Has the changeover to winter gas blends begun already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mpg has just went into the dumper...since April I have been able to get almost 130 miles out of the 1st 1/4 tank...now I'm lucky to eek out maybe 100 miles....No change in driving habits..nothing..If I remember correctly the same thing happened last year but I attributed it to Katrina...anyone else notice this?? What is even weirder is at this time last year I put Pennz Plat in the sump and somehow managed to do the same thing this year..not planned..just decided to use it..coincidence? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm wonder if my 'Trix hates the Plat?

Goose
patriot.gif

I don't think so.

Still getting the same mileage here on both the truck and car.

I think the winter gas comes around end of OCT in this area.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I thought the Ethanol recently being bumped to 10% was for two reasons. First, to oxygenate the fuel in lieu of MTBE. Secondly, to stretch the gas supplies and (thirdly, now that I think of it) also to give the ethanol farmers some market to sell to.

That being the case, what winterization? Isn't ALL the fuel now oxygenated (via the 10% ethanol) winter and summer? I can't believe they're going to start selling straight gasoline now that we're all nice and used to the ****** output and mileage of 10%!

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
I think I actually got ahold of some 100% gasoline Saturday, instead of 90/10.

My fuel mileage over the last three days has gone from a 9 month average of 28 mpg to 36.

I've also squelched the hard starts and running it to 4,000 rpms several times a day.

The hard starts and high RPMS was the reason why your mpg went up.

Thats why I always get above EPA highway on my cars/trucks by many MPG!
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
I thought the Ethanol recently being bumped to 10% was for two reasons. First, to oxygenate the fuel in lieu of MTBE. Secondly, to stretch the gas supplies and (thirdly, now that I think of it) also to give the ethanol farmers some market to sell to.

That being the case, what winterization? Isn't ALL the fuel now oxygenated (via the 10% ethanol) winter and summer? I can't believe they're going to start selling straight gasoline now that we're all nice and used to the ****** output and mileage of 10%!

It's not the EtOH in there that is making the gas "winter" gas, it's a different formulation to help it to burn better at lower temps, ie winter temps. Summer gasoline can burn just fine at ambient air temperatures, but when winter temps drop down to the 20s, teens, and 0 and below the air temp makes it difficult for the gas to burn more completely. It's not the ethanol, it's just a different formulation.

And... it's the corn farmers that are now having a different source of selling grain to other than millers like Kellogs, or feedlots for fattening cattle.
tongue.gif

In the lower 48 the switch happens the first two weeks in October. I don't know about Alaska. I also don't know exactly when the gas gets in the pumps, a few days after the refineries switch I suppose.

I think I actually got ahold of some 100% gasoline Saturday, instead of 90/10.

My fuel mileage over the last three days has gone from a 9 month average of 28 mpg to 36.

I've also squelched the hard starts and running it to 4,000 rpms several times a day.

Maybe because I have just been doing around town driving that this tank is dwindling rapidly..I'm at almost half a tank at 175 miles!! 2 fillups ago I could get almost 260 miles to a half tank
shocked.gif

I usually drive all highway 99% of the time....could my awful mpg so far be related to in town driving? I know it would cut into the mpg a bit but this much??

Goose
patriot.gif

Fuel guages are never linear and can change. Use gallons on pump to first stop and trip meter.

You really have no idea what your MPG is.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue_Goose:
Maybe because I have just been doing around town driving that this tank is dwindling rapidly..I'm at almost half a tank at 175 miles!! 2 fillups ago I could get almost 260 miles to a half tank
shocked.gif

I usually drive all highway 99% of the time....could my awful mpg so far be related to in town driving? I know it would cut into the mpg a bit but this much??

Goose
patriot.gif

Your original post said you didnt change driving habits. But the last post now says more "in town driving", well thats your answer. Do you ever check the actual mileage, or just go by where the needle is and to where you think it should be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back