Have you ever owned a "dream" car you really wanted?

‘67 GT500 mustang
MKIV Toyota Supra

Two very different cars on the opposite site of the spectrum but have always loved. Both are pretty much unobtanium for me. I’d settle for a late model GT350 mustang though. I have actually driven that one and it’s quite an experience. But I’d have to sell the truck for that one. Which can’t happen because I need it to tow my camper 🤣

Always wanted a Panther. I have one. Luckily I have attainable dream vehicles.

I'd love a nice stock YJ Wrangler next.
A Wrangler was mine, and I have had one for 5 years now.

My dream car has always been a new Hemi Challenger. Then I rented one, and also a ZL1 Camaro. My behavior behind the wheel was so bad that I decided I couldn’t handle owning one, so I went down a level to my Jeep. I couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• 7A83BD51-0C4E-4B33-8354-CC318FCB39A2.jpeg
    7A83BD51-0C4E-4B33-8354-CC318FCB39A2.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 8
In addition:
"Nobody is impressed with what you're driving except you."
Yeah I kind of followed the Dave Ramsey ideals on money. I'd rather have my house paid off then have more into my car. When I lived in Wichita I saw a lot of people in trailer parks with brand new Corvettes and I was shocked with the priorities that some people had.

I can see it in NY, but not here in Cali, the epicenter of auto car culture.. ;)
My 16-year-old son started driving my '02 at just about the time Katy Perry's Teenage Dream video was released. The video featured a friend's 1600 cabriolet, and the family resemblance gave his '02 a healthy boost in its cool factor in his high school parking lot.

I was once the owner of a 64-1/2 Mustang convertible. It was actually my first car as a teenager. I should have never sold it.
Funny how you ask some guys about relationships and they say, ‘ Should have never bought it,’ and then the conversations turn to cars and the same ones say ‘ Should have never sold it.’ Oh well😕.

To flip the script a bit, has anyone bought a car that they liked but in time grew to love?
I have 4:
1995 318ti Club Sport
1999 Wrangler Sahara
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
2020 C43(I was seduced rather quickly)
I find that I can "make friends" with pretty well any car. Having said this, obviously, I'd never in the first place by a really "doo-doo" car.

I think that the essence of whether a car is not a "doo-doo" car, is whether the car fully executes on what it was conceived to do by its designers. Does it "carburet" smoothly without crazy bottom-end "sogginess", do the synchro's operate smooth-as-butter(at least when warm), are the wheels laterally-located well (so mid-corner pavement discontinuities don't upset the chassis, especially when cornering), if it has an A/T will it readily downshift without mega throttle provocation, are the upshifts lazy or reasonable snappy (or better yet, imperceptible), is the steering accurate and NOT wont to be affected by crosswinds, etc.

Even a "pedestrian" car like an 80's domestic compact could fit into the category of "fully competent".

Last edited:
Closest I got was my 2008 Suburban 3/4 ton just like the CIA drove around in. Ordered it brand new from a check list. 4 wheel drive, rear posi, sunroof, twin video screens in back seat, 352 HP 6.0 V-8, 6 speed transmission. Still have it.
Here is is. It’s dark blue but almost looks black in the photo. My buddy Dave is doing recon work for the CIA. Oops, I wasn't supposed to say that.

FB0127ED-6D09-43DF-8DB1-1F5BE1314957.jpeg

‘67 GT500 mustang
MKIV Toyota Supra

Two very different cars on the opposite site of the spectrum but have always loved. Both are pretty much unobtanium for me. I’d settle for a late model GT350 mustang though. I have actually driven that one and it’s quite an experience. But I’d have to sell the truck for that one. Which can’t happen because I need it to tow my camper 🤣
Tow it with the Mustang 🤣 Westin did
maxresdefault (1).jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

To flip the script a bit, has anyone bought a car that they liked but in time grew to love?
I have 4:
1995 318ti Club Sport
1999 Wrangler Sahara
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
2020 C43(I was seduced rather quickly)
Not so much “liked but grew to love” but I loved my Caliber in much the same way a dad loves a pet he was adamant he didn’t want if that makes sense?

It did almost nothing good, couldn’t get out of its own way being an anemic 2.0L cranking out 158HP mated to the most rubber band feeling CVT I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving, and the interior was a sea of hard gray plastic. Fuel economy was 23-24mpg, you could eek out 27 if you babied the absolute hell out of it but it accelerated so slowly at that point people would be mad at you lol

And yet, it never failed to start, never left me stranded, AC blew ice cold, heat blew hot enough to be painful, and not a single rattle. Sold it to my brother in law who beat on it like it owed him money, he put another 60k miles on it, and same story not a single issue when he traded it in for a Ram 1500. Granted I only put about 6,000 miles a year on it despite driving it 5 days a week, and he did 60k in 3 years.

Back