Having a 3rd vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tired of a vehicle ? I actually find myself more attached to one the longer that I have it. Our 93 Taurus is a symphony of rattles but it's still running well at 181K miles, and I like it better than the 99 Taurus that we have (we found a Taurus to be the cheapest 6 seat vehicle available). We're gonna keep that 99 though as it's the last year of the oval design and it'll really be worth something some day :^)

I am a 3 vehicle owner for the exact reasons you mention. who says your daily driver has to be nice or $10,000? buy a beater that gets good mileage. for the $1500 a year in gas savings you could buy a decent beater every 2 years and have money left over for maintenance and insurance. if the car breaks junk it and get a new junker.

I have a 70 mile round trip commute when I'm in the office. When the weather is bad or I'm on the road, I drive my Jeep (sometimes pulling a small enclosed utility trailer). But when I only have to commute to the office I drive an old 87 Sentra that I resurrected. Not only does it save a huge amount in fuel, but it saves the wear and tear on the Jeep. I average 35-40 MPG, plates are $13/year, and insurance is about $150/year. If I do hit a deer with it I'm not out much. But the fuel savings is significant.

I figure the Sentra costs about $0.05 per mile in fuel (~36 MPG). At 15K miles/year that's about $1000/year in fuel.
The Jeep costs about $0.12 per mile in fuel (~15 MPG). At 15K miles/year that's around $1800 in fuel. So the savings can be significant, but probably not enough to warrant purchasing a gas saving vehicle on credit. I wouldn't be without my Jeep, however it is nice to have the little econobox to simply commute with.

quote:

I get a thrill to see the $$$ in my bank account.

My wife is thrilled at seeing how much more she can spend elsewhere.
frown.gif

Did you ever notice that they seem to complain about your spending ..descretionary or otherwise ..but they never seem to put their own spending under the same microscope??
confused.gif
grin.gif

Gary Allan, I can completely identify with double standard spending thing...and I haven't been married all that long.

The beater route is one of the best ways to go if you want a side vehicle. I have a Mustang GT that I love...the gas consumption was killing me b/c of my driving mostly.

I bought a Plymouth Acclaim for $1000. It got 100 more miles over the Mustang out of the same amount of gas. Over the course of a year, based on MPG and miles driven I saved about $400 in gas...but the biggest savings came in insurance b/c I put the Mustang on secondary vehicle status. That alone practically made it worth it.

On top of that, I repaired some of the things on the Acclaim (valve stem seals mainly) and sold it for $1200 after driving it 16,000 miles!

Anyone else ever have one of those 3.0 Chryslers by Mitsu?

quote:

Originally posted by BatmanLS1:
Anyone else ever have one of those 3.0 Chryslers by Mitsu?

I did. Just replacing the valve stem seals lasted 10K before the car started puffing smoke again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back