Have to put my friend down after 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes time. My dog Thatcher died about 9 years ago. I thought of her every day for at least a year...at least.

You will never forget but the pain will be less. Once in a while you will see a little guy doing something Mackenzie did and and all the memories come back. My MinPin has been gone for 8 years and I still think about him. He loved to dress up. Starting in the fall until late spring he would bring us a sweater to put on him. I used blanket material or fleece to make his sweaters with. He had over a dozen to choose from and they all fit perfectly (he maintained his weight at 8 lb.) He was a red one and truly ruled with an iron paw.

Sorry to hear of your loss...hardest thing about owning a pet is usually they aren't around as long as we want them to be
frown.gif

Goose
34.gif

our thoughts go out to you . It never gets any easier with each pet that enters your life . They all have different personalities . Well worth the pain you endure with their passing due to all the joy and companionship they bring . Also help keep what little sanity you have left during our crazy existence . TAKE CARE

Last edited:
The other dog we have that is really my friends dog, is wandering around the house aimlessly looking for his "Buddy". He will come up to us (Bossk is his name) and will look at you with those sad poutty eyes like he's asking where his friend is... It's crazy, and I think he is missing him too.
frown.gif

My parents had a cat that did that for some months after the death of our dog. They would often play together. They ended up having to get another cat so the original one would quit pacing around. He would walk room to room looking for his playmate. It was sad.

Are you keeping your buddy's dog (Bossk)? If the wife is allergic, I can't imagine it going home any time soon?

I don't doubt he's mourning for the other dog. Poor fellow!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Sorry to hear about your dog, Stevie.

Thank you sir.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Are you keeping your buddy's dog (Bossk)? If the wife is allergic, I can't imagine it going home any time soon?

I don't doubt he's mourning for the other dog. Poor fellow!

Yes we are keeping him until the end of his life too. My friends wife is allergic and they found out after they were married and my friend brought his dog from Canada to his new home in Kentucky.

So the dog made a trip back to Canada and I picked him up from his Grandparents house 2 hours away from me and he has been with us ever since. (3 years).

This is Bossk:

bossk.JPG

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I probablly missed about 25% of the movie

Well, considering it was T4, you didn't really miss much. :)

Seriously though, sorry for your loss. I hope you find a least painful way to cope with it.

Stevie,

On the first page of this post, you say 'you hope your next dog is half the dog Mackenzie is' and mention Bossk, but that 'he's not really yours'

Well, if you're keeping his for the rest of his life, and he's mourning the passing of Mackenzie, he sounds like a pretty good friend who is sticking by you. And from the picture, he looks like a pretty nice dog....

Just doesn't sound fair to dismiss 'Bossk' as 'not your dog'...he sounds like he needs a friend!

I treat Bossk just like the family member that Mackenzie was, I was just trying to let everyone know that he isn't really ours, he's my friends dog but lives with us because otherwise they would have to have given him to the pound because of his wife's allergies and because no one else in either of their families wanted him.

My friend pays for all the vet bills and registration fees for Bossk, but we cover the food/toys and things he chews on that he shouldn't. Even thought we have offered to pay for the whole shot my friends didn't want it any other way.

He fits right in with the family, and we treat him and care for him just the same but he is really lost without his buddy Mackenzie.

After Bossk is gone we intend on getting another dog because we are Dog people and I was just commenting that I hope that the next member of the family is half the dog Mackenzie was.

We are being as much of a friend to him as possible to Bossk to help him through it too.

Sorry if I wasn't clear up above, I was kinda of a mess when I wrote those posts...

i'm sorry dude.i still miss our jack russell that passed from congestive heart failure years ago.i miss our cat who passed a short time ago of a encephalitis type virus.they were members of our family,and they cannot be replaced.good luck man.

Steve:

Not to minimize any of the pain, but maybe this will help. I offer this, since obviously, you're someone who, as I do, cares very much for our four-legged friends.

When you're ready, look beyond the immediate pain and sense of loss. As I mentioned above, about six months ago, ChiChi, the Chihuahua the kids just had to have got so sick with heart failure, we finally realized that NOT ending it was cruelty in and of itself. This happy image, and many others like it, will be with me until the day I get to join her in the endless green meadows of heaven.
Chi-Chi-Gone-v1.jpg

As Gary Larson, the creator of Farside once drew, I hope she's enjoying herself, chasing delivery trucks made of solid SPAM!

Eventually, the pain recedes a tad, and before you know it, there's room in your home and heart for a youngster who needs a loving home. And so, meet Mimi.
New-Pup.jpg

As an aside, I used to be a big dog guy, having grown up with a Husky and an Airedale. Long story how we got to these, but no complaints now. My definition of a Chihuahua: a five-pound dog who has no idea she's not a timberwolf.
wink.gif

Again, hang in there. Always enjoy the memories of your old friend.

I have had several dogs go on me, our collie died next to me laying on the floor, another couple of Shar-pei's we had to put down. Neither way is a plus, it sucks either way. It is toughest when they are 'your' dog. I feel for you StevieC, but the pain will fade to a dull ache after a few months. The other people who said you never forget are correct, I am not a very emotional guy and its been a few years since I put 'my' dog Mr. Magoo ('cuz SharPei's have the wrinkly face, get it?
LOL.gif
) down, but every few months I get a little misty thinking about him and about what a good boy he was!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: hr1940
You will never forget but the pain will be less. Once in a while you will see a little guy doing something Mackenzie did and and all the memories come back. My MinPin has been gone for 8 years and I still think about him. He loved to dress up. Starting in the fall until late spring he would bring us a sweater to put on him. I used blanket material or fleece to make his sweaters with. He had over a dozen to choose from and they all fit perfectly (he maintained his weight at 8 lb.) He was a red one and truly ruled with an iron paw.

If that doesn't make you smile, nothing will.

I'm good now... Although still mourning the loss of Mackenzie, I'm ok and know it was for the best.

Besides I have Bossk and although he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so to speak, he is a good buddy to me and always gets me up in the morning with his god awful wet kisses.
LOL.gif

Thanks everyone for the stories and the comments... They made me laugh and realize just how fun and a member of the family our 4 legged friends can be.

cheers3.gif
to everyone who posted in this thread!

StevieC --

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. I've lost several feline buddies, each a distinct personality. The pain will lessen, but you won't forget your friend.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
StevieC --

I'm sorry I missed this thread until now. I've lost several feline buddies, each a distinct personality. The pain will lessen, but you won't forget your friend.

No worries... Thanks for posting!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back