Have you ever been denied warranty service because of the viscosity of your oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prospect of being denied engine service under warranty because of using a non-API oil or an oil with viscosity other than what is recommended is a constant theme here. I believe that it drives some decisions about oil choice that may not be optimal, based on driver habit, environment, vehicle usage, etc. Let's see how much of a real-world issue it is here, and how much is it mythology.

1. Have you ever been denied warranty service because you used a non-API oil?

2. Have you ever been denied warranty service because you deviated from the viscosity recommended/required in the manual?

3. Has a dealer ever questioned what viscosity or brand of oil you used for the purpose of determining your compliance with the manual?

goatdude, we are to take that to mean you have had mechanical engine work performed under warranty, while you were using a non-recommended viscosity in a non-API oil?

1. No
2. No
3. No

The problem has not come up. I think it's not likely to come up. If you are paranoid buy a case of the correct viscosity and then exchange it for something else. Yea, I'm a dishonest ***tard
grin.gif
You can keep the origional receipt bc a direct exchange usually doesn't reauire one.
Note-I would make real sure that I give that store extra business bc of the hassle expense.

If you choose to confront the issue-head on, I think you will win that battle. Keeping a record of oil analysis can't hurt.

I really don't think it will be an issue.

1. No

2. No.

3. Yes. When I brought in Mobil 1 5w30 for the free dealer services for my Lexus GS430 (told them to use my oil rather than the oil they provide for free), the dealer rep questioned why I was using this instead of "Lexus" or "Toyota" oil (whatever that is).
nono.gif

Funny thing is, the mechanic was standing there and his eyes got real wide and he told the rep that this oil was better than the stuff they were using and would not cause any warranty issues.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
goatdude, we are to take that to mean you have had mechanical engine work performed under warranty, while you were using a non-recommended viscosity in a non-API oil?

- yes, several times with several different vehicles. The issue never came up but then the cars weren't in for any internal engine failure but did have engine work done.

Nope never denied (I started Amsoil pretty early in the 850)

Nope - In 1996 5W-30, 15W-40 - both OK and both in the case when I went to the dealer for other stuff

Well sort of but didn't have anything to do with the oil itself (per your survey) - Volvo had an KNOWN issue with an electric (smog) air injector system (suckie problem but I won't go there) Anyway when I was b#tching out Volvo on the phone about ME having to pick up the cost, the guy asked me if I worked on the car, well I said:"sure....routine maintenance....oil changes and stuff..." He said - "well then your warranty is void."...I almost fell over (because I knew he was full of cow hockey). Bottom line is Volvo didn't deny my warranty for other items (it has now run out because of time/miles) but I still just bagged fixing the silly thing due to a technical "improvement" by the owner....
rolleyes.gif
(don't ask)

YOUR warranty cannot be denied by the manufacturer because you didn't use thier oil.. Though for being out of grade yes..but they would have to prove it was the oils fualt...in which case a company like Amsoil would warranty your engine. If they insist you use thier products..then they must provide it for free...I believe it is called The Masgnusson, Moss Act...

3x No for me.

Of course I wont us NON API stuff just for those very reasons. Amsoil is a great oil but i wont use it due to the fact it's NOT API cert'd. There warranty is not enough of a piece of mind for me to use it while my 02 dodge is under warranty, and will be for hte next 7 years. Now, at the end of those 7 years i may consider switchinbg to stuff like Amsoil. I made that expensive mistake. I did not study amsoil enough. bought 6 quarts and drained it a day later after i learned of it's NON api cert. Meeting and acutally BEING API are WAY different to me. So until that day comes Valvoline and 3.5k changes are what I use.

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
If they insist you use thier products..then they must provide it for free...I believe it is called The Masgnusson, Moss Act...

Deepsquat,

(Warning: this gets a little tedious)

I have not read the Moss-Magnusson Act but I fear there may be a loophole in it that could work against guys like us. Let's suppose Car Manufacturer B (the initial chosen is deliberate) says you must use C Brand Motor Oil of an SAE 10W60 weight grade. And you respond, "OK, provide it for free." And they say, "OK we will; just bring the car in approximately once a year in keeping with the owners manual requirements or your service indicator and we'll change your oil for free."
And you say, "But I change my oil at 5000 miles regardless of the service indicator or owners' manual, so give me the oil free for the interim changes." And they say, "(1) it comes in bulk, and we are not pumping it out of the drums for you, and (2) anyway, you are changing more often then we require so we don't have to give you free oil."

Would most of us who change our oil more often than required be comfortable with this arrangement? Maybe the way M-M is written it can't happen, but, as I said, I can see a loophole for OEMS here.

[ July 22, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
...in which case a company like Amsoil would warranty your engine.

Ummm..not exactly. I believe Amsoil may be the best or one of the best oils going. But as far as the warranty... My understanding is that they have never paid up on a warranty. The reason?? Amsoil warrants their oil to perform to their standards in a "mechanically sound engine". So really by definition-if the engine fails-the engine (not the oil ) is defective.

Perhaps Pablo and TooSlick could help here??
wink.gif

http://www.amsoil.com/warranty.htm
"THE WARRANTY MAY NOT BE EXTENDED TO COVER:
8. Failure of equipment due to a pre-existing condition that is unrelated to the use of AMSOIL."

"AMSOIL RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REJECT A WARRANTY CLAIM FOR ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REASONS:
9. Failure was the result of an OEM defect."

Whereas if you follow the car maker's spec for maintenance products (oil, etc.) and anything goes wrong that isn't caused by misuse, you'll probably get the warranty claim paid without hassle.

The warrantor (car maker) certainly has the right to only pay for warranty claims when their specs for products are followed. If they give requirements which are not followed, why should they pay? Magnuson-Moss relates to requiring a certain brand name of product being used to satisfy warranty requirements. It clearly does not relate to specifications for products from many sources.

Ken

[ July 22, 2003, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Yes, thank you, aware of M-M Act. I'm not asking these questions because I need advice about going outside warranty recommendations. Not an issue.

I am asking because I want to know how much of a reality this whole consideration is. Thus far, from the responses, I'd say that it's an unfounded fear.

I particularly like this one: Funny thing is, the mechanic was standing there and his eyes got real wide and he told the rep that this oil was better than the stuff they were using and would not cause any warranty issues.

Couple this with the many instances of dealers using oils not covered under warranties, and there is even more confirmation that this should not be a concern.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
If you are paranoid buy a case of the correct viscosity and then exchange it for something else. Yea, I'm a dishonest ***tard
grin.gif
You can keep the origional receipt bc a direct exchange usually doesn't require one

I guess the cat's out of the bag Al
wink.gif
, I have been doing that ever since I purchased my Explorer. -Joe

[ July 22, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

You will never be denied warrenty because of the oil you have used if you take your car to the dealer and have it serviced before the severe service limit while it is under warrenty. Anything less opens the door for them to deny coverage.

Engine damage attributed to oil is never caused by engine oil but by lack of lubrication or foreign contamination.

Lack of lubrication can be caused by blocked oil passages which can be blocked by foreign matter or by sludge.

Foreign contamination can cause excessive wear via dirt or antifreeze or sabotage (someone pours something in your oil fill).

The only part that I can see which would be damaged by oil would be the catalytic convertor of someone running diesel lubricating oil high in sulfur in a gas engine. This is reputed to shorten the life of converters.

I use amsoil after break-in and never worry about the warrenties. I also use it in the trannys and diffs and power steering if applicable.

quote:

Originally posted by wulimaster:

The only part that I can see which would be damaged by oil would be the catalytic convertor of someone running diesel lubricating oil high in sulfur in a gas engine. This is reputed
^
correction Phosphor

to shorten the life of converters.

So far I've only had one mechanicle failure under warranty that could have been caused by the type of oil.

The turbo went out in my old 1998 VW Passat 1.8T with only 60k miles. Not once was I ever asked what kind of oil I used or what viscosity. The turbo was replaced no questions asked.

IMO, the odds of a dealership voiding your warranty simply because of what oil you choose to use are between slim and none.

Great thread! I would have to answer 'no' on all three questions. I was genuinely disturbed when I bought my 2002 Ranger and found when reading the owners manual that I was supposed to use 5w20. I had used 5w30 in my 2 previous Rangers and they ran great with no problems. After reading many UOA's on 5w20 I realize its not a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back