Have to put my friend down after 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 12 years since we got our pure bread long haired golden retriever, but we are going to put him down tomorrow.

Mackenzie is his name and he was the best dog you could ever have. He was always loyal to you and had an affinity for shredding anything paper based, especially Tim Horton cups & lids.

He would also walk beside you and listen very well, unless there was a body of water near by and that would go out the window.

He always knew if you weren't feeling well or upset and would make a point to come over to you and take your mind off things... How he knew, I will never know.

So after a long happy life of 12 years we are having him put down tomorrow because he has a tumor which is squeezing his other organs and making it hard for him to breathe, he has arthritis and hip displacea (sp?) and is almost blind.

We are planting a Golden Apple tree in the back yard in his memory with a memorial stone with his name on it to put underneath because when he was a pup, my dad planted an apple tree in the back yard of other house and he went and pulled it out of the ground to use as a chewing stick.
grin2.gif

I know planting a tree for a dog is kinda lame, but if you had him as your pet you would feel the same way... Never have I met a dog with such a personality...

I will miss him dearly, but it's for the best because he is really suffering with aches and spends most of the day sleeping.

Good bye friend.
frown.gif

mackenzie.jpg

Yeah I just asked the Mod's to move to the General/Off Topic section. I had the wrong section open when I posted... Sorry
thumbsup2.gif

I'm so sorry about your dog. You're doing the right thing. Our old Dalmatian had a good life and died in peace; he was so fat his vet called him "flat top".
grin2.gif
My cat Bogey hung on for a really long time. He actually mourned our dog when he was gone. He would sit over in the corner of the living room and wait for him. He had to [censored] on a cookie sheet towards the end because he couldn't lift himself up into a litter box. Me and my dad both regret not putting him down sooner.

Last edited:
sorry to hear that. I had to do the same to my dog I had since a boy. But I was ahppy I did it and not someone else as I felt responsible for him.

I'm gonna miss him dearly. He was like a true family member and would always greet you at the door, or get jealous if everyone was outside and he wasn't.

He loved the car wash too, he would lick the windows while you were going through...

I hope that my next dog after him is half the dog Mackenzie is. I have another dog but he's not really mine, he's a friends that I'm looking after because his wife is allergic.

Thanks to the MOD's for moving this post... I should really stop opening multiple threads in multiple tabs in my browser because this like the 3rd time I goofed.
blush.gif

Man, that's rough. You knew the day would come, but never wanted to see it happen.
frown.gif

Our lab is 10 1/2, and as you say, "Never have I met a dog with such a personality..." How true! Labs are the best. Watching them go is like taking a large piece of you with them...

Thanks bud... I keep thinking I shouldn't be so stupid, it's just a pet, but he was something else and like you said a true family member.

Sorry to hear that StevieC. Our family friend had a Golden Retriever also, that died due to Cancer. He was the smartest dog you can ever think of. One day after a swim, they left him in the back seat of a car in the parking lot and have to go run an errant. He couldn't hold it and had to go real bad, so he pull out a towel from a bag and lay it down on the floor of the car, and do its thing on it to minimize damage. He also try his best to play on tiles and hardwood area of the house so the family doesn't have to vacuum as much. Very sad to see him die at the age of only 3.

My father just had to put down our family's Golden Retriever on Monday also. She was also 12 years old just like yours. Her name was Lacey and she was the sweetest dog.
frown.gif

Thanks everyone for your wishes... It helps a lot. I'm dreading the day tomorrow. I probably won't sleep at all tonight.

I know though that he will be in a better place, because the daily pain he endures now is just heart breaking and letting him live any longer in this condition would just be selfish and not with his best interests in mind.

Thanks as well to "rg200amp" for the book recommendation. I will look for it at Chapters next time I'm there... I love to read.

cheers3.gif
everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back