Have heared that Redline is garbage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redline is like Tom Brady, not the best specs on paper (that being oil analysis only) but always wins. Racing people swear by it.....

Quote:

Redline is like Tom Brady, not the best specs on paper (that being oil analysis only) but always wins. Racing people swear by it.....

Understood, but I am wondering if their street stuff is nearly as good. Also, race cars get new oil @ every race. Also, they don't go through nearly as many cold-hot cycles as street oil does. I just sent out my 2nd Redline UOA, and have just shy of 20k on the motor, 3k on that sample...so I'll be able to make a good judgement weather to move on or not.

I have used the Redline Shockproof Gear oils in motorcycles with very good results. Especially in the noisy Harley Davdson transmissions the Redline Shockproof Heavy really quiets them down and can be run as far as 20-30,000 miles on one fill. The 20w60HD is very good for high temperature air cooled applications as well.

Quote:

Understood, but I am wondering if their street stuff is nearly as good.

Yes, it is just as good. It's the very same oil but for the detergents. I have asked this question before and Roy Howell of Redline said the only difference is that the racing oil has slightly better lubricity because of not having the detergents, but it is not significant and makes no difference in terms of wear and longevity. It helps in making every last bit of HP which is important to serious racers. Like you said, serious racers will change their oil after a matter of hours on the engine and the engine will be torn down from time to time, so detergents are not necessary. For high performance street engines, Redline actually recommends against using their racing oil.

In the best interest of the environment I would be willing to dispose of all the Red Line Oil on the East Coast at my cost!

Quote:

In the best interest of the environment I would be willing to dispose of all the Red Line Oil on the East Coast at my cost!

Just ship it all to me........I'll dispose of it for a nominal fee....
grin.gif

Well, I got the UOA back. Seems like the Redline is doing well, but I had a bit of detonation during this batch which I believe is causing bearing wear. I am gonna keep the octane level high during this to reduce the det, and see if that helps. So I know...was the damage done catastrophic? (I know, non-perfect UOA means the end of the world...but seriously...)

The stuff I saw that I did not like (my value/average):
Lead: 33/6
Tin: 1/0
Manganese: 51/2
Silicon: 20/11

Calcium, Phosphorus, and Zinc were also a bit higher than averages. Moly was really high, but my understanding is that that is due to the Redline. My assumption is that once there is bearing damage, it's just kind of a matter of time...

Dang. I'll have to get a retune and I'll lose power by going with a paper filter. If it means engine life though, then so be it. I am in the process of cleaning and reoiling the filter, so I am gonna do another 3k with the cleaned filter and see how it does.

Quote:

Red Line’s earliest motor oil, gear oil, and WaterWetter development came from the GTP, sports car and formula ranks. Here, founder Tim Kerrigan spent many long days at Sears Point, Road Atlanta, and Riverside Raceway helping to create smoother shifts, customized limited-slip operation, more power through friction loss and ring seal, and increased durability.

With more championships in the SCCA Runoffs® than any other oil company, Red Line now offers the widest variety of gear oil and motor oils, allowing for teams to select oils based on operating temperature, friction modifiers, and extreme pressure additives. Today, many of Europe’s top formula car operations and rally teams buy our lightweight gear oils, WaterWetter, and CV2 grease to compete on a world stage without question of failure.

The world of drag racing presents a wide variety of challenges, as Pro Stock and Competition Eliminator racers need lightweight oils and the Top Fuel and blown alcohol ranks need heavier fluids created on entirely different principles. Red Line meets the bracket racing challenge with products that allow racers to select lighter oils don’t fluctuate after multiple passes, while providing the film strength to protect and the advantage of consistency.

Red Line teams test our R&D blends with the latest bearings and gears to help us modify our products to match what’s in your race vehicle. Our oils are constantly updated from this data, keeping Red Line teams and customers on the latest edge of technology.

rom local dirt Modifieds to Nextel Cup, Red Line products allow racing teams to run lower viscosities with the piece of mind that comes from reliability and a competitive advantage. The stable film strength that comes from Group V polyol ester-based oils allow our biggest NASCAR customers to compete in today’s qualifying impound events with lighter oils that offer less compromise. Our sponsored racers select Red Line products as a synthetic package, taking out the variables that come from

Sprint car racers use lighter motor oils with unprecedented resistance to fuel dilution, allowing our teams to run multiple shows on one change of oil. Our Heavy Shockproof gear oil is the fluid of choice in quick change rear ends from the World of Outlaws to 410 and 360 non-winged applications.

crazy.gif

Quote:

When the oil is first introduced in an engine the wear metals can show slightly elevated levels, compared to other oils. This is the effect of the additive package reacting with oxides on the surface, thus it appears as wear metal but isn't actually due to wear, it isn't the result of metal to metal contact. They typically will decrease with further tests after additional mileage. Using these tests to compare wear between two oils is problematic, these numbers are parts in parts per million, actually very small differences. I wouldn't expect numbers would always be higher, they are different products and can behave a little different.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Quote:

Quote:

When the oil is first introduced in an engine the wear metals can show slightly elevated levels, compared to other oils. This is the effect of the additive package reacting with oxides on the surface, thus it appears as wear metal but isn't actually due to wear, it isn't the result of metal to metal contact. They typically will decrease with further tests after additional mileage. Using these tests to compare wear between two oils is problematic, these numbers are parts in parts per million, actually very small differences. I wouldn't expect numbers would always be higher, they are different products and can behave a little different.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

Thanks for posting that, buster!!
cool.gif
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back