Having Trouble With Microsoft Edge? Here's How to Disable it or Completely Remove It

Since the last update Microsoft edge has been force loading and setting itself as the default browser when I use something else. In order to correct this, I've went into the system settings, task manager etc and nothing works. So I posted: " How to disable/remove Microsoft Edge". Here's what I found:

Testing these suggestion, I've located at least 2 of these suggested/fixes that worked and I've since removed all of the Microsoft Edge components. Mind you another "Geek" site claims that the Microsoft edge can't be disabled or removed. So if you're having Edge takeover issues, try one of the tips/fixes listed at the link above.

It's easy enough to install another browser and make it your default. Then Edge doesn't get in the way.

However, the most annoying thing is that Edge keeps reappearing as a pinned button in the task bar. Every time I boot, it reappears and I "un-pin" it. That lasts until I reboot again. I've checked the usual Windows startup locations, nothing there that would add Edge to the taskbar. Maybe there is a registry entry I can set to tell it to stop doing that.

I really don't mind Edge. On a Windows PC, If I am going to use any Chrominium-based browser I'll probably pick Edge over Google Chrome. But I do like my Firefox.

Safari always on Mac or iPhone.

What's wrong with that? I have Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Brave and Firefox icons pinned in the task bar. Easy to switch between browsers.
It's a deceptive user interface anti-pattern. The taskbar is for productivity & efficiency. Users set it up however they want. It's one thing to put Edge in the taskbar by default, no big deal. But forcefully restoring it there on every boot, even after the user removed it, is a clear violation of the user's intent. No program or operating system should do that.

It's a deceptive user interface anti-pattern. The taskbar is for productivity & efficiency. Users set it up however they want. It's one thing to put Edge in the taskbar by default, no big deal. But forcefully restoring it there on every boot, even after the user removed it, is a clear violation of the user's intent. No program or operating system should do that.

It shouldn't be doing that - there's an issue somewhere. You can try to run a sfc /scannow, DISM restore health, or clear out the updates folder (bad update could make it constantly reinstall) but the only option might be to just reimage your PC.

It's easy enough to install another browser and make it your default. Then Edge doesn't get in the way.

However, the most annoying thing is that Edge keeps reappearing as a pinned button in the task bar. Every time I boot, it reappears and I "un-pin" it. That lasts until I reboot again. I've checked the usual Windows startup locations, nothing there that would add Edge to the taskbar. Maybe there is a registry entry I can set to tell it to stop doing that.
I've made another browser my default and, as you said, Edge fades away.

I found a way to permanently unpin Edge from the task bar never to show its ugly face again. ****ed if I remember how I did it, though, but it is possible. I haven't seen it for several years.

What's wrong with that? I have Explorer, Edge, Chrome, Brave and Firefox icons pinned in the task bar. Easy to switch between browsers.

I thought support for Explorer has lapsed. All of our office PCs have had it deleted. For most systems we can use Chrome, Edge or Firefox. For others, only Edge. I don’t mind Edge, but use Firefox on most systems because a few of the programs work better.

Just wanted to update this, we've taken care of Microsoft edge, but we've bene getting something called "Microsoft Content" loading at the most inopportune times. Turns out or reports say it's Cortana loading in the back ground. here's how to fix that..

Open Power shield (run as admin) then add this line and enter.

Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage

This should take care of Cortana from loading.

I use MS Edge on my PC. The Google Chrome didn’t play well with Windows 10 so,I uninstalled Chrome and emptied the recycle bin.

I am OK with Edge, but if you hate it with passion, you may try Windows 10 LTSC N or even more radical approach would be an IoT version of Windows 10 branch. But if you are a gamer, not everything will be smooth.

Back