Has anyone tried a California Car Water Blade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen posts from people that like them on the Corvette forum. And people that don't. The main drawback is that it's possible to drag a piece of grit across your paint with the blade.

I have one but the only problem is, it's not as easy to use as you'd think. It tends to "stick" to the surfaces and not glide right, causing it to skip and leave spots behind.

If your vehicle's panels are somewhat flat then it works great. If they are very curved, have ridges, or trim then it isn't very helpful. It works good on my F-150, not good on my Protege5. It does not replace a towel but it will make less towel work.
My vehicles are white and silver so I have never noticed any scratching.
not worth $18 in my opinion.

I was using mine for years in bliss........then one day a piece of grit got caught and left about an 8 inch scratch through the red paint.

I have been using only microfiber cloths now.....

I have one and I love it. It works great on my Cavaliers and Cobalt. (helps that they are flat). I've been using it for years with no issues. They really come in handy when you are washing your car in the winter.

I'm planning on getting another one.

Just save money and get it at AAP....

I like mine, been using it for years.

I look at it as a way to speed up chamois-ing, not replacing the chamois step.

Avoid grit scratches by flooding the entire car when finished washing, just before using the blade.

I've used it for years without a problem. I make sure my cars and truck are very clean before doing so. Here in Vegas, you have to dry cars quickly, and the blade combined with 100% cotton deep naped towels works well.
My vehicles get claybared every other year, and get good quality polish. The blade doesn't skip on the smooth surface, and I've yet to get a scratch. I use a towel only on the lower surface of the car because there is little water left on the sides by the time I get to them.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I have one but the only problem is, it's not as easy to use as you'd think. It tends to "stick" to the surfaces and not glide right, causing it to skip and leave spots behind.

+1. I returned it and got the California duster instead. Good stuff
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Like the others, I've had one for years and used it many times. Never had a problem but it is a concern.

They'll remove 80% or so of the standing water, so you can blade off most of it then follow immediately with a towel. It works best on larger vehicles with flat panels, as others have said.

I haven't used it in a long time but occasionally when I wash a large trailer or RV it gets used. I don't think it saved me much time but it can be a handy tool on large vehicles.

I had one and later upgraded to the "Jelly Blade", which I like much better. It's more flexible and therefore effective. I usually only use it on the horizontal surfaces and then finish with a synthetic chamois or MF drying towel.

I always do a final rinse to get rid of any grit/debris and then back into the garage to dry.

I've had mine for 10 years and used it religiously. If the car is clean and well rinsed after washing there is no grit to drag...never had that problem or any other scratches. You just have to grip it firmly. As stated earlier it gets about 60-80% of the car dry, depending on the panel design. On my Accord Coupe it's good for the roof, the hood, the doors, fenders, and quarters...on all cars awesome for windows! You'll never had a better squeegee. Areas like the trunk lid with spoiler and bumpers, around wheel wells and molding, etc. still need towel work.

been using one for years, great and no scrathces so far. Even with micro fiber or whatever one uses if something gets on the fiber or on the blade a scratch is possible. the blade is just too quick and easy to go back to other options.

The first California Water Blade I received was a gift. It had a straight hard purpleish colored handle that could scratch any part of the vehicle if hit hard enough.

Then, I saw the newest version that has a tapered silicone handle that fit into tighter areas and would not scratch any part of the vehicle if you were to accidently hit it. I bought it right away and I love it!

I use the CWB to remove the heavey water prior to towel drying(micro-fiber/chamois/bath towel), not to completely dry the vehicle. The CWB gets me to, and makes the towel drying much easier though it doesn't replace towel drying anymore than the California Duster replaces soap and water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back