Have you seen this YouTube testing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
A straight grade will have a higher HTHS and higher pressure-viscosity coefficient (most of the time), both which provide more high temperature protection but also increase hydrodynamic drag. For these guys, a 0.5% power gain is far more important than a little less wear.

EDIT: As mentioned above, they are straight grades essentially. No VI. They use some of the "lightest" base oils they can find though.

Ok, so the lube they're using isn't really nothing like what you and I are getting at Wally's..in that they are actually more like a straight grade because of little to no VII's...now that makes a little more sense.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
A straight grade will have a higher HTHS and higher pressure-viscosity coefficient (most of the time), both which provide more high temperature protection but also increase hydrodynamic drag. For these guys, a 0.5% power gain is far more important than a little less wear.

EDIT: As mentioned above, they are straight grades essentially. No VI. They use some of the "lightest" base oils they can find though.

Ok, so the lube they're using isn't really nothing like what you and I are getting at Wally's..in that they are actually more like a straight grade because of little to no VII's...now that makes a little more sense.

I'd assume they are completely devoid of any VII's, as the PDS for the Mobil PAO base I posted earlier shows this is easily doable with that type of base.

Well ... I guess my poor choice of wording sparked quite a discussion. So let me re-address the issue with a question. To accurately test a given oil's anti-wear properties, shouldn't the test be conducted within a normally operating temperature range for it's published viscosity?

Last edited:
Yes, but it's a worse problem than temperature since his method of measuring anti-wear properties is inappropriate and unrelated to an ICE.

You don't "accurately test" the anti-wear properties of motor oils used in an ICE with that machine.

Originally Posted by T-Stick
Well ... I guess my poor choice of wording sparked quite a discussion. So let me re-address the issue with a question. To accurately test an oils anti-wear properties a given oil, shouldn't the test be conducted within a normally operating temperature range for it's published viscosity?

For that test, no. Engine oils will give wild results that are all over the place, and often unrepeatable, at any temperature because that device doesn't accurately represent what engine oils are formulated for. That device was never intended to test engine oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back