Having problems with Dell Inspiron 1525. Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this laptop from Offerup cheap. The guy said that it freezes. I end up doing a factory restore, runs excellent did updates, installed Avast, but the battery is no good, gotta keep the charger hooked up all the time. Next day, it seemed to have erased everything. So I redo everything and it lasts like another day or so, then the same thing happens and now I can even get it to restore anymore. Anything that I try, I get a b.s.o.d. If I press the media button next to the power button, it'll go to that but be frozen.diagnostic mode, it'll work fine to run tests. Any clues? When it ran right, it ran great. All this within a week.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
diagnostic mode, it'll work fine to run tests.

Does it include a RAM test?

If not, find some standalone RAM test utility that you can fire up from a CD drive or a USB drive, such as Memtest...

https://www.memtest86.com/

If it passes, forget Vista and install some user friendly Linux version on it.

if it has two memory sticks you can pull one out and use trial and error to figure if you have a bad stick.

That is likely, or the modules may need to be reseated, I have seen that also.

What image are you restoring from? Are you trying to restore from the recovery partition on the HDD?

I would test the HDD also.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I am sure you know what BSOD stands for especially the "D" at the end.

It can also be the HDD and memory as mentioned above but if it is the Motherboard then it is the "D" above.
Other than replacing the motherboard which is probably just cheaper to buy another used one.

A tip is to get i7 laptop if Dell, get the Latitude or Precision lines of product.

Ok, just gotta get to a working desktop. Meanwhile, I'm able to press F8, then see the "windows" logo with the moving yellow little boxes,,then just now i get bsod of " c000021a (fatal system error. It seems that i get different messages every time.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
if it has two memory sticks you can pull one out and use trial and error to figure if you have a bad stick.
I would test the HDD also.
I ran the laptop diagnostics and one of the error codes was 0146, google .I saw this on Ebay, a hdd with Win 7 installed already , HDD

Last edited:
So Should I get that HDD? I only paid 35 for laptop, another 29 for a hdd and Win 7.

No, buy a new hard drive. Invest in a SSD, you can always use it in another machine if this one dies. That W7 license won't carry over to this machine...your best bet would be Linux Mint MATE.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk-120...p?skuId=5394600

Ugh, the Dell Inspiron 1525 is over 10 years old which is an eternity when it comes to laptops.

Yes, a Dell 0146 error, more specifically a 2000-0146 error is a bad hard drive.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Ugh, the Dell Inspiron 1525 is over 10 years old which is an eternity when it comes to laptops.

Yes, a Dell 0146 error, more specifically a 2000-0146 error is a bad hard drive.
Yeah i know, i'll be using it as a beater laptop. If it gets damaged or stolen, no big loss. i don't do work on it,just inernet and web surfing,etc

Yeah i know, i'll be using it as a beater laptop. If it gets damaged or stolen, no big loss. i don't do work on it,just inernet and web surfing,etc

What processor does this have? If it's something like a Core Duo, it's perfect for browsing BITOG, news, email, etc.

All of my laptops around the same period or older do well with Mint. I use the XCFE version which is a little lighter. On my new to me R61 Thinkpad is doing well with the original hard drive, 2g RAM, and a Core 2 Duo. Other ones have the same Sandisk drive Dishdude linked to and they do boot faster.

I did buy a Dell with ATI graphics and Mint would not work. No driver. If you have on-board graphics it will. You can always try it before you install.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

What processor does this have? If it's something like a Core Duo, it's perfect for browsing BITOG, news, email, etc.
yup, core duo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back