Have you changed your driving habits?

Have gas prices changed your driving habits yet? Making less trips? Driving slower? Buying/using a different vehicle?

No changes here - drive 75 miles highway per day to and from work, already drive at the limit bc of a speeding ticket, and rarely go out when not working, just keep myself busy at home.

Still makes $$$ sense to keep the job, and can’t afford a new/different car, so will just keep keepin’ on…how about you?

Planning on changing my biweekly trips to MA for edibles to once a month instead. That's 100 miles roundtrip. Can't wait for recreational dispensaries to open here... My commute is already short enough and I infrequently go out because it's winter and **** winter.

What can you do? Unless you're really driving a lot and have a vehicle with really bad gas mileage, you just keep on doing what you're doing. I already rarely leave the house.

Gas prices? No. I own 3 vehicles that get about 16 MPG on a good day, but I have a short commute and don't have to go far for anything. I have reduced my driving because of how crazy and distracted people are. I used to like just driving around aimlessly. Not anymore.

My return to office coincides with the rise… its not correlated of course but I plan to drive more not less. But I may take less trips out on weekends and consolidate trips.

Not much. I drive the same since I cant drive any more efficiently without boiling people up. I CC 43mph on the slow lane of a 40 or 45 as i get the best mpg there since that's exactly when it upshifts an goes into OD and if i can coast without enraging someone I will.

In my 5.3 2wd ext cab sierra in this fine time of the year i can average 19.7-20.3 mpg from before i turn the engine on and back out of my driveway to when i get home, park, and back the key so i let the computer track every drop. That's if i don't run the ac compressor but in the summers it's around 17.5-18.5 from the ac being cranked.

Now if i cheat and reset the mpg counter while I'm cruising it'll average 27mpg but that's unfair. Crossing it with the distance and gas to fill up and its 97+% accurate so i trust the mpg counter. And that's surprising out of an ancient 4 speed, no vvt, no afm, no gdi ohv.

I have Cooper somethings i forgot the name but they're all seasons. I do air em up right to the limit to get the best mpg though. lil bit rougher ride but it's not as rough as having the business end of the pump display aiming right between my eyes while i stare at it like a deer in headlights.

Gas this morning at Walmart is 3.99 and elsewhere up to 4.19. When i caught a glimpse of the price i instinctively screamed in high pitched Spanish tone inside my truck so loud i fully woke my groggy self up with it. It used to be 1.37 not even 2 years ago.

Really wish i had a Ford Maverick hybrid right about now.

Last edited:
A lot of my driving, I'd say, is something I view as "recreational" (I drive a lot, but don't have a long commute or anything). I road trip/do weekend trips quite a bit (driving the Camry around 20k miles a year), and I wouldn't say that I'm any less likely to do that at current prices than I would've been with cheaper fuel, with the caveat that the 35mpg or so that I get on the highway means that my fuel expenses are still pretty low. I like to drive/road trip enough that my demand for gas is pretty inelastic, so I'd certainly look to reduce expenses elsewhere before driving substantially fewer miles (though I might reduce highway speeds a touch to improve mileage).

I've been commuting in an electric car for 4 years now. Still charging at the house with 110v. Car is always warm when I get in it in the morning. It has instant heat when I leave work in the evening. I never have to go somewhere to fuel up.

Edit: Also, It's fast.

Driving the 95 GMC less and the Equinox more. The last two years caused less miles in totality and don`t expect that will change in the foreseeable future.

Back