Has anyone tried this coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I did I replaced it because I did not get sufficient heat an idle. Stock Ford Taurus.

Tech said that some cars have too restrictive of a heater core. I needed the heat in the Northwest, but I'm now in San Diego where I would have just left it in.

I like the concept............

Evans coolants are unique from all other propylene glycol-based antifreezes in that they are to be run without any water dilution - PURE propylene glycol along with whatever waterpump seal lube chemistry Evans has concocted. (which is why I labled Evans a true "coolant" instead of merely "antifreeze") Propylene glycol has significantly less heat exchange capacity when compared to water, and still somewhat less when compared to ethylene glycol. But, it also won't boil. (OK, it really will boil, but only at some ungodly high temperature - well outside the range an engine will be subject to if the cooling system is well maintained.) Boiling coolant opens up gas pockets that could subject bare metal to corrosion and leaving hot spots at critical points (often in the area around the exhaust valve seats - the last place you want a hot spot) in the cooling system. Once a person gets past the seemingly contradictory thermo-dynamics that an engine can operate safely at a somewhat higher temperature than "normal" and yet still not supply sufficient heat through the heater core on a northeastern winter morning, the Evans approach makes sense. But at $25.00-$30.00 per gallon, it's a hard sell for many - me, too.

Ironically, there was a time in the distant past (the '50s) when Rolls Royce and Bentley cars were filled at the factory in Crewe, England with 100% Prestone. In most of the world, new owners were told by the automotive press to dilute that to 50% immediately. Funny, that those crazy Limeys might've really been onto something . . .

PG coolants do have a slightly lower specific heat than EG coolants, however they exhibit improved "nucleate" boiling behavior. When PG coolants boil on hot surfaces, the size of the bubbles generated are significantly smaller than for EG. As a result, PG coolant have superior heat transfer properties and they reduce hot spots.

Since the bubbles generated by PG coolants are much smaller, they offer better protection from cavitation damage in "wet sleeve" diesel engines that use cylinder liners - and the periodic addition of SCA's is typically not needed....

I can see your point for PG chemistry mixed with water. However, Evans coolant is used straight from the jug. Evans website was adamant that boiling does not occur with their product - at least when I looked into the stuff over a year ago. I'll admit I don't know whether the company knows what it's talking about or not - I'm just passing along what the company line was when I last checked.

Ray,

Brake fluid is also glycol based and it certainly boils, although the temp are more like 450F-500F.

This is highly localized boiling on the outer wall to a very hot surface. We're talking tiny bubbles here.

Boiling point in the Evans Lit. is listed as +375F, so the coolant doesn't boil in the gross sense, but it can form bubbles in the hot surface zone...

If you reread the entire text, they do say that any localized boiling will recombinate back into solution instead of maintaining an air bubble ..that would normally push out coolant in a normal system.

Evans distribution and tech support are right down the street. The corporate offices are in CN ..but the two key personnel that were with them when they moved decided not to move to CN. Evans liked them so much, that they placed the distribution center local to them. All the fancy parts and coolant come from a very small warehouse near the former Smith Pie (demolished) bakery.

The reason that NPG coolant can tollerate NO water is because it has no corrosion inhibitors. The NPG+ is a mixture of glycols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back