Havoline 10w30 2K miles '98 Dodge Durango 5.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in service about two months. Baldwin B34 oil filter. Fram air filter in stock air box. Did some 4K lbs boat towing. No make-up oil. This was an ARx rinse oil -- the reason for the low mileage.

75,200 to 77,200 miles

Ana Labs

Titanium Silver Copper 4
Lead 10
Tin Aluminum 3
Nickel Iron 9
Chromium 1
Cd Sodium 6
Boron 103
Silicon 10
Water Soot 0
Glycol N
Fuel < 0.5
VIS @100C Cst 8.71
shocked.gif
(or 54.8 SUS)
Moly 74
Mag 47
Calcium 1891
Barium 2
Phos 875
Zinc 954

Seems to have sheared quite a bit. I am running Delo 15W40 in it now.

(edit-I fixed title name)

[ July 16, 2004, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Hmm... two different Havoline 10w30's (Sportage) both posted at the same time and both shearing after a short mileage. What would they be saying if it was my cheap SuperTech crap?

You raise a great point. I'm seeing more shearing than ever with the Havoline products over several UOAs posted here, including my own. This run, however, was an Auto-Rx rinse phase so I would suspect lots of junk in the oil that would skew the numbers.

If this were your truck, would you stop using a dino 10/30 and switch to synthetic?

Is it the engine or the combo of oil and engine that is causing the shearing?

It will be interesting to see what the HDEO dino results are.

Is the high lead (presumably) bearing wear a result of the Auto-RX or is the towing/high loading pushing the oil too hard?

Insoluables?

I don't think that the wear metals can be really counted since a lot of it might be old deposits that were cleaned out.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
Insoluables?
-T

I learned after talking to the ANA lab tech recently that the SOOT column on their reports is soot for diesels and insoluables for gas engines.

So, insoluables was zero on this one.

Currently doing another ARx round (clean) with Delo 15W40. I'll get done with the dino rinse (Delo again), and then going with some M1 T&SUV. I'll report the T&SUV.

The consumption seems to have reduced some with the 15W40 grade vs. the 10W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back