Has 5W/30 in a 5W/20 engine ruined my motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jo,

I have had a piston contact the spark plug and close it but it was with a after market pop up piston combined with a extended tip spark plug. In other words I tried to use a incorrect plug for this application. You haven't had the plugs changed have you?

Is there anything else you have had done to the engine that might give us a clue?

I also don't think it was oil. A build up of carbon I don't think could do it either. You might ask the mechanic again what he thinks; maybe we are losing something in the translation.

If you don't have confidence in this mechanic you might want a second opinion.

Let us know what happens.

I agree with Sin City. You need a 2nd opinion on this. Take or tow it to a Ford dealer and have them look at it. But don't volunteer anything about the oil. See what they can objectively diagnose without leading them on with your own suggestions. Don't deceive them. Just see if they can accurately determine the problem on their own.

quote:

Originally posted by jo8397:
ok...you'll have to forgive me, I am not a very car savy person. from what he is telling me, the spark plugs are being hammered shut, and his thought is that this is being caused by the piston. What is there under the hood that would cause the spark plug to be hammered closed?

If the plugs are being 'hammered shut', it may have slipped a tooth on the timing. it is NOT the oil, PERIOD.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
I agree with Sin City. You need a 2nd opinion on this. Take or tow it to a Ford dealer and have them look at it. But don't volunteer anything about the oil. See what they can objectively diagnose without leading them on with your own suggestions. Don't deceive them. Just see if they can accurately determine the problem on their own.

I agree- Take the car to a Ford Dealer

It's highly unusual to have a major mechanical problem with the 3.0L vulcan. These are pretty much bullet proof engines. The 2.OL zetec has had it's issues, but a piston to valve/cyl head issue would be unlikely since it's a non-interference engine. If your timing belt was very worn & jumped a few teeth, you would get a performance problem. Either way, there is no way changing from 5w-20 to 5w-30 did this!
G/luck
Joel

Dude I work at a shop and get Ford with the 5w20 engines in all the time. We put 5w30 in them and never had any problems with them coming back. **** , before there was 5w30 coming out of the pump it used to be 10w30. We don't have any engine problems from our oil.

Heck I've seen little Civic engines running 20W-50 over in southeast Asia when in North America the same engines run 5W-30 and now 5W-20!

They run like crap on 20W-50 but they don't die from it...

"The piston is firing up too high and hamering my plugs. He told me that the oil grade was most likely the issue." Think about that statement. He's saying the oil somehow changed the pysical shape or length of the piston, rods or head. Geeeesh.
pat.gif

Could it be possible a previous owner/mechanic/shop stripped out the plug threads in the head for that plug
shocked.gif
, installed a heli-coil or re-tapped it too deep, causing one plug to thread in too far? just a guess..
Joel

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
Could it be possible a previous owner/mechanic/shop stripped out the plug threads in the head for that plug
shocked.gif
, installed a heli-coil or re-tapped it too deep, causing one plug to thread in too far? just a guess..
Joel

Makes more sense than a growing piston!
pat.gif

This clown is just looking for a free engine from Jippyboob and has found a shady mechanic(pro-witness) that is willing to take the side against ziffyloob.

The car was obviously run low on oil.

jo8397, get a new mechanic. And, pay for your own engine. Quit trying to sue for your own incompetence(lack of car savy).

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
This clown is just looking for a free engine from Jippyboob and has found a shady mechanic(pro-witness) that is willing to take the side against ziffyloob.

The car was obviously run low on oil.

jo8397, get a new mechanic. And, pay for your own engine. Quit trying to sue for your own incompetence(lack of car savy).

Give the guy a break undummy, he came on the forum to get some advice, not to be insulted.
nono.gif
-Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back