Hastings LF107 about 6000 miles - hole!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, my pics won't be as good as car51's
grin2.gif
but I'll post them anyway. This is from a Dodge 360, equivalent Fram number is PH16.

2wm2v6t.jpg

125p1z5.jpg

2rqyv54.jpg

Nitrile ADBV, reasonably pliable. Interestingly, this has a thread-end bypass. I didn't notice the hole until I was looking at the pictures. I went back out and looked again, and sure enough, there's a hole in the media. Nuts. I guess I'll have to stick with Wix and/or Fram.

Originally Posted By: Stelth
Interestingly, this has a thread-end bypass.

Is the first photo of the threaded end with the base end bypass valve spot welded into the end cap?

Originally Posted By: Trav
I wonder if Baldwin is also effected? Did you contact Hastings?

No, I haven't. I just saw the hole as I was cropping the pics just now. I'll send them the picture with the hole and see what they say.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Stelth
Interestingly, this has a thread-end bypass.

Is the first photo of the threaded end with the base end bypass valve spot welded into the end cap?

Yes, but it appears to be riveted.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ok. Where is this hole located??

If you look at the second picture, it's in the "valley", one pleat to the left of the seam.

Hmmm ok. Candidly I thought that was something caught by the filter. Seemed a bit high up on it.

But yeah that is surprising. And not good.

I wonder what the root cause of all these filter problems is, oil pressure too high when cold for old technology unsupported filter media?
Other than the FU, WIx XP and some OE cartridge filters the filters today don't look much different than they did 40 years ago when oil pressures were generally much lower.

Just thinking out loud.

It's oil flow combined with the oil viscosity that puts stress on the media, not oil pressure seen inside the can or on the dash gauge. Looks like another case of wide pleat spacing.

I wonder what the root cause of all these filter problems is, oil pressure too high when cold for old technology unsupported filter media?
Other than the FU, WIx XP and some OE cartridge filters the filters today don't look much different than they did 40 years ago when oil pressures were generally much lower.
40 years ago pressure differentials across the media were not as high, because we weren't forced to use miniature filters. I agree with Zee that total pressure isn't relevant.

Interesting CR94. Talk miniature filters...look at my 6607 for my Altima. It's weedeater approved
lol.gif

It's oil flow combined with the oil viscosity that puts stress on the media, not oil pressure seen inside the can or on the dash gauge. Looks like another case of wide pleat spacing.

Wouldn't that equate to more pressure on the media and wouldn't that be increased with cold oil?

Wouldn't that equate to more pressure on the media and wouldn't that be increased with cold oil?
Yes.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf explains the initial pressure wave from cold oil. GM (for about all their engines) is now saying the old bypass valve pressure setttings are NOT high enough now for modern engines. May help explain some of the issues here. Pressure spike at start-up.

Of course thicker oil and higher flow both increase delta-p on the media.

What I'm asaying is that the "oil pressure you see on the dash" has nothing to do with the delta-p across the media. If there was 150 PSI of oil pressure inside the can with no flow, then the delta-p across the media would be zero.

If an engine was very tight and restrictive to oil flow the oil pressure could be very high, but have a pretty low oil flow volume. That would also mean the flow through the full flow filter was relatively low and give a low delta-p.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf explains the initial pressure wave from cold oil. GM (for about all their engines) is now saying the old bypass valve pressure setttings are NOT high enough now for modern engines. May help explain some of the issues here. Pressure spike at start-up.

That's really a cold oil flow spike. It's the flow and viscosity that causes the delta-p, not the amount of oil pressure.

Yes, the amount of pressure is an indication of some flow, but not always as my example of high pressure with low flow. You can also have high flow with low pressure, it all depends on the flow resistance of the system and the oil pump performance parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back