have anybody had mexican chorizo?(sausage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Calif, it's everywhere. I don't care what it's made out of as long as it tastes good.
portigees (portuguese) and puertoricans make stranger sausages.

anyone eat menudo?

chorizo and egg burrito is my fav breakfast of all time. Nothing like it. Soooooooo tastey... mmmmmmm

-

Posted by Not the Autorx Frank:

quote:

chorizo and egg burrito is my fav breakfast of all time. Nothing like it. Soooooooo tastey... mmmmmmm

My wife makes the Burrito plus she adds chopped green pepper to the mix, tastes wonderful!
fruit.gif

The prepackaged stuff ain't too great. I'm glad to be able to buy it from the case at the meat department at the local Mexican grocery.

Chorizo and eggs is truly a good breakfast.

Now, as for scrapple . .
spaz.gif

Bon Appetite had a chorizo and white bean stew on the cover of their February edition. I made up a big pot of it (with a few modifications) and it was grrrrreat. Get a big crusty loaf of sourdough and some good beer and you can't go wrong. Might not be as appropriate now that the weather is warming up, but keep it on the back-burner in case there is a cold snap or something. Here's the recipe verbatim copied/pasted from the internet:

Bon Appetite February 2006
1 pound dried cannellini or Great Northern beans (generous 2 cups)
8 cups water
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
3 garlic cloves, 1 smashed, 2 chopped
1 large fresh rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 large celery stalk, coarsely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
2 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped thyme, divided
4 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth
1 pound fresh chorizo link sausages, casings removed
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Place beans in heavy large saucepan. Add enough water to cover beans by 4 inches. Let beans soak overnight at room temperature.

Drain and rinse beans; return to same saucepan. Add 8 cups water, 1 Tablespoon oil, smashed garlic clove, rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until beans are just tender, 1-1 1/2 hours. Season to taste with salt. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cool slightly, cover and chill.)

Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. Discard rosemary sprig and bay leaf.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic, and 1 teaspoon thyme. Saute 2 minutes. Add 2 cups reserved bean cooking liquid, 4 cups chicken broth, and beans. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Cool soup 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, saute chorizo in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, breaking up lumps with back of spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo to paper towels and drain.

Using slotted spoon, remove 1 1/2 cups bean mixture from soup; reserve. Working in batches, puree remaining soup in blender until smooth. Return puree to pot. Stir in reserved whole-bean mixture, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme, chorizo, and cream. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill uncovered until cold. Cover and keep chilled. Rewarm soup over medium heat, thinning with more broth if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Divide soup among bowls and serve.

***johsmith's modifications (that turned out pretty well I think)***

• I didn't add any celery at all

• I used canned beans (rinsed well of course) instead of dried ones with all the soaking and whatnot

• I used probably quadruple the amount of thyme they called for (I like thyme) and didn't really chop it all that well, just pulled it off the stems mostly...

• I added about 1/2 tsp of "Dave's Insanity" hot sauce to give it a little kick (the chorizo I bought wasn't super spicy, so this made up for it)

• Forget taking part of the beans out and pureeing them and all that; just mash a good bit of them up against the side of the pot while you are stirring it. It just serves to give the soup little body. Same difference in the end

• I added a little bit of apple cider vinegar to it right at the end. It helps to cut the richness a little bit.

• I think I added a little more cream than they called for, plus I swirled a little bit into the individual bowls right before serving. Looks cool
    smile.gif
    [I probably added a little more/less of everything else that they called for too as a matter of fact.]

Anyways, now that I typed all this, it looks like the recipe is fairly flexible. You can probably tinker with the base any way you like and it will turn out fine. (Although I'm sure if you followed the directions exactly it would turn out perfectly too.) Enjoy!

Salivary glands?
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
The chorizos in my supermarket list lymph and saliva glands as ingredients...

Id venture to guess that the "whole hog" sausage that I get at the supermarket... USA sausage... has same.. as does the scrapple that I get on my egg and cheese sandwich every now and again.

A little lymph node never hurt anyone
shocked.gif

JMH

Yup. Chorizo can range from hard-down horrible to absolutely wonderful. IMO TS has it right, a good Mexican grocery store is your best & safest bet for good chorizo.

Scrambled eggs w/sauteed onion & bell pepper, chopped lightly browned chorizo & a little shredded cheese(make mine sharp cheddar
grin.gif
), rolled up in a soft tortilla- one of the all-time-great breakfasts-to-go!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back