Haven't checked my oil in months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do a weekly check of all fluids + tyre pressures. I see it the same as checking for lumpy plums, you want to identify a potential problem ASAP!

I check mine before a road trip, which is between once a week or every three weeks. Have had no problems with the Sentra thus far.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
I run it until the rods knock, skirts seize, then add oil.

I had a buddy who waited until his 318 would knock, then he'd dump in 5 quarts. Claimed he had been doing that for 20k.
21.gif

My old Camry gets checked every couple of weeks, which is like every 1k. Other vehicles tend to be once a month, which might be 2k or 20 miles. It's really more of when I think to, and can run out to actually do so.

Supton, You said, "I had a buddy who waited until his 318 would knock, then he'd dump in 5 quarts."

Your buddy was an automotive [censored]. Kira

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Kira
Supton, You said, "I had a buddy who waited until his 318 would knock, then he'd dump in 5 quarts."

Your buddy was an automotive [censored]. Kira

Meh, I knew a guy that would wait until the oil pressure light flickered to change the oil in his Maxima.

My Fusion doesn't use any measurable/observable amount of oil over its regular 7,500 mile OCIs, but I still make it a point to check under the hood about twice a month.

While under the hood, I check the coolant level with a flashlight, check the trans fluid level and color, and just do a general overall inspection, to make sure that there's nothing odd going on. I also check the air pressure in all 4 tires at the same time, to make sure pressure is where it should be and there are no bulges, cracks, punctures, etc..

Then again, I drive about 600 miles a week, and I figure the car takes care of me, so I should take care of it. No surprises in the driveway means a lower likelihood of surprises on the highway.

I check mine quite a bit, but only because I like to pop the hood and look around in there. That's in my truck. As far as my car, I go months without checking it because it's boring lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back