Hate Castrol Advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, let me say that I like Castrol's products, very much so. They make good oil and blends, and synthetc. But I can't stand their advertisment anymore. After being a Bitog member for for a while now, it comes across more as an insult to our intellect on oils since we are all educated here to know that with proper oci, and a good grade of oil, any brand we select will provide the same protection as GTX. Is anyone else hung up on their claim like I am?

You bring up a good point. I would love to be able to see if the new "anti-sludge formula" would have been able to prevent sludge in some of the infamous sludge monsters of yesteryear.

But then again, I do like GTX and have some at the house waiting for my next OCI or 2...
grin.gif

I find all advertising insulting, period, though oftentimes entertaining nonetheless. The problem is as old as Plato's, Socrates's, and Aristotle's argument with the Sophists: the latter would persuade you to one point of view no matter what the truth is, and the former are simply in search of the truth.

Does anybody really think a particular brand of clothing or underwear will make one look like those models on TV?

Intellectual sense vs. emotional sense?

Yes, it can be irritating (advertising in general). I mean, it serves to arouse question and doubt about what one thought ideal, and they tell you that it's something you want...go figure (thanks for making my mind up for me - NOT!).

1/2 truths.

I don't mind oil ads. i just don't like paying for them. remember the old M1 comercials.
GTX is one of the finest dino oils made. someone had a link to an amsoil test that GTX was very strong in.
Is it worth an extra 1$ a quart to see a cop say 14 and laugh? no.
to bad they do not have better comercials. something like we put brand x in and it stayed cleaner inside and had less wear and better gas mileage.

You have to remember that we are the exception, not the rule. The majority of Americans do not know what you are talking bout whn you use terms such as 'hydrocracked, group 4 or moly'. All they know about oil is what they hear from advertising, mechanics and self-proclaimed 'experts'.

quote:

Originally posted by Alcibiades:
Does anybody really think a particular brand of clothing or underwear will make one look like those models on TV?

Phfuhhh - worked for me! Since I started wearing Hanes instead of BVD underwear, I have to fight the women off...

I saw a bottle of STP, and on the side it read "Fights viscosity build up'. I don't know about you, but I don't want any viscosity build up in my engine, do you?

I understand being insulted by advertising but companies advertise to show their products in a 'Positive' light.

Can you imagine a company telling the truth of how their oil performed in tests?

"We came in third place in test #3,
our oil was placed 5th for test #4
but we were 2nd in test #6!
If you use our oil, you will be very happy,
you really will!"

This just will not go over well, and does not sound positive, all companies advertise their products as good,
when was the last time you saw any company advertising their product as 'Second Best'?

There is no such commercial or advertising,
it just does not happen.

I try to take the ads with a grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back