Have Valvoline European 5w-40. Use in Cummins?

Well, after 'stockpiling' (50 quarts) Valvoline VV966 for use in the Diesel Jeep and Sprinter, I learned that Valvoline 'cleverly' changed the specs but kept the same Part Number (formerly Valvoline Advanced MST 5w-40, that had MB 229.51 'approval'...) and the 'new European formula' lost the MB approval according to the BeVo listing.

So my question is, can this be used in my ancient Dodge with the 5.9l 24V Cummins Diesel? It isn't driven much and would at least see annual oil changes, or if it happened to hit 3000 miles, at that interval.

Thought maybe I could add Lucas ZDDP additive to 'fortify' the '5w-40 European Formula'. I would appreciate any constructive advice

A lot of great info here. I have learned much.

Thanks.

I would not use any oil that does not carry the approval required for an engine.

Why would you think that the amount of ZDDP is what makes it no longer have the approval?

I don't know.

I know that the Valvoline European 5w-40, while a full synthetic oil, is not a Heavy Duty Oil per se.

It's more like a 'passenger car oil' and doesn't meet a heavy duty CF-4 or CG-4 spec, that was originally called for in the 98.5 Cummins ISB.

The Cummins ran on Mobil One 5w-30 in its early life during the winter up North.

If I can use up the Valvoline 5w-40 'European Formula in the Cummins without breaking anything, that would be preferable.

And I absolutely would not consider using anything other than a Mercedes Benz approved oil in either the Jeep (MB OM642 3.0 V6) or the Sprinter (OM642).

For those I am currently using Motul 8100 X-Clean in 5w-40.

The notion of adding a ZDDP additive popped into my head in order to use up the European Formula in the old Dodge with the Cummins.

Based on what I have read so far, I realize it is not recommended by some (to try and outguess the chemists).

So, just asking?

My point was just that you can't take an oil that doesn't meet a particular specification or approval and add some magic elixir so that it does.

What does Dodge say in the owner's manual for oil specification?

Why not simplify your life and use the oil specified by manufacture? Sounds pretty simple to me. 🙂

The Cummins 5.9l 24-Valve ISB (1998.5 Dodge RAM) originally specified 15w-40 (API CF-4 or CG-4).

If I can't use up the European Formula 5w-40 oil, I plan on using Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 Full Synthetic in the Cummins.

Its been a couple of years and only about 500 miles since the last oil change in the Dodge. Previous fill up was with Rotella T ; 15w-40 CJ-4.
Its history includes a bunch of different 15w-40 oils (Mostly Pennzoil CG-4), but during the winters in Alaska when it was young, I used 5w-30 Mobil 1 so it could start when it was 20-30 below during the winters.

I know, that was a 'Passenger car' oil, but that's what the 'experts' up there recommended.

Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
Why not simplify your life and use the oil specified by manufacture? Sounds pretty simple to me. 🙂

Well, It certainly is simple and easy to do that.

On the other hand, I wasn't 'paying Attention' while Amazon 'Subscribe and Save' orders were shipping 'my supply' of a certain part number of oil, without realizing that Valvoline had changed the specs and formulation so that it fell off of Mercedes Benz Approved oil list. So, I go to do the seasonal oil changes in the two OM642's, and notice the bottles are different (even though the Part Numbers are the same) and Do Not show MB approval under 229.51!

A call to Valvoline confirmed that they no longer make Valvoline Full Synthetic Advanced MST in 5w-40, and don't plan on doing so anytime soon.

And so, I have all this oil now. (During the last couple of years I was using between 60-73 quarts of the stuff. The OM642's get oil changes at 5000 mile intervals.)

Originally Posted by RetiredGuyOR
I don't know.

I know that the Valvoline European 5w-40, while a full synthetic oil, is not a Heavy Duty Oil per se.

It's more like a 'passenger car oil' and doesn't meet a heavy duty CF-4 or CG-4 spec, that was originally called for in the 98.5 Cummins ISB.

The Cummins ran on Mobil One 5w-30 in its early life during the winter up North.

If I can use up the Valvoline 5w-40 'European Formula in the Cummins without breaking anything, that would be preferable.

Valvoline 5W40 EV has MB229.5 approval but not MB229.51.
Actually, MB229.5 is bit stricter on deposit requirements than MB229.51.
This oil absolutely can be used for your application as your Dodge does not have DPF. Actually it has very robust HTHS of 3.7 (same like MST), same KV100 at 13.1, and same Noack at 10%. It seems that Valvoline only bumped SAPS and additive levels in this oil and made it High-SAPS.

Thanks Guys, for the replies.

Now, I wonder, what are some of the criteria that would be different between a 'Heavy Duty Diesel' engine lubricating oil as compared to a modern Passenger Car Diesel oil?

Interesting to learn how the different classification schemes 'cross over' each other - see where they are different and where there are close similarities.

Where would I look to find more information?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dogememe
I think the Valvoline 5w-40 you have would work fine in all three of your mentioned diesels.

I am not willing to take the chance with the MB OM642 V6's - they both have DPF's and a replacement DPF for the Jeep runs around $3k at Rock Auto.

The 2018 Sprinter is still under (and will be under) the extended warranty for quite a while.

Originally Posted by RetiredGuyOR
Thanks Guys, for the replies.

Now, I wonder, what are some of the criteria that would be different between a 'Heavy Duty Diesel' engine lubricating oil as compared to a modern Passenger Car Diesel oil?

Interesting to learn how the different classification schemes 'cross over' each other - see where they are different and where there are close similarities.

Where would I look to find more information?

HDD has more emphasis on corrosion and oxidative thickening (though BMW and MB PCMO approvals are also very strict here, especially BMW).
However, we have to take into consideration that these PCMO are lubricating small turbo engines that could be more demanding than big diesel engine that has huge oil sump and generally oversized parts.

Thanks there @edyvw for the info. After reading some of the technical information around here about different formulations of ZDDP additives, and considering some other advice about trying to make changes to the formulation by adding 'oil treatments' or 'additives' ( without consideration or understanding of the total effect), I have decided that I will not add any ZDDP or other additives to the oil.

I'll just use it as it comes out of the bottles, and change it frequently, in any case no more than 3000 mile intervals or yearly at a minimum.

"Learning all the time....."

(Thanks again)

Back