Have there ever been any parked vehicles totaled or almost totaled on the street you live on, by speeding drivers?

Over the last 20 years there have been 4 times that vehicles were totaled, and one time when the damage was a couple of hundred less than total and that was a new car that was side swiped from front to back on the street side and the wheels on the curb side were bent from them being pressed against the curb, and the front right side was pushed into a telephone pole that the car was near before being hit.

I know for sure that two of the times the speeding driver was running from the police and they were on strong illegal drugs.

One time a drunk walked down the hill from the local bar and got in his new truck and dried to drive it. He swiped a car on the opposite side of the road from his truck and did major damage, swiped a fancy brick wall and damaged it and bounce off, sheered off a telephone pole knocking out power to the neighbor hood with a huge electric arc noise, and then totaled to cars by pushing one into the other. And to top it all off he was friends with the local police and they did not arrest him.

One time one was running from the police and he was going soooo fast that he left a skid mark on the side of the street where cars normally park that started two houses up the street from my house, went by my house (I was not home and had the car with me), and the house down the street from mine, and then he slammed into the front of a car that was parked facing up hill and totaled that car and his car leaving four skid marks the entire distance, and the car he hit left short skid marks from it being moved. His relative said he was using the car without permission, and he was high on heroin and had heroin in the car. The girls that were in his car were drunk and hurt.

One time two very young kids were running from the police in a stolen Camaro and came flying down an alley that T intersects with the main street. There was a small car parked across the street from the alley and when the Camaro hit the hump in the middle of the street it went airborne and came down as it plowed into the doors of the small car, pushing the doors into the center of the car. The kids got out and ran away. Later one of the officers got in the Camaro and even though the front was all smashed in it started and ran, and the officer drove it away, though slowly.

Last night about 2 AM someone speeding destroyed two cars a little up the hill and across the street from my house. The kids in the car got out and ran away but one was hurt. One came back and the police were there and figured out that he was one of the ones in the speeding car and they asked him his name and they knew he was wanted for other stuff and arrested him. Late today I talked to the owner of one of the parked cars that was totaled last night and she said the police said they would contact her today but they did not.

One thing for sure, this is not an area to park a vehicle in if the vehicle is not covered by insurance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, are is there anyone else here on BITOG that has a street they park on where parked vehicles sometimes get totaled?

Last edited:
Yep. My 1996 Lumina was hit in the rear by a guy who dropped his cigarette. Said he was only going 25MPH. Knocked my Lumina over 40'. Totaled it.

lived on a busy street that connected a nice park to a major highway in NYC. Dude just got a new VW convertible VR6. Maybe four days in... some guy in a 240sx thought it would be fun to skid in the drizzle... totalled the VW. Dude was down and out...

had that happen to me back in the mid 90's ...was parked at work in an empty lot ,no guard rails etc. around the lot...some druggie came around the corner must have been doing 90+ , lost control , hit my S10 pickup and pushed my truck into another car parked next to mine...totaled my truck and did some major damage to the car next to mine.....the druggie wanted to leave the scene but two employees held him till the cops got there...funny the cop didn't even issue a ticket ...just kind of talked to him and let him go...I did get the insurance info but he never turned it in to his insurance company...I called his insurance and they sort of cornered him and he confessed to the accident..at least I got my truck payed off...his insurance said they doubt he'll get insurance anywhere for a long time since he was on a high risk policy and this was his fourth accident within a year..how these kind of people keep driving is beyond me

My parents had a neighbor across the street that had their Chevy van rear ended in the middle of the night. I didn't hear it oddly enough but there were pieces of it everywhere.

Seen people come close to hitting cars at our old house, but never actually hit one. Why people feel the need to park on a street that is certainly not wide enough for street parking when they can easily fit 2 cars side by side in their driveway is something I never understood, and still drives me nuts to this day...

Almost been hit a few times pulling out of our driveway at the new house. Speed limit is 35, people are going 50-55 and we live at the top of a blind hill, can’t see a car coming or vehicles pulling out of their driveways till you crest the hill, and by that point you have to slam on the brakes.

A coworkers sons car got smashed pretty good. Not totaled, but several thousands in damage. The driver didn’t even stop. Damaged their garage too. Would have certainly totaled out one of my vehicles.

When my dad was a kid and living at home in town, his grandma parked on the street. A neighbor kid hit it so hard, the car was shoved up onto the sidewalk. That should have gotten totaled as the car was never right. Trunk didn’t close right, water got into the trunk etc. The “kid” that hit is is now a garbage truck driver! :D

I lost two vehicles legally parked. Coincidentally both were parked where I resided at the time, both hit by drunk drivers. Both drivers tried, unsuccessfully, to flee the seen of the accident. One of the drivers was a new driver, and her father wanted to cut a deal to avoid insurance. His offer for the vehicle was what I considered an insult, and I said either you pay what it is worth or put it under insurance, I really don't care about your daughter being a new driver and having her license taken away. I called the police, and got full pop for the van.

Once saw a neighbors parked car rear-ended while I was mowing the lawn. No drama. Someone just turned left onto the street and ran right into the back of it. No speeding, no swerving, nothing. Guy driving said he didn't see it.

I wasn't too sad about it. It was a mid-70s Duster (this was in 2003), tons of rust, couldn't drive, rainbow trail of oil from underneath, sitting parked in the same spot since I moved in 4 months earlier. Neighbors weren't too broken up about it either. From the way they tell it, the city wouldn't do anything until the registration expired. He could show the city it ran, the tires were inflated, and the registration was up to date. That's all they cared about. With the accident damage, the city made him move it off the street. It ended up in his driveway for a while, then disappeared.

I live on a very windy, hilly 2 lane state road that varies from 35-55mph. Scary collisions aren't unusual. There's a road that comes down a steep hill goes over a drastic rail-road hump and ends at a stop sign about 500 feet south of my home. I've done my best to help people who've missed the stop sign and wrapped it around a tree.

A drunk lady decided to show her soon to be divorced husband how pissed off she was.
Our house directly faces a side street. She drove directly at our house, but swerved at the last second towards my neighbor's house.
Drove between a large tree and a fire hydrant and parked her car in the neighbors garage. The garage door was down at the time.
He wasn't home at the time.
I heard the bang, but couldn't figure out what it was as I couldn't see the car - it was that far in the garage.
My home lights flickered because she knocked the house electrical service off the garage wall.

Probably caused $100,000 in damage to the house as the brick work was compromised.

Had a drunk girl slam into my brothers truck while it was parked across the street in front of my house at about 1am one morning probably 6-7 years ago. He has a 97 K1500 and she was driving some tiny little Ford Fiesta or something similar. I was actually awake watching TV as I had been working 3rd shift that week and heard some really loud noise but didn't see anything when I got up to look out the front door. I thought maybe a power transformer blew up or something. Next thing I know, there is a bunch of police in front my house and an officer knocking on my front door looking for the owner of truck. I had the key so I got him all my brother's info and insurance since he didn't answer my phone call as he was asleep that late at night.

It was probably a really good thing my brother's truck was there, as I live on the end of a T intersection. She was probably going at least 40 MPH the police said, as the entire front end of her car was destroyed. Of course she drove off, leaving a trail of broken pieces of her car for the police to follow and find her broken down. This was like her 4th DUI, not sure how she still had a license. Had my brother's truck not been there, she probably would have went through the intersection and ended up in the living room of the house that sits in front of it. Her car was totaled but the old truck just had a damaged bumper. My brother got like $2500 out of it and just kept the money. She's a rusted old truck he uses in the winter and to haul stuff, so he didn't really car about the dented bumper. Still has the truck and still has the damaged bumper on it.

We had a drunk going high speed down the street plow into the neighbors car parked on the curb head on and then hit two of our vehicles in a domino like reaction. The police estimated he was going at least 80. This was around 2am.

The neighbor went out first and found the guy trying to restart his car. His engine was completely out of the car lying in the street. He saw the neighbor and ran off. The cops did track him down.

The neighbors car was totaled. Mine spent 4 months in the shop and my Dads a much shorter time.

Back in the late 90s - I was visiting at my Aunts house on a Saturday nite. We were playing cards late at nite with acouple other friends of hers. Heard this loud bang out front -- looked out and some guy hit my 1991 Toyota Camry in the rear with an old VW Jetta. He was trying to get away but his car was too damaged for him to succeed. Also by that time, I ran out of the house and was right at his drivers side window yelling for him to stop. He ended up getting a DUI and had no car insurance on top of it. My Camry was totaled that nite and he totaled his VW also.

Back in the late 70s my father's Buick Estate wagon was hit by a fire engine and drug a half a block before being stopped by the concrete street sign posts that were at every corner.

Well - I remember a commercial vehicle around here that lost its brakes and totaled a small house. It was rebuilt and the new construct looks a bit odd among a neighborhood of much older buildings.

I was told about a murder suspect trying to escape the police and crashed a car into a dead end where one parked car was totaled. It was near a utility district property where the suspect jumped a fence.

What a topic!
1) After teaching a baking class and loading her car, the front door handle of my aunt's '69 Oldsmobile Delta 88 was pulled from her hand by someone (never heard who) who hit the rear of the car. The left side of the back bumper was driven to and past the base of the rear windshield.
Could've been so much worse.

2) In late 1996 a neighbor's 1991 Caprice Classic was hit by distracted, young drivers. They'd owned that beautiful maroon Chevy since new and loved it. They sought and found a 1996 with a towing package. The most loaded car I think I ever saw. It had every option Chevy offered except for leather. The rear reading lights were "kinda Oldsmobile" but you had to love an engine oil cooler. Darn GM....the car had Optispark. What a dopey thing that was.

3) Heck, my 1985 Chrysler LeBaron was left rear-ended by a neighbor. $1,700 check covered the $700 "bargain but good enough" (friend's shop) repair.

All on the same street.

One of the things that is amazing is that the speed limit on our street is 25 MPH. It use to be red brick but over the years that got bad and they put down asphalt. The street is wide enough for two cars going in opposite directions to safely pass if both are only going 25 or slower AND the cars parked on both sides are parked well. But the asphalt allows cars to go much faster that 25, especially if they are running from the police.

I don't remember every detail since this was in the mid-70's and I was in Elementary School. A teen from down the street parked his mid-60's Mustang in front of their house and a pickup crossed into the other lane and smacked the Mustang head on. It hit so hard that the Mustang jumped the curb and landed in the front yard. I can't remember if Paul fix it or if it was totaled. I just remember seeing it in the yard with the front end all crunched.

Back