Have you ever gone to the junkyard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
My wife is one of those people that thinks cars are disposable.

Does she have the same opinion about spouses?

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
My wife is one of those people that thinks cars are disposable.

Does she have the same opinion about spouses?

I imagine that most of us are considered a more durable and resilient utility.

I used to love going to salvage yards in high school/college. I was always in search of a rare center console for my 1991 Explorer Sport (never found it). Along the way, I did find plenty of parts for our 1993 Sable and the 1991 Explorer. Lights, thermostat housings, MAF, etc. Whenever I broke some plastic trim...off to the salvage yard to pick up more. The yards would charge you maybe $5 for the all the pieces to trim the seat rails where Ford would charge >$40. It was a fabulous time.

The Explorer eventually needed a 2nd transmission/clutch rebuild at 13 years of age and the Sable met with a deer but soldiered on another 3 years before needing costly repairs. They've both returned the parts we bought years ago now. Good memories though, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
[

Seems there is a small cottage industry in Mexico were they come in to the United States in teams to buy at least one running junker with a hitch and tow a non running junker back to Mexico for sale. If you pay attention, you will see them convoying two-three at a time back to Mexico.

Yes, we have been seeing this for years in S. Texas. It is especially noticable around the weekends. Now they have gone upscale - I have started to see them using bobtail trucks to haul the cars.

Now pay attention people!! This is the free enterprise system at work!!

Now that you see there's a market, it's someone's (insert deity of choice) given right (make that a mandate) to cut out the Mexican entrepreneur.

Do what Aldi did to the stuff that used to hit the food banks
grin2.gif

I think another place where junk yards get their cars is from those charities that take in donated cars for the promise of a tax write-off. I've seen them MANY times; coming into the yards on a tow truck, lovingly cleaned and polished one last time so it would look especially nice for the disabled person or cancer victim... The truth is, those cars that get donated are most likely wholesaled off to the scrapyards if they're anything other than a late model car. What charity wants to try re-selling a 10-year old car, no matter how nice it is? If you're donating a car to charity, don't think for one minute that the people that the charity helps (disabled, cancer patients) will be driving around in it.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I thought they were called Salvage yards. Junk yards for unusable junk and salvage yard for stuff that is salvageable.

The two terms have been merged into meaninglessness.

Right along with "wrecking yard".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back