Havoline 5w30, 4850 mi., 2004 Mitsubishi Diamante

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is my 2nd UOA on this vehicle. The first UOA recommended I extend the OCI out to about 5k miles, which I did. Since that was 25% longer than the 1st OCI, I expected slightly more wear, and some were a tad higher.

I also ordered a TBN on this UOA. At 2.2, I'm thinking I don't want to push it much longer - do you guys agree? Blackstone didn't comment on the TBN, so don't know what to make of that.

The only other item that concerned me even a little was the Silicon, which was higher than last time, but still not too bad IMO.

As usual, all comments appreciated.

04Diamante072609.jpg

Wow, excellent report. I'd keep it at a 5k OCI, however. Could probably make it longer, but why change what's working great?
thumbsup2.gif

By the way, is this an older bottle of Havoline? I'm pretty sure the new "Deposit Shield" formula has a lower viscosity than this, unless it thickened.

The engine looks good. That oil seems pretty beat up, with a relatively low TBN and on the thin side... I don't think I'd go 7500 on it but it looks great for what you're doing.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Wow, excellent report. I'd keep it at a 5k OCI, however. Could probably make it longer, but why change what's working great?
thumbsup2.gif

By the way, is this an older bottle of Havoline? I'm pretty sure the new "Deposit Shield" formula has a lower viscosity than this, unless it thickened.

No, it was Deposit Shield. One qt I had left over from 6 months ago, and the rest I just purchased a couple of weeks before the OC.

I dont like going much over 6 months in an OCI, regardless of mileage. I actually went closer to 7 this time, just to get the mileage up closer to 5k miles as Blackstone requested. A "normal" OCI for this vehicle would be around 6 months, and 4k miles, like the first UOA.

Point to mention - the ONLY difference in the 2 UOAs (other than the mileage diff), was that I did use LC20 in the first UOA with the Havoline 5w30. The 2nd UOA was pure Havoline - nothing added by me.

thumbsup2.gif

Nevermind, I read the number wrong. The lower viscosity seems right. When I had my last Havoline UOA with Blackstone, the viscosity was 55.7 after 4,300 miles.

Originally Posted By: JSP
Really good report, silicon doesn't appear to be an issue.

Agreed not an issue, but a little surprised it increased from 7 to 12 with only less than 1k additional miles - but no worries.

thumbsup2.gif

Nevermind, I read the number wrong. The lower viscosity seems right. When I had my last Havoline UOA with Blackstone, the viscosity was 55.7 after 4,300 miles.

Thanks for clarification.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The engine looks good. That oil seems pretty beat up, with a relatively low TBN and on the thin side... I don't think I'd go 7500 on it but it looks great for what you're doing.

Yeah, I'll keep it under 5k miles, unless I throw the LC20 back in there with it, which isn't likely unless I start making some long trips and want to extend the OCI past 5k.

Great low wear rate.

Almost out of grade

With that TBN you could go another 1,000 miles but if you like changing oil every 6 months than just stick with what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Havoline is a great oil - could easily go 6k on that oil.

I'm starting to like Havoline more also with these 2 good reports. Thinking about trying it in my 2005 Elantra at next OC. I've put a half dozen different oils in that car, and UOA'd most of them - doesn't seem to make much difference. All UOA's were quite good, whether mineral or synthetic. That little engine would probably run on mazola LOL.

Aluminum and silicone increased at the same rate. Aluminum bearings contain silicone. Does Mitsu use aluminum bearings, like Ford does?

Originally Posted By: jorton

Aluminum and silicone increased at the same rate. Aluminum bearings contain silicone. Does Mitsu use aluminum bearings, like Ford does?

I dont have a clue. I thought silicon was mainly from poor air filtration, but my air filter is fine. I do live near the ocean though - lots of sand getting kicked up by the winds. Still, 12ppm on the Mitsu doesn't alarm me, but I'll keep a watchful eye.

I think Havoline is generally on the thin side to begin with isn't it? Looks like it did good. I'm thinking about trying it in my jeep when I go back to conventional.

TBN is good for another 1000mi easy - but a 6 mo OCi sound like a good plan. Now, stop doing UOA and save some $$. OTW, buy some redline or amsoil and do 1X yearly OCI on that UOA money you're saving! Your Aussi Diamante has NO MILES on it for an 04, how did that happen? Retirement?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back