Havoline 10w-30, 3,275 mi, 99 Saturn 1.9 DOHC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2nd run with Havoline. The previous run (which was not tested) was for 1862 miles--I needed to flush out the "water" which had been found in the previous analysis. The UOAs are listed from latest to oldest. I had been using Schaeffer's but the wife only drives 3.5 miles roundtrip to work daily, so I thought that it was best to just change it every 3 months. I'm not impressed by this report. I may just go back to the 15w-40 and do once per year changes with LC. This run did utilize LC (LOL ZERO oxidation, but the oil is barely a 30w
patriot.gif
).
Code:

Havoline Schaeffer's Schaeffer's

10w-30 15w-40 15w-40

3275 miles 9703 mi 6956 mi

3 months 1 year 1 year

8oz LC&2oz/1k mi no LC no LC

Cu 11 25 15

Fe 15 87 40

Cr 0 1 1

Al 5 8 4

Pb 0 4 0

Mo 489 165 73

P 1101 1294 1126

Zn 1175 1732 1180

Mg 56 15 11

Ca 2725 3816 2538

A/F no no no

Fuel no no no

H2O no .3 no

Si 11 5 9

Vis 9.46 15.71 12.44

SAE ISO 30 40 30

Sulfur 19 38 9

Oxidation 0 46 25

Nitration 5 47 36

I am not concerned with the Si, we did take 2 drives, one to Phoenix, and one to Albuquerque. Both had bad sandstorms. The air filter is a K&N; I'll still check it and just reoil it. Anyone ever remember the stretch from Deming, NM, to Tucson, AZ?

Why go back to a 15W-30? Its normal for the 30wt. to shear down. Even if it sheared into the higher 8 cSt. it would be fine. No evidence of higher wear that I see. High irons seem to be normal for this engine. And your cr. and pb. are 0.

Thanks Al for your response. I was just thinking about that whole thing about changing the oil so often that the wear doesn't really change, or go down for that matter. What I am trying to say, is that if we mulitiply these measurements x4 ( meaning a yearly change) it comes out the same, or yikes, worse.

Quote:

What I am trying to say, is that if we mulitiply these measurements x4 ( meaning a yearly change) it comes out the same, or yikes, worse.

Yea, I guess I wasn't really looking at your big picture. Schaeffer's really does do a good job over a long period of time. I used to use the Schaeffer's and for some reason just stopped using it. Don't really know why. Maybe your idea is better than mine.
smile.gif

Quote:

Maybe your idea is better than mine.
smile.gif

Not necessarily Al. That's why this site is here; for discussion, experimentation (observation), and analysis.
offtopic.gif
I read another thread where the poster said things have changed; I don't really think so. Ppl leave and then come back; we all need a break sometime.
cheers.gif

Back on topic. I really don't know what to make of it. I have Havoline back in and will leave it til March. If it tests the same as this run, I'm going back to Schaeffer and try the 5w-40 for 6 month intervals. I service 4 or 5 vehicles and would like to use one weight. Hopefully the LC users will comment on the other numbers.
patriot.gif

I'd try 5-30 with the 3 mile trips and sheering to a 5-20 is probably in the right direction for those miles.

"the wife only drives 3.5 miles roundtrip to work daily"

I think that, combined with with the water is why wear numbers are a bit high, but is trending downward.

You're definitely on the right track by using LC to prevent the sticking ring problem (thus why you have no consumption!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back