Have you ever played an instrument well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed at musically talented people. Tell us if you have ever played any musical instruments well.

I played trombone in Jr high... Sigh

I play a really good stereo
grin.gif

Drums....still do. Played throughout the 80's on the USO circuit and was in a band that was warm up acts for Katrina and the Waves, Quiet Riot and Inxs. That got me though college financially. Kept playing throughout the 90's, but in that time frame, if you were 30 plus years old, you just weren't going to "make" it. So, I settled down, got a steady government job...really glad I kept after my college degree as it paid off. Played in church bands for a little, but my heavy rock style just didn't agree with the congregation. I am who I am!!!! But, the daughter is now taking up percussion and I've been schooling her on all things drums. I know there are other musicians in my neck of the woods that just want to keep playing and can still play, but don't. I'd love to try and get another band together and maybe play one weekend a month and just do 70-90's tunes. Maybe some day.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Drums....still do. Played throughout the 80's on the USO circuit and was in a band that was warm up acts for Katrina and the Waves, Quiet Riot and Inxs. That got me though college financially. Kept playing throughout the 90's, but in that time frame, if you were 30 plus years old, you just weren't going to "make" it. So, I settled down, got a steady government job...really glad I kept after my college degree as it paid off. Played in church bands for a little, but my heavy rock style just didn't agree with the congregation. I am who I am!!!! But, the daughter is now taking up percussion and I've been schooling her on all things drums. I know there are other musicians in my neck of the woods that just want to keep playing and can still play, but don't. I'd love to try and get another band together and maybe play one weekend a month and just do 70-90's tunes. Maybe some day.

Cool!.... Old rockers are awesome!

I think that people who can make a lifetime hobby of playing an instrument and are always "trying to get better" are very rewarded for doing so. I'm similar to Schmoe in that I played drums in club bands in my 20s and 30s, did the church thing, and have played in public sporadically over the last decade and a half.

The thing is I can lose myself in practicing, doodling around, or performing...which is a great thing for your psyche. There are ways to "make it" on a personal level that are just as rewarding as a regular gig. I recently re-upped with friend I hadn't seen in several years and he wants to play again...so the cycle starts over again with the music and the friendship.

I am amazingly musically gifted with boundless talent, the more beers I have the better I get.
This is obvious and undeniable.
But get this, ALL my friends take quite the opposite view, do think it's jealousy?, or am I really in a minority of one in my opinion of my ability?.

Claud.

Trombone.. Baritone and Trumpet back in and 7th and 8th.. probably 5-6 also. Got awards from a couple universities every year. Switched schools and didn't keep it up like I should of.

I did pretty well with a Trumpet. Played in several performances. Haven't picked it up in years. Too many other interests I guess.

My gf's dad has had a band since he was in high school in the mid 60s and still plays. They'd do Beatles,Rolling Stones,and Moody Blues stuff on the school's stage during lunch. He tried to teach me how to play a guitar and I just can't get the hang of it to save my soul!!

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I think that people who can make a lifetime hobby of playing an instrument and are always "trying to get better" are very rewarded for doing so. I'm similar to Schmoe in that I played drums in club bands in my 20s and 30s, did the church thing, and have played in public sporadically over the last decade and a half.

The thing is I can lose myself in practicing, doodling around, or performing...which is a great thing for your psyche. There are ways to "make it" on a personal level that are just as rewarding as a regular gig. I recently re-upped with friend I hadn't seen in several years and he wants to play again...so the cycle starts over again with the music and the friendship.

Well said

Originally Posted By: Claud
I am amazingly musically gifted with boundless talent, the more beers I have the better I get.
This is obvious and undeniable.
But get this, ALL my friends take quite the opposite view, do think it's jealousy?, or am I really in a minority of one in my opinion of my ability?.

Claud.

Lol... Obviously jealous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back