As long as you got a deal I'd just top off as needed and use er up! When most folks report happenings like this there usage goes back to zero when they return to their previous oil.

Also, maybe after a run or two the cars won't use any Havoline either. Good luck!

REDDOG

If I recall correctly some have said they noticed consumption sometimes when switching brands of oil but it normally will level out within a few oci's with that oil.

Please correct me if I am wrong anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back