Havoline 10w40

Curious as to how Havoline 10w40 can have an API SN rating without being a synthetic or blend? Or is it a synthetic or blend? This is not the PRO-DS.
1654429168807.png

most oils today are prolly blends-semi syn just to meet todays specs + since to my knowledge there are NO set requirements except a small amount of fake group III synthetic to be labeled semi-syn!! so unless its a real big $$$ just buy typical group III fake synthetic!!

At least here in Europe 95% of 10W-40 PCMOs are Syn-Blends, and most by now are API SN, however i believe most of our syn-blends are Group I + Group III, i recall seeing a chart that basically said most have 20-25% Synthetic in them.
With that being said there are a few full synthetics too, from brands like Motul, Rowe, Repsol or Millers.
I don't know of a single conventional 10W-40 though.

Last edited:
Curious as to how Havoline 10w40 can have an API SN rating without being a synthetic or blend? Or is it a synthetic or blend? This is not the PRO-DS.View attachment 102765
Ignoring that, as @wemay noted, that says SP, it'll be Group II+, which is a hydrocracked base that doesn't have a VI high enough to be Group III. Mobil's version is their EHC family of bases.

@OVERKILL often posts this image but i don't think people grasp the significance. This breakthrough in the realm of motor oil development is fascinating. Not using GrpIII or "better" but still achieving some levels of synthetic performance.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 9.35.41 PM.jpg

Back