Has anyone tried something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not much of a farmer if he wastes his time straining a few gallons of oil through toilet paper to try to save a couple dollars. All of the farmers I know are far too busy to waste that much time-bulk lubricants aren't that expensive.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

That was a unique event if it happened. People have been using toilet paper to filter oil, gas, white gas, kerosene and diesel fuel for many, many years and I've never heard of that happening. It's an urban myth at best.

And yet toilet tissue manages to starts to break down in my toilet before I flush, and quickly breaks down in my septic tank after a couple days. Yet somehow it manages to hold together and act as a filter with oil, gas, white gas, kerosene and diesel fuel?

That's funny.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
He's not much of a farmer if he wastes his time straining a few gallons of oil through toilet paper to try to save a couple dollars. All of the farmers I know are far too busy to waste that much time-bulk lubricants aren't that expensive.

That was a unique event if it happened. People have been using toilet paper to filter oil, gas, white gas, kerosene and diesel fuel for many, many years and I've never heard of that happening. It's an urban myth at best.

And yet toilet tissue manages to starts to break down in my toilet before I flush, and quickly breaks down in my septic tank after a couple days. Yet somehow it manages to hold together and act as a filter with oil, gas, white gas, kerosene and diesel fuel?

That's funny.

The filtering project is being done by 10 and 12 year old boys. They do the lab samples, too. Your comments are those of someone that has no experience with the subject.

Here's a comment typed in by the 10 year old:

Hello, my name is Tom. My brother Bill and I reuse this oil because it's part of a school science project. We are making the oil last longer and John at school gets the lab results from his father. My older brother worked out the oil change system using the amount of gasoline used by each truck which is tracked at the big fuel tank, instead of mileage or time and checked the results with lab tests. We buy the toilet paper in bulk at Costco and we have never had a roll come apart while filtering. Not even for gasoline. Never. My brother and John and I tested with gasoline under pressure and with old contaminated oil headed up to 250F and pumped through the toilet paper. No problem. I don't like people telling us we are stupid and that we don't know what we're doing. So far I know much more about this oil stuff than most adults but I don't tell them that they are stupid.
Tom (this is Bill and I agree with Tom)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Rand
uh that article is 30+ years old?

not very relevant today.

Why is an article irrelevant because of it's age ?

Tesla invented AC quite some time ago, and you are still using it on your modern computers.

My PC runs on DC.

That's funny.

The filtering project is being done by 10 and 12 year old boys. They do the lab samples, too. Your comments are those of someone that has no experience with the subject.

Here's a comment typed in by the 10 year old:

Hello, my name is Tom. My brother Bill and I reuse this oil because it's part of a school science project. We are making the oil last longer and John at school gets the lab results from his father. My older brother worked out the oil change system using the amount of gasoline used by each truck which is tracked at the big fuel tank, instead of mileage or time and checked the results with lab tests. We buy the toilet paper in bulk at Costco and we have never had a roll come apart while filtering. Not even for gasoline. Never. My brother and John and I tested with gasoline under pressure and with old contaminated oil headed up to 250F and pumped through the toilet paper. No problem. I don't like people telling us we are stupid and that we don't know what we're doing. So far I know much more about this oil stuff than most adults but I don't tell them that they are stupid.
Tom (this is Bill and I agree with Tom)

What does Tom know about oil? Maybe he can share with us his reason for using toilet paper, the 250F temperature, and how he came up with his mileages and gallon usage? What does he think about the UOA? Do you have trends from first processing to last, before it's disposed of? What did the TBN, TAN, oxidation levels look like?

Also, how much does it cost to reuse the oil and dispose of the used toilet paper? This should include not only the cost of buying the toilet paper, but also the heat source for raising the temperature.

Finally, what were the typical first-use oil change intervals, since each new car has differing oil change schemes.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

not very relevant today.

Tesla invented AC quite some time ago, and you are still using it on your modern computers.

My PC runs on DC.

Solar Panels and batteries ?

or copper and zinc nails stuck in lemons ?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

not very relevant today.

My PC runs on DC.

Solar Panels and batteries ?

or copper and zinc nails stuck in lemons ?

Lithium ion and unicorn dreams, actually.

Did Tesla invent the rectification process? The point is, having rudimentary knowledge of a thing doesn't equate to practical zenith - look how far electricity has come, from simple understanding to powering the world, from simple batteries to super power-dense cells.

30 years matters...

I'll try to get you some more answers. This project was something that was created to give them something to do. They both suffer from inherited autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease and spend a lot of their days on a dialysis machine. I'm sure that people on this forum will take shots at their methods but so far they have been working for almost 2 years. The real problem is that Bill the 12 year old is already been declared with end-stage-kidney disease.

Bill, the older brother came up with the 300 gallon interval working with a spread sheet and UOA's at various stages. He said he depends on the first cycle, in the car to go by the OLM and then he and his little brother will take over. He said the OLM can be trusted in the UOA's that he has seen, even if you run over a thousand miles or so as long as you use any of the oils like Mobil 1.

They tell me that a TBN is too expensive and without a UOA they go with a setup that measures viscosity through a fixed orifice at 100F to determine if the oil is rejected or not. This was correlated earlier with UOA's including TBN's and TAN's but they did not want to wear out their welcome at John's house. His dad runs a lab that among other things does lubricants.

There is no cost to recycle. The truck picks up the waste oil, toilet paper and used filters for free.

The heat cycle they use is aided by solar panels that they are still messing with. They have tools and material all over the back shed. That whole heat setup is a work in process. They're working on a way to burn some of the wast oil without producing pollutants using a mirrored concentrator. They're probably going to drop the burning waste oil because the mirrored concentrator is already too hot. Both brothers tell me they try to succeed or fail quickly when it comes to a new idea so they can learn what they can and move on.

None of this is meant to be a commercial enterprise. Their main goal was to get more use out of the oil and establish some easy to follow guidelines that don't require an expert.

Tonight, Bill the older brother is in the ER, again and I'm going to say a little prayer for him and his younger brother. They may screw up a lot of stuff and break things but overall they are learning a lot. It's kids like this that make me feel better about the future.

That's funny.

Obviously, there's a difference between water and oil...pretty funny that one would get the two confused, or think of putting those products in their septic.

35.gif

Reusing old oil is pretty interesting. I wonder how much those old trucks care.. still probably better than what they received back in the day. Lol.

There was a guy here that mentioned his friend owning a Toyota that burned something like 1 quart around 500 miles.. maybe less. He would just add used oil to the engine and top off whenever he had to fill up.

On a side note, I wonder how an industrial coffee filter would work.. Like the ones they have in the break room coffee machines. Or just get a filter and stretch its media out like toilet paper.. Lol.

Or using toilet paper as an oil filter. That's funny too.

That's funny.

Obviously, there's a difference between water and oil...pretty funny that one would get the two confused, or think of putting those products in their septic.

I'm not going to be posting any more for a while. Bill's trip to the ER was not just another visit to fight his kidney failure. The cysts had taken over both kidneys and spread to his liver. He passed at about 4AM this morning. May God rest his soul. The fight was a tough one and now it's over for Bill. He can finally have a break from the pain and get some rest.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Or using toilet paper as an oil filter. That's funny too.

That's funny.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1329337

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back