Has anyone measured their own exhaust emissions?

I think the BAR97 machines have a lockout mode on them that if they don’t communicate with the state’s servers or if the amount of smog certificates are expended, the machine locks out. CA recently mandated all smog machines use broadband internet to communicate with the state instead of dial-up(yes, the smog machines used a USB 56K modem to dial into the state).

The older BAR84 machines(I think Allen or Bear/SPX made them, they ran DOS on a 286) don’t lock out and do the TSI mode inspection.

CA went BAR-OIS with any PC running Windows 10 with a ESP or Bosch/Delphi OBD interface. They needed to “smog” hybrids but you can’t run them on a dyno(the Honda ones, yes but not a Toyota or Ford hybrid). Toyota warns the inspection mode on a Prius and its ilk is intended for smog inspection but never to drive the car in that mode.
I was all set to get a smog license years ago. Then the state got super strict with the penalties for making a mistake, plus I have idiot friends that would pressure me to hot smog, that I bailed.

I was all set to get a smog license years ago. Then the state got super strict with the penalties for making a mistake, plus I have idiot friends that would pressure me to hot smog, that I bailed.
I get a kick out of reading the BAR newsletter from reading the licensing action section - it’s hot smogging or pipe swapping that gets a lot of stations in trouble.

There’s a smog check place in Oakland who would fail a Prius with a cat shield - he said there was no way he can check for an OEM cat or a non-CARB approved aftermarket one off Amazon or eBay. I don’t blame him at all.

Back