Having problems with Dell Inspiron 1525. Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Is it possible to d/l MINT onto a Flash drive to install onto the laptop?

That is the intended purpose. You can grab any flavour of Mint you wish (The MATE version is ridiculously stable and simple, and does not require much in the way of graphics horsepower in order to scream fast) - It will be a .iso file. From Windows, I believe the easiest way to copy that file onto a USB stick and make that stick bootable is using Universal USB Installer, available here: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ This application is extremely straightforward.

Once you've successfully made the USB stick bootable and populated with Mint, you need to boot from that stick, which may involve keeping en eye on your screen during boot: Before your OS loads there should be a message on screen - quite likely just for a few seconds - indicating which key(s) to hit to access alternate boot devices. It might be DEL, F12, F1, F2, etc.

Booting from the USB stick will allow you to use the OS directly from the USB stick without modifying your HDD/ SDD at all - GREAT for testing it out! The installation, available from the desktop you've booted into OR as an option while booting, is pretty much a matter of following along with the defaults, as well as the input of your account name and password. Here is some of their documentation regarding installation: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

If you need a hand at all, PM me or post here or another thread.

If you run it from the USB drive it will give you an idea of the speed of a solid state drive. I installed Mint from the USB drive after making sure it worked on my R61. It was the fastest install I have done.

uc50ic4more,

You are a source of knowledge and inspired me to go back to Mint. I have a Micro Center in area and picked up one of these today:

Inland Professioinal Solid State Drive

Not bad for a $39.99 + tax hard drive. It seems to be doing better than the SanDisk I have been using.

My R61 is flying now! Will let you know if I have issues with hard drive. Thanks!

Another distro very similar to Linux Mint but even lighter and with less software pre-installed is Peppermint OS. This one is geared for online use so the "applications" are mostly cloud with their ICE software that runs through the browser. But if you need to, you can still install anything from the Ubuntu repositories. It works great on older computers that are mainly used for internet and email and is just as easy to install as Mint since it uses the same installation program.

I used Peppermint for a while. Looks good and is fast. What I did not like I could not use backspace key to go back. Also, it was not good with saving Libre Office or other files which needed to go to flash drive. Kinda clunky with that.

Mint Mate is working fine. Was using XCFE version before. My system monitor was saying I am using almost entire 2 gb of dimm with Mint Mate. Thankfully I had ordered a 2 gb dimm and it arrived yesterday. I have 3 gb total. Seems like the bases are covered now.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I used Peppermint for a while. Looks good and is fast. What I did not like I could not use backspace key to go back. Also, it was not good with saving Libre Office or other files which needed to go to flash drive. Kinda clunky with that.

Mint Mate is working fine. Was using XCFE version before. My system monitor was saying I am using almost entire 2 gb of dimm with Mint Mate. Thankfully I had ordered a 2 gb dimm and it arrived yesterday. I have 3 gb total. Seems like the bases are covered now.

I've never experienced either of those issues using Peppermint OS on multiple computers since 2010. Why wouldn't a backspace key work unless you choose the wrong keyboard layout and why would Libre Office be any different on Peppermint than Mint if they both come from the same base repository?

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

I've never experienced either of those issues using Peppermint OS on multiple computers since 2010. Why wouldn't a backspace key work unless you choose the wrong keyboard layout and why would Libre Office be any different on Peppermint than Mint if they both come from the same base repository?

I don't know. I had to install Libre Office. Every computer I installed Peppermint on the backspace key never worked to go back to last the page. I am a novice so it could be user error. I thought it was just the way Peppermint was designed? In Linux when something does not work many times I just adjust how I do things. Not that smart.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back