Have to put my friend down after 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a tough thing to do... But, it's the last thing you'll ever do for him and you'll be doing him a favor. It took me a long time after my previous dog to get the one I have now... They leave a hole in your life that's hard to fill.

Yeah... I'm lucky I have my friends dog who was his buddy over the last 3 years so although he will never fill Mackenzie's shoes, it will help with missing him.

StevieC,
I am very sorry about the task at hand. I know exactly how you feel (I had to do the same thing two years ago and it still gives me great emotional pain to think about it). There really isn't much I can say except that it is the right thing to do. I blamed myself over and over that perhaps he would not forgive me for having him put down, but when I rationally thought about it....it was the only choice. You will probably go through similar thoughts or at the very least feel horrible for a while. This is a normal reaction. Try and remember that you owe it to your dog and that the love you both have for each other will always be there. As humans we have it tough when things like this become our responsibility. I have several more dogs that will require the same of me in a couple more years....and I get sick to my stomach when I think about it. I would have to say that in general I enjoy the company of a fine dog more than I do most people....but enough about me.
Hang in there, be strong for him, and know that you're doing the right thing for your old friend.
Take care.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

You were blessed to have him as your pet.... and he was blessed to be a part of your family.

The Power of a Dog

There is sorrow enough in the natural way From men and women to fill our day; and when we are certain of sorrow in store, Why do we always arrange for more? Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy Love unflinching that cannot lie- Perfect passion and worship fed By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head. Nevertheless it is hardly fair To risk your heart for a dog to tear

When the fourteen years which Nature permits Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits, And the vet's unspoken prescription runs To lethal chambers or loaded guns, Then you will find - it's your own affair- But... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will, With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!) When the spirit that answered your every mood Is gone - wherever it goes - for good, You will discover how much you care, And will give your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way, When it comes to burying Christian Clay. Our loves are not given, but only lent, At compound interest of cent per cent. Though it is not always the case, I believe, That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:

For, when debts are payable, right or wrong, A short time loan is as bad as a long- So why in - Heaven (before we are there) Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Rudyard Kipling.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I keep thinking I shouldn't be so stupid, it's just a pet

Dude, I cried like a baby when we had to put our 21 year old cat down 2 years ago because of a broken leg. Don't sweat it! In many ways, we build stronger relationships with pets then other people.

I'm sorry you had to do it, but it is the right decision. No sense in letting him suffer.

Good luck bro.
11.gif

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that man, it's very tough losing a pet. Our Collie mix "sarah" was 14 when we had her put down.

A friend of mine had a 9 year old dog. A couple of weeks ago, he woke up and the dog was just laying there, dead. Very sad indeed, our pets do become part of the family.

Thanks everyone... I'm sitting here on BITOG balling my eyes out. I just can't stop thinking of all the great memories I had with him.

The vet was very good, we took him in and they let us say our goodbyes, we gave him a treat and they administered the shot.

He quietly started to get tired and layed down. He closed his eyes and his heart quietly stopped.

I know he's in a better place now and I hope to see him again one day in the after life (if there is one).

Thanks labman for the words by Rudyard Kipling

frown.gif

Sorry to hear about this, Steve.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
In many ways, we build stronger relationships with pets then other people.

That's so true.

Stevie:

Not much I can add to the nice comments here, except that I understand. Six months ago, we had to do the same, after watching a relatively young (about ten) dog get overtaken by congestive heart failure. Sooner or later, you have to make the decision.

While we'll never "be over" our old friend, just a few days ago, we brought another youngster into our family. The cycle continues...

Hang in there.

I know how you feel. I am an animal lover and know I am going to go thru it again in the future as my pets are getting older. It is never easy - but be happy you gave them a good life while they were here.

If you need anything dude...let me know!

Sorry I came to this thread so late. I have an Old Lab who looks just like Mackenzie. Dogs are great. You give them the best life they could ever expect. They give you a lot back and then they are gone. That's just how it is.

I went to see T4 tonight to take my minds off things and I couldn't stop thinking about him. I probablly missed about 25% of the movie because I kept zoning out...

No more tears, just a bit down... I know in a few days I will be much better, but I don't think I will ever forget him.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back