Havoline 10w40, 4.5 hours, 2006 YZ250F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texaco Havoline 10w40 in a 2006 Yamaha YZ250F.
4.5 hours on oil, 5.4 hours on bike.
Testing done by Blackstone Labs 1/6/06.

INSOLUBLES: .3%
WATER: 0.0%
ANTIFREEZE: 0.0%
FUEL: 0.5%
FLASHPOINT IN F: 370
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 F: 58.3

ALUMINUM 24
CHROMIUM 1
IRON 17
COPPER 18
LEAD 606
TIN 4
MOLYBDENUM 70
NICKEL 2
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 5
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 128
SILICON 24
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1844
MAGNESIUM 37
PHOSPHORUS 813
ZINC 887
BARIUM 9

this report has me REALLY scratching my head.
while i do have some fuel (turns out to be a overly high set float) some of the other elements are just beyond me. silver 5??? magnesium 37? barium 9???
the lead is from race fuel.
this was the 1st oil change and put in at 0.9 hours and dropped at 5.4 hours. maybe the results are from the oem oil and still what was left from breakin?
i'll run 2 more filter changes and then re-test.

p.s. it seems the *new* mixmaster of doom turned this highly regarded oil into wizz weight in no time at all.
grin.gif

Sure did shear down.Fuel was found,remember still fairly new motor (rings seating). Also I would think with the other elements being found,just part of the break-in. Which you stated,but I am not happy with the shearing as you are!!!!!

I put Valvoline 10-40 in a big V-twin Vulcan 1500...was not impressed with shift quality pretty quickly. I'm not sure these 10-40's hold up real well. OTOH, Delo 15-40 that I've had in there for over 500 miles still gives buttery-smooth shifts. If the 15-40's aren't too thick for your application, maybe you could try one and compare it to the 10-40's? I know I'm not going back to 10-40, but, I know my application is very different than yours.

I would think bottom end bearing,thrust washers,left and right crank bearing.Whata ya think?

wileye & kx455,

silver in a roller bearing? ok i guess. or the thrust washers. that's all i can even remotely think of. maybe i just took the sample to early in its life. i already have 3.5 hours on this oci so it won't be long before i dump it.

I remember kawasaki putting more silver plating on the bottom rod bearing cage on the 03 KX 250.I would think yamaha uses the same material or close anyway.I bet, around your 4th oil change the numbers will be way lower,which you already said by replying " 2 more filter changes and retest" This will prove the break in process causes the most wear,but that is not the word I am looking for,you know what I mean.

i just went through my stack of reports from blackstone. ALL of them show fuel of either lt0.5% or lt1.0% (though SRT is 1.0%) and yet NONE of them thinned out like this sample did. so here is my game plan: put another ride in on this oil and drop it. refill with same and put in another 5+ hours on it and re-test. if it again thins out to 20wt, bye bye never again. so sorry mixmaster wins, havoline 10w40 loses.

yeah, i know what you mean.
wink.gif

I think you are rushing the beast a bit.
Just about all new engines are going to have crazy contaminants in them for what ever reasons.

Plus, you know that mass production assembly has lots to be desired.
I'd be keeping frequent look-see's if I were you just for the tracking...you may well have a lemon. (not trying to jinx you..lol)

And the fuel has to be helping the oil to thin faster than normal.

btw..I thought maybe you would be on a 450 this time. (shrug)

Humm, This oil appears to be API SL or SM. Yamaha has never recommended such a classification for their 4 stokes unless something changed in 2006? What does your owners manual say regarding API classification.

How come you are not using the well regarded Yamalube 20w 40 in your High RPM dirt bike?

the oil is SL.
i guess you've never seen the manual then.

yamalube? well regarded? i'm gonna bust a gut laughing.

i'll be giggling all week over that comment.

Hey! Don't talk him out of doing this.
nono.gif
We're all learing from it.

We do draw different conclusions, however--but the reports are interesting!
smile.gif

The three things that you have to look at to understand whether an oil is doing its job or not (in no particular order of importance) are:

1) wear metals
2) wear metals
and
3) wear metals

All else is curious info, but certianly subordinate to the metal counts.
wink.gif

I've never seen a dino 10W40 not shear. But I've also never seen one do a pretty darn good job of mitigating wear...

This sample contained fuel, which also drops the viscosity...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back