Have you ever met anybody famous?

Before I retired I was on a plane flying somewhere every week.....Once in first class on AWA airlines I sat next to Alex Chilton of the Boxtops....who sang give me a ticket for an airplane in 68 I think....he was flying to the bay area to sing in some event....I just read he passed away some years ago....I still have his auto on an AWA napkin.
Then flying home to Phoenix in Southwest cattle car I sat next to Susan Cowsill who was flying to AZ to see her mother who had lung cancer or something like that and needed the dry climate. I asked her why are flying on the cattle car ....i would think with the money they made she could go first class ....she said her father was a idiot and lost all their money and hopes he was dead and in hell....I did not say much the rest of the flight.
Im surprised somebody would know who she was and asked to an autograph .....sure she around 50ish. I would have sat next to her not having a clue who she was the was the whole flight from San Jose.

My Grandma's Sister back in the day sat next to Pete Rose flying from west palm beach to cleveland ohio.
and she got 4 autographed cards for the Grandkids. :)

Reactions: wlk
I met a famous hockey player. Bill Clement of the Philadelphia Flyers Stanley Cup Championship team from '74 and '75. A beast of a defenseman and helluva nice guy. Don't think I can ever top that one, seeing how he's a local hero.

I met Paula Deen when she came to Roanoke Virginia to Grand Home Furnishings for an autograph signing and maybe had some furniture to display I can’t remember but it was nice. We talked for a few minutes as she did with everyone there. Have pictures somewhere just don’t want to post them because me and my parents are in them lol 😂 and I didn’t smile because I don’t like pictures 😂. I also met Nascar driver Joey Logano too.

Last edited:
A few I can think of off the top my head:
Kenny Daniel (Kenny and the Kasuals)
Merrill Osmond (The Osmonds)
Carl Edwards
Jack Roush
La Sonora Dinamita (Colombian band. We went backstage with them after a concert and hung out with them. Got a buch of pictures with them).

Before I retired I was on a plane flying somewhere every week.....Once in first class on AWA airlines I sat next to Alex Chilton of the Boxtops....who sang give me a ticket for an airplane in 68 I think....he was flying to the bay area to sing in some event....I just read he passed away some years ago....I still have his auto on an AWA napkin.
Then flying home to Phoenix in Southwest cattle car I sat next to Susan Cowsill who was flying to AZ to see her mother who had lung cancer or something like that and needed the dry climate. I asked her why are flying on the cattle car ....i would think with the money they made she could go first class ....she said her father was a idiot and lost all their money and hopes he was dead and in hell....I did not say much the rest of the flight.
Im surprised somebody would know who she was and asked to an autograph .....sure she around 50ish. I would have sat next to her not having a clue who she was the was the whole flight from San Jose.

It's estimated the parents of the Osmond brothers lost 13 million dollars of their earnings. The fortunate thing is Marie and Donnie were able to make some of that back in their later years. They had one of the top rated-longest running shows in Las Vegas. Now Donnie is getting is OWN SHOW and will be opening soon.

I met RJ Mitte from Breaking Bad a couple years ago. Just wanted to say "hi" but he wanted to chat. We talked for a while. Very nice guy.

I met Billy Gardell a couple years ago, too. I didn't recognize him but my wife did but she couldn't recall his real name. Only that he was on TV. He said good morning to me and I replied likewise. Maybe he was looking for more recognition from me. LOL. He was trying to print out a boarding pass and couldn't get the printer to work so he asked an employee at the hotel. He was super nice and polite to her.

I've met Pete Rose a few times. He's just like he is on TV and radio. A little bitter. If someone can be friendly and bitter at the same time, it's Pete.

Had a nice chat with Louis Prima's daughter, Lena.

Joe Frazier shortly before he died and Tim Witherspoon at the same party.

Greg "The Hammer" Valentine was on my flight and I chatted with him waiting in line for the bathroom at the airport after we landed. If anyone can be friendly and terrifying at the same time, it's The Hammer.

It's estimated the parents of the Osmond brothers lost 13 million dollars of their earnings. The fortunate thing is Marie and Donnie were able to make some of that back in their later years. They had one of the top rated-longest running shows in Las Vegas. Now Donnie is getting is OWN SHOW and will be opening soon.
Saw the Donnie and Marie show a few years ago when it first came to Vegas. It's a very good show. They know their reputation and make fun of it while owning it.

Dan Dotson of Storage Wars is a distant relative, have met him at a few family functions.

Have met both Tony Beets at Barrett Jackson and Dakota Fred at a gold mining event/show, both are on Gold Rush.

Went with my dad when I was a teenager to a wine bottle signing of Geoff Tate (Queensrhyche).

Met Don Yenko back in 1980 and Richard Petty a couple years later. Ran into Franco Harris once along with Lynn Swan of the 1970's Steelers both were really nice guys. A girl I knew from High School dated Mark Malone when he was the third string QB of the Steelers in the early eighties, he was an arrogant piece of work. I had a class in college with Troy Benson who eventually ended up playing Line Backer for the Jets, was another really great guy to know.

Few years back met Rob Walton at the Salinas walmart buying oil. I recognized him from the track. I made a funny comment to let him know I knew who he was and he laughed.

I met Vincent Price after a performance at what is now Truman State University in Kirksville, MO, in I think 1976. He actually came to our Fraternity House afterwards and had a couple a brewsky's. Seemed genuine.

Also met President George W. Bush when he visited our store to promote the new Medicare $4 prescriptions for generic meds. I have a picture with our group of onlookers from the White House a few weeks later. The best part of that day were all the military fighter jets flying over town while he was there. Several afterburner climbs and one sonic boom.

Vincent Price was more interesting.

Last edited:
Back