has your data use risen with a 5g phone?

Some 5gUC for t-mobile are real 5g but in very specific locations only.
So your saying 4g LTE can obtain download speeds of 700+ Mbps?

I haven’t looked into it but I cant agree as I can get 700 Mbps on my T mobile 5g iPhone 13. When I get those speeds the phone displays 5G UC
5g UC is likely true 5g but not always. 700+mbps is not the fake 5g that is advertised qidely.

Yes it says 5G UC on my phone and I get 600 to 700 Mbps downloads. Also on our T-Mobile home Internet. So when you posted “There is really no 5g in the US” there actually is.

Yes it says 5G UC on my phone and I get 600 to 700 Mbps downloads. Also on our T-Mobile home Internet. So when you posted “There is really no 5g in the US” there actually is.
Yes, t-mobile seems to have some true 5g. I had never taken them seriously because of poor coverage and low quality of connections but t-mobile is quite advanced now. An amazing transformation.

My Google Fi phone came with a VPN built in and it wasn't bad at using data. I installed Trend Micro anti virus and it also comes with a built in VPN. The Trend Micro overruled the Googe VPN to be my primary VPN. I noticed that all of a sudden my data usage jumped by 1.5 gigs a month plus it was being a pain with some apps I used. Turned off the Trend Micro VPN manually and went back to the Google VPN and everything was back to somewhat normal. Just a heads up if you plan on or have Trend Micro anti virus on your phone.

Yes, t-mobile seems to have some true 5g. I had never taken them seriously because of poor coverage and low quality of connections but t-mobile is quite advanced now. An amazing transformation.
Yes it is, now the second largest cell phone carrier in the USA and FAR ahead of everyone in deploying 5g.
This last few months is the first time in my life of owning cell phones which goes back 20 YEARS that I have T Mobile service.
It used to be the company to avoid. I am quite pleased with the service here in SC and lately we have been taking many trips to Florida with flawless service and constant streaming on those road trips. With no issues.

Not really, most of my data use from my phone is still on wifi anyway, the only time I uses 5G / LTE is when I am driving or on the road.

In the US I think 5G would be a game changer for breaking the cable modem internet monopoly and eventually make laptop internet connection (either via cell phone tethering or its own dedicated connection) on the road practical.

Last edited:
5g advertised by the carriers is a marketing gimmick. There is really no 5g in the US, what we have is 4gLTE+ where the phone is receiving data on more than one 4gLTE frequencies. That's the reason why ATT dropped the 3g voice - they needed these frequencies for the fake 5g. T-mobile has no issues with frequencies.

Data usage will likely go up because with the bandwidth bottleneck eased the streamed video resolution will likely go up on the phones. But the speed improvement is not substantial.
What you said is LTE with CA or LTE+. ATT always do nonsense like that back in the "4G" days, calling 3G at higher speed 4G so everyone in the industry has to call the real 4G "LTE".

The real "benefit" of the 5G speed comes from the mid-band / mmWave, not the technology improvement (which improves efficiency but LTE is already reaching pretty close to the Shannon limit).

No because I'm not always hooked into a 5G tower (Pixel 6). I've occasionally seen 5G UC in Las Vegas. In any case you shouldn't use more data unless you increase your data usage such as streaming HD content which you previously didn't do before.

Back