Havoline 5W-20 / Conventional vs Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Maybe the synthetic is not really synthetic...or maybe the dino is synthetic...or maybe they are simply lying all the way around...
coffee2.gif

Yes the viscosity index is close enough, too. 155 for the syn and 149 for the conventional... Conventional SN arent bad at all. Isnt the base only of crud dino anymore? There should have some griup III on this conventional.

People fall for the marketing that the conventional oils are like the conventional oils from the 1960's.

Do you really need anything better than SN rating? I don't really see the significance in synthetics anymore. It really is 1970 mentality. I have always been a short intervals with the cheapest oil is better than a long oil interval with the best. Newer cars have so much more hydrocarbons going in the engine instead out the tail pipe.

Originally Posted By: CT8
People fall for the marketing that the conventional oils are like the conventional oils from the 1960's.

01.gif

^^^^

That's why Havoline conventional 5w-20 has a different formula now because Havoline has always been very high in calcium. The product data sheet also lists magnesium too. This change might be great for the targeted turbo GDI engines, but I am not sure if it's a good thing for every thing else considering calcium has dropped from round about 2500 to 1900.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
^^^^

That's why Havoline conventional 5w-20 has a different formula now because Havoline has always been very high in calcium. The product data sheet also lists magnesium too. This change might be great for the targeted turbo GDI engines, but I am not sure if it's a good thing for every thing else considering calcium has dropped from round about 2500 to 1900.

Magnesium and calcium perform the same function in motor oil, acting as detergents and counteracting acids. Magnesium is more expensive than calcium but also doesn't lead to the production of ash as a by-product. So, I'd say more magnesium and less calcium is a benefit to any engine, TGDI or not. Mobil1 products in particular substitute magnesium for calcium.

Taking all of this into consideration. Without the benefit of a series of UOA, this appears to be very good oil and will tickle the fancy of Molybdenum fans to some degree.

Havoline5W20FrontFinished.png

Originally Posted By: Danh
^^^^

Magnesium and calcium perform the same function in motor oil, acting as detergents and counteracting acids. Magnesium is more expensive than calcium but also doesn't lead to the production of ash as a by-product. So, I'd say more magnesium and less calcium is a benefit to any engine, TGDI or not. Mobil1 products in particular substitute magnesium for calcium.

Yes, but TBN retention in Long drain intervals appears to be better in high Ca detergent oils, like Amzoil and the recent trends from competition, that is reverting back, becauss of this LSPI issues in turbed high cr cilinders. LSPI doesnt happen in Higher throttling because the injection system shoves a lot of fuel above 70%. The leaner maps are at lower rpms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Danh
^^^^

Yes, but TBN retention in Long drain intervals appears to be better in high Ca detergent oils, like Amzoil and the recent trends from competition, that is reverting back, because of this LSPI issues in turbed high cr cilinders. LSPI doesnt happen in Higher throttling because the injection system shoves a lot of fuel above 70%. The leaner maps are at lower rpms. And lean mix is more preignition prone.

I bought six case of the 5w-20 conventional a couple months ago, the price was right. When I get enough miles I will UOA and post. We have a Rural King nearby that had an oil sale back in Nov? and I don't remember what the price was, but all of their oil was much cheaper than anywhere else. I'm thinking $2 per qt.

Havoline conventional use to have like 10 parts magnesium just like any other conventional, and now it's in the 40 range. I am not a chemist, but 600 parts of calcium less to 30 parts more magnesium just does not sound good to me.

I know Havoline has increased the moly count too with a good dose of boron added in, but all this has me thinking that the next generation oils are focusing on this GDI stuff, and I am inclined to think that people that don't have GDI engines are going to be left wondering whether or not what ever chosen oil is best for their engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back