Harvest King 0w-20 from Rural King for 2015 Subaru

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Rural King is running a special on their Harvest King Full Synthetic 0w-20 for 9.99 for 5 quartz. Should I stay away from this oil? I used to use their Rural King brand on my Subaru Crosstrek, but they no longer carry it.

Thanks in advance.

Rural King's oil used to be made by Citgo. Probably still is. I have a couple UOAs with outstanding results using Citgo oil. I see no reason to stay away at that price.

Harvest King oil is carried by Atwood's stores in Texas.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4184767/Re:_Harvest_King_full_syntheti
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
"The Harvest King full synthetic is a new development, and distributed by MidStates Distributing. It appears to be a CITGO brand oil."
- Chris

It's hard to believe, really - - 5qt jugs in the $10-$13 range.

Originally Posted By: Jeep_Riot

Rural King is running a special on their Harvest King Full Synthetic 0w-20 for 9.99 for 5 quartz. Should I stay away from this oil? I used to use their Rural King brand on my Subaru Crosstrek, but they no longer carry it. Thanks in advance.

I suppose you could run a quart or two of 20w-50 if it makes you feel better?

What OCI are you planning and what does Subaru recommend?
If this oil is like the old RK branded oil, which it probably is, it is probably good for 5K OCIs and may not have enough TBN retention for much more than that.
Still, at ten bucks an OCI, even 5K drains end up being a pretty cheap proposition.
Other than oil life potential, I see no reason not to use this oil.

Until someone gets a UOA back, everything is just speculation. I'm using it in the belief that if it meets DEXOS1, how bad could it be?

What I'm waiting for is someone who'll try the Harvest King syn-blend. $1.79 per quart or $7.99 in the 5 quart jug.

The "RK Synthetic," sold until recently at Rural King stores, was blended by Warren Oil Company of Dunn, NC, and it was rebranded Lubrigold. It was not a Citgo product. Reports on this board for the past two months regarding "Harvest King synthetic" indicate this IS a Citgo product.

I've used Lubrogold 5w-20 in my Honda and RK Synthetic 0w-20 in my Subaru, and they're still running.

I tried a google search for "mid states distributing synthetic oil" and didn't come up with a source confirming Citgo, or not.

Nobody thinks that a ten buck a jug Grp III is an M1 AFE equivalent and that isn't mere speculation.
Is this actually a dexos licensed oil or does it merely claim to meet the spec?
If it does actually carry the dexos 1 logo, then that is a verified indication of quality beyond the API SN spec.
As I noted above, shorter drains would be no hardship with an API SN Grp III that can be had for a mere ten bucks a jug.
At that price, this oil is a solid value even if it can't do the 8-9K the MM of our '12 Accord would typically allow.

image hosting free

It definitely displays the Dexos logo, and 0W-20, 5W-20 and 5W-30 show up on the list of approved brands on the Center for Quality Assurance website.

Circumstantial evidence that the oil is bottled at the same place as Citgo is that the two brands share a distinctive shaped 5 quart bottle.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

If it does actually carry the Dexos 1 logo, then that is a verified indication of quality beyond the API SN spec.

Yes, it does.... so, why do you say this?:
..this oil is a solid value even if it can't do the 8-9K the MM of our '12 Accord would typically allow.

I plan to run it for 10K and pull a UOA. I run a dual filter set-up (Bosch Distance 3500's)

The area I live in right now has a Rural King opening next month. I'll have to check out the 0W-20 oil for an OCI in my Sentra when they open if I don't move before then.

It'll be interesting to see your UOA of this oil.
Please be sure to post it.
Given the price of this oil, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
If this oil looks serviceable out to 10K, then it goes from being a solid value to an incredible one.

mcgophers,

I noticed you have a 2015 Sentra in your sig. Are you happy with it? Reason for asking, my son and DIL had someone just total their vehicle and are in the market for a small econo car replacement. We are on our second Nissan, but never had a Sentra and was just wondering your opinion. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mcgophers
The area I live in right now has a Rural King opening next month. I'll have to check out the 0W-20 oil for an OCI in my Sentra when they open if I don't move before then.

You may want to wait until they run their annual storewide 12% mail in rebate sale, usually in February or March.

Given the price of this oil, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
If this oil looks serviceable out to 10K, then it goes from being a solid value to an incredible one.

I'm very curious to know why you think it should be drained before 10,000 miles, especially if used with a "good" oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back