Has Pennzoil Platinum always met this spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up some Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0w20 today in the new jug as well as a Fram Ultra oil filter. I was reading the specs on the back of the Pennzoil jug and noticed that it meets Honda / Acura HTO-06. I don't recall seeing this on previous Pennzoil Platinum jugs, is this new?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That's impressive for a 0w20.

Why? Hasn't Honda been speccing a 0W-20 for a few years now?

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Originally Posted By: PimTac
That's impressive for a 0w20.

Why? Hasn't Honda been speccing a 0W-20 for a few years now?

Yes, but not for turbo applications until recently. This confirms that Pennzoil Platinum may be the best oil (IMO) for the 8th gen K24's. Some of the earlier models would gum up in the oil control ring area due to "heavy throttle on cold engine and poor gasoline, leading to deposits" per Honda. Since this oil carries the HTO-06 spec which from my understanding is very stringent, it should help keep those rings and surrounding areas nice and clean.

Not sure if it means anything since it's Ultra Platinum instead of Platinum, but I have an old style bottle of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 and there's no HTO-06 on the back.

Would the new style Ultra Platinum 0W-20 have HTO-06 on the back right now? Then maybe you're right and they did add it for the new style bottles.

I forgot I had an old style PPPP jug laying around from a previous oil change, low and behold there is no mention of the HTO-06 spec on the back. So this is new!

The website specs doesn't show it either, although it does have HTO-06 for the 5W-30 version as noted above.

The lower right of the current spec sheet appears to have a date code for 10/27/2014. Maybe they'll update it and we'll see the new dated spec sheet showing HTO-06 soon.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
... This confirms that Pennzoil Platinum may be the best oil (IMO) for the 8th gen K24's. Some of the earlier models would gum up in the oil control ring area due to "heavy throttle on cold engine and poor gasoline, leading to deposits" per Honda. Since this oil carries the HTO-06 spec which from my understanding is very stringent, it should help keep those rings and surrounding areas nice and clean.
Interesting! Other brands and models seem to have similar troubles with oil ring area deposits. I wonder whether the contributing conditions are generally the same as you say Honda claims.

The pre-yellow-jug 5W-20 I bought in late December doesn't claim to meet HTO-06. I hope it does anyway. It went into my Prius today.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
The website specs doesn't show it either, although it does have HTO-06 for the 5W-30 version as noted above.

The lower right of the current spec sheet appears to have a date code for 10/27/2014. Maybe they'll update it and we'll see the new dated spec sheet showing HTO-06 soon.

I looked at a jug of PUP 5w30, old style silver-black packaging, that I picked up about 4 months ago: it has the HTO-06 rating.

According to the neworld, updated dexos 1 list, this OS the only PP that meets the new dexos1. Perhaps this is not a coincidence?

Originally Posted By: skaughtz
Honestly, I'm more interested in why if you swallow it they say to NOT induce vomiting.

Because the toxicity of the substance is less of a concern than the damage from reflux and possible aspiration.

I'm no toxicologist but I'd guess motor oil passes through without a lot of toxicity concerns. Not that it wouldn't cause "issues" mind you.

The Platinum and Ultra, also Quakerstate UD have had the HTO-06 for years. I know it was on the Pennzoil bottles before the switch to GTL and the newer labeling. But, it was on the 5W-30 only. I thought that was because that is what Honda required and tested for the HTO-06, the 5W-30 viscosity grade. This is the first time I have seen it listed in 0W-20.

I wonder, did they actually change the formulation to achieve this? Or did they meet this all along and just now submitted for, paid for or passed testing? Does this mean all existing bottles of 0W-20 retroactively meet this spec? Hmm...

I just asked sopus today and the PUP 0w20 from at least November 2016 was HTO-6 but they were in the process of paying the dues for the spec label. Happy Happy Happy I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back