Have you met a woman who can really drive stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

A good friend of mine can drive a manuel with grace

Good for Manuel.
grin.gif

it is a gender thing. I haven't met one lady that drove a stick or knew how too. When it comes to sports cars, it's always an Auto tran.

I've found that it's a training thing.

I've two brothersinlaw who cannot use a clutch.

My better half drives a manual really well.

She tried hard to learn, they chose the lesser driver's licence, and got it in an auto.

Do you know that in the US , if you have gotten your license on a car with automatic, you are actually legally allowed to drive stick?

In many countries, if you take your driving test using an automatic transmission, your license is valid only for cars with automatic transmissions. If you take your driving test in a car with manual transmission, your license will be also valid for automatic.

I believe that people who learn driving only automatic will never learn to drive as well as they could, had they learned using manual shifting. Why? Manual shifting requires the driver's constant attention, watching out for what's going on around him. That not only keeps the mind more alert, but also requires coordination and keeps feet and hands busy. No time for stuffing your face with donuts while making a call!
wink.gif

All my friends, guys and girls, learned stick.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I believe that people who learn driving only automatic will never learn to drive as well as they could, had they learned using manual shifting.

That seems logcal, but I hang around a forum where the majority of postrers are 18ish with manual tranny Sentras. They have accidents at an alarming rate. I can personally go down the list of people/kids I know who can and can't drive manual. I don't see any difference.

Not really arguing with you. Just doesn't seem to agree with what I see. Might be true though.

My wife and son do quite well. She drove my Nissan Frontier 6speed yesterday and had no problem. She does prefer an auto though that's why she drives an Accord.
My sons vehicle is a Pathfinder 5speed and preferes a manual and day.

I wanted to put my sig up but it's too wordy:
I like manual transmissions better than automatics because I like to drive rather than be driven. http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/rocketmen2k5/gr_driving3.gif

quote:

That seems logcal, but I hang around a forum where the majority of postrers are 18ish with manual tranny Sentras. They have accidents at an alarming rate. I can personally go down the list of people/kids I know who can and can't drive manual. I don't see any difference.

Not really arguing with you. Just doesn't seem to agree with what I see. Might be true though.

Well, in the US, driver education is uh, how can I say that without sounding offensive? Is "lacking" acceptable? My theory may not apply as much to the US.
wink.gif

To get my license, I was required to attend driving school for a a few weeks. Driving school included:

- 20 hours driving with a professional instructor, including night driving, high speed Autobahn driving, parking in, stopping and starting on a steep hill, etc

- a comprehensive test in traffic law, driving theory, first aid, etc

- a comprehensive 1 hour driving test with a federal suit in the backseat, who will do his best to make you fail

- $1,200 in fees

My sister learned on a Jeep CJ in the early 80s, owned an '84 Bronco II and then an '89 Corolla SR5 coupe..she's a pro. She said she's done with them now though, living through traffic jams in Atlanta twice a day, every day.

My sister taught me how to drive a stick as well as taught me how to ride a motorcycle. She had both at the time, a Saab Sonnett and a Kawasaki 900. When she hit 50 my brother-in-law made her give up her bike a Honda 750. Said she was too old to be still riding a motorcycle. BTW he is the same age.

Yes I have. Some of them are really good. Zero endorsements on their licence, zero contacts, zero fender benders. Zero insurance claims.

Whenever I am in Los Angeles and hook up with friends there, the only one driver I have enough confidence in for me to fall asleep in the passenger seat, is a woman; A 23-year old woman. Let me just say that I find L.A. traffic thoroughly unsettling.

But in the big cities these days, more and more people are turning out to be automatic transmission only. To the extent that it's hard to get a stickshift car sold.

My mom can drive a stick pretty well. So can my sister. I wouldn't say they're excellent drivers overall, but they definitey don't have any problems with the stick-clutch part.

My wife learned on a stick. She owned a couple in her early years (a Dodge Omni and Nissan Sentra). She and her dad also rebuilt the engine in the Omni when she was around 17. He supervised, she did most of the work.

She couldn't drive my non-syncronized Power Wagon when I had it, but she can drive pretty much any syncronized manual transmission.

My Mom TAUGHT me how to drive a 5-speed. Her first "car" was a surplus Willys Jeep she started driving at 12. We took my brother's brand new 1991 Explorer 5 speed out to the levees since that was the only place to practice hill-holding. I always figured I had some small part in his tranny exploding in front of the Gateway Arch a couple of years later...
grin.gif

My CR-V that my wife comandeered once we had our 1st kid was the first auto my wife ever drove. Her previous car was a 1st gen dsm eclipse. All that and a doctor, too.

It's not genetic, though, as my 3 year old won't even touch her Dora the Explorer Power Wheels Jeep...
dunno.gif

My mother.... she's buying a BMW X5 with the 6-speed manual... Crazy but whatever... and yah, I've met a few that drive them. Sucks when I drive their cars because I can drive stick but not as well as they can.

No real need for this skill anymore, heck, even huge Mack trucks like 10 - wheel dumps are Automatics now and they are also offered for tractor-trailers also. The automatics in cars get the same mileage as the manual so why even bother?

If it were not for my wife, my car would be manual just because it is a skill not everyone can handl, and it is fun to drive manual. Besides, a car with manual will be less likely to be stolen by some stupid teenagers for a joy ride nowaday. Do you think those teenagers have enough IQ to learn manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back