Havoline 5w-30 SM Synthetic, 4065mi, 06 Tacoma 4 cyl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. First time poster and first UOA
Blackstone Lab did the analysis. Oil is Havoline 5w-30 SM Synthetic.
Vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 cyl (2TR-FE).
I previously ran two OCIs of Havoline Dino before switching to Havoline full syn. I also had a VOA done on this same SM syn which confirmed the high level of moly. They must have changed the formula from the SL version, which apparantly had very little moly. Left numbers are my results, right numbers are universal averages.

Miles on unit 9977
Miles on oil 4065
Aluminum 3/2
Chromium 1/0
Iron 4/6
Copper 8/4
Lead 0/1
Tin 0/0
Moly 430/41
Nickel 0/0
Maganese 0/0
Silver 0/0
Titanium 0/0
Potassium 0/0
Boron 37/34
Silicon 16/13
Sodium 2/14
Calcium 1885/2071
Magnesium 9/55
Phosphorus 667/729
Zinc 831/878
Barium 0/0

TBN 3.2
SUS Visc @ 210 F 54.8
Flashpoint in F 380.0
Fuel % < .5
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % .1

Blackstone thought the copper and silicon were a little high but probably were leftover from wear in. Should improve on the next report. They also mentioned the viscosity was a little light. Overall they thought it was a good report with no problems. I'm running another OCI of this oil currently. Any comments? Thanks

Well Havoline 5W-30 starts out at 10.8 cst @ 100C.

According to my online SUS to CST conversion calculator, your oil thinned out to 8.713 cst @ 100C.

That's pretty thin, but from what I can tell, your wear numbers and TBN look real good.

By the way, 100C = 212F.

Great report. They changed the formula as you stated as the Havoline syn had no Moly. To meet the GF-4/SM they added Moly. They should have a 5w-20 out soon.

That's right! I just realized that this is synthetic and is not supposed to shear at all.

What happened?
shocked.gif

Not sure why this oil sheared. Fuel dilution is low, but so is the Flash point. Insolubles are also low. Don't quiet understand why this happens. Any oil consumption?

Thank you all for the replys.

Buster- There has been no oil consumption at all. I have checked the level after long highway drives for any dilution burnoff- always stays full.

Hirev- Yes it is the VVT-i 2.7 with a timing chain. That might contribute to the oil shearing. This thing has run smooth and flawless from day one. Toyota is now specifying 5w-20 for this engine. I'll continue to run 5w-30 and not worry about it too much.

This Havoline synthetic is still readily available around here for just over $4/qt. If it continues to work well I will probably keep using it.

I'd stick with it. In fact once my RL stash is up, I'll probably use the Havoline 5w-20 SM then maybe try their 5w-20 synthetic when it becomes available.

How many times has the oil been changed in this engine? Is this the oil that replaced the factory fill for example, or have you done several short OCI's prior to this?

Results are excellent... I'd go to 6k-7k interval the next time around. The bulk of the silicon(e) is gasket/seal leaching and common with new Toyota and Ford engines. This will stabilize after the first 30k miles or so.

TS

TS- I did two short OCIs with Havoline dino before changing to synthetic.
I will probably do 5k OCIs now until the warranty runs out.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
How many times has the oil been changed in this engine? Is this the oil that replaced the factory fill for example, or have you done several short OCI's prior to this?

Results are excellent... I'd go to 6k-7k interval the next time around. The bulk of the silicon(e) is gasket/seal leaching and common with new Toyota and Ford engines. This will stabilize after the first 30k miles or so.

TS

My SI was high until 15k.

TS is correct!
cheers.gif

Here are my first few UOAs incl factory fill (You want high SI! check out the 1k UOA!
shocked.gif
)

Toyota UOAs up to 20k miles

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks for the report. I've see Havoline 5w-30 SM Synthetic locally for $4.14 seems like a good bargain for a synthetic in todays world. Been thinking about picking some up after I depleted my oil stash some more.

I take it this is the 2.7 ? Does the 06 VVT-i 2.7 use a timing chain?

Looks like a excellent report especially considering motor is so new during this cycle and is still wearing in somewhat.

Like the fact that it has lots of moly and TBN is still 3.2 after 4K miles. More than a few GF-4s seem a little disappointing to me in the TBN department at 4 k miles.

The shearing is not bothersome considering the good wear numbers... typical Toyota motor. For some reason Toyota motors tend to be a little harder on oils than many other motors on average from what I have noticed.

Someone wanted to see a UOA/VOA of the SM Synthetic Havoline. As you can see, it has the Moly the dino oils do.

where can you buy havoline syn SM anymore? I got havoline syn SL in my 06 vibe when autozone had it on clearance. Have 5k on the oil right now with zero oil consumption. UOA coming in 3 months.

If you try their synthetic 10W30 I bet it will not shear so much. I do not know why their 5W30 sheared so badly but it is common for 5W30's to shear. RoyalPurple Synthetic shears badly and Havoline and Chevron Supreme regular dino wich is GII+ also shears badly in 5W30 form. Their 10W30's shear too but not as badly.

there is nothing wrong with this uoa. The oil did great. I like the lightness of viscosity at the end yet a good flashpoint. Who cares what the viscosity ends at if this is the result?

The ending viscosity puts it at a 20 weight and that is what Toyota now recommends for that engine. There are no problems here. If you want to do something more for your truck, wash it and give it a coat of wax.

Available at BiMart Stores in Oregon. Goes on sale for $3.69 occasionally. I have also seen it at GI Joes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back