Have you ever been denied warranty service because of the viscosity of your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ironic thing to me (yes I am a sick oilpuppy) is: Amsoil can reduce the quality of their motor oil to obtain true API SL approval. (it is an option!)

API performance is truly a minimum barrier. No cars have failed because of Amsoil motor oil.

I think this is dealer or even service advisor specific. Having dealt with different service advisors, some love the fact that I use a synthetic whereas others warn me only to use Castrol synthetic. There are even some jokers who tell me NOT to use 5w-40, which is the *recommended* visc. according to my owners manual
dunno.gif
. Alledgedly, it is "too thick"
twak.gif

So if warranty is ever denied, try another service advisor, or another dealer. Problem solved.

[ July 23, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: VeeDubb ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
The ironic thing to me (yes I am a sick oilpuppy) is: Amsoil can reduce the quality of their motor oil to obtain true API SL approval. (it is an option!)

API performance is truly a minimum barrier. No cars have failed because of Amsoil motor oil.

The quote no cars have failed because of Amsoil motor oil is pretty strong!? In reality most oil failures are due to owner's over extending change intervals or running an engine low for whatever reason. Not too many will admit to that so data is poor. There are exceptions of course to that with poorly designed or flawed motors.

YZF150,

Never heard of this happening in 25 years of using Amsoil ....My advice if you are concerned about this would be to limit oil change intervals to the maximum recommended by the manufacturer while the vehicle is under warranty. If you can show evidence of regular oil changes, they aren't going to care if you are using Redline, Amsoil, etc.

As far as API Iicensed vs non API licensed - I'd be surprised if even 10% of service managers were familiar with the details or intent of this program.

TooSlick

Harper - it may be strong, but it is true.

I don't disagree about how some engines fail- I mean we all have heard the stories of people just buying new car and driving. Not even reading/understanding about oil changes, and just blissfully ignoring the oil light, and then the engine blows.....

quote:

Replaced Amsoil with Valuelessline because no API label? Are you having us on or what??

Nope..Not "having you on" Until Amsoil is API im not using it. it's not about which is better. I know Amsoil is better then any straight dine. That's not the issue. Issue is the warranty. I'm not about to give either company any more foothold into deying a claim and giving me grief then I have to. I hate stealers and there warranty companies enough as it is. Lets not exacerbate it more by making me want to drive my dodge up the service managers/oil companies *** .
itschy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Starbreaker666:
Of course I wont us NON API stuff just for those very reasons. Amsoil is a great oil but i wont use it due to the fact it's NOT API cert'd. I made that expensive mistake. I did not study amsoil enough. bought 6 quarts and drained it a day later after i learned of it's NON api cert. Meeting and acutally BEING API are WAY different to me. So until that day comes Valvoline and 3.5k changes are what I use.

Amsoil does have some API certifed oils. Series 7500 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30, and 10w-40.

Keep in mind these oils are only Group 3 (made with dino oil basestocks) as opposed to the other Amsoil oils being Group 4 (synthetic basestocks).

[ July 23, 2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

So... use an inferior oil during the warranty period, to avoid a tiny chance of a warranty battle over oil brand, and in exchange for that, when the warranty expires you have a car with X years of use with inferior oil, just as the engine is starting to get old enough to show real signs of wear and tear, that will now have to be paid for out of pocket anyway.

Cheers, 3MP

Ted, I don't know how you gathered from my introduction in this post that I was concerned in the least about this, but I thank you for your reply.

No, I'm trying to get at the likelihood of having a warranty problem as a function of using an oil with viscosity or certification (or lack of) which is at variance with manufacturer's recommendations/requirements. I'm trying to understand why someone like Starbreaker666 would choose to remain hostage to these little-understood, sometimes less-than-optimal oiling recommendations.

This is not personal, so don't take offense, Starbreaker. Even in the face of an overwhelming preponderance of experience on this score, this warranty issue continues to be significant. I find that remarkable.

I started this post to attempt to see whether those who say "don't worry about it" are out in left field over this. But thus far, from the replies here, there is no reason not to get informed and educated, and to use a motor oil tailored for one's vehicle/environment/usage patterns, even if it does not agree with the vehicle manual.

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
But thus far, from the replies here, there is no reason not to get informed and educated, and to use a motor oil tailored for one's vehicle/environment/usage patterns, even if it does not agree with the vehicle manual.

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is exactly why I use a non-API certified Group 4 synthetic 15w-40 oil in my VW TDI instead of the API certified Group 3 5w-40 synthetic VW says I should use.

Because API certs don't mean squat to me, or my motor, and I don't need the cold cranking characteristics of a 5w-XX oil in my mild winters that never get below 20F.
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back