Harry Epstein USA-made tape measure review PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this review on another forum. I thought BITOG members might like it as well. For those who aren't familiar, Harry Epstein is a Kansas City tool dealer that sells tools online and from a retail store. Google "Harry Epstein" to find it.

I stopped by Harry Epstein today while in Kansas City and picked up one of their new USA-made tape measures. I’m just a garage DIY’er, but I use tape measures quite a few times per week. I picked up the 12' version for $8.15 + tax.

Packaging and close-up pics
The packaging proudly exclaims that this tape measure is made in the USA. This tape is made by the company US Tape.

IMG_6039-1000.jpg

IMG_6041-1000.jpg

IMG_6046-1000.jpg

IMG_6047-1000.jpg

Comparison to Craftsman tape measure
I decided to compare the HE tape to another mid-priced tape measure.

My most-used tape measure is my 12’ Craftsman. I picked this up about a year ago when Sears was closing them out. Craftsman no longer offers tape measures. The Craftsman tape is made in the Dominican Republic.

Both tape measures are a similar size. The HE tape has a plastic body with a chrome-type plating. The Craftsman has a plastic body with rubber bumpers to help absorb shock if the tape is dropped (this is a nice feature, IMO.)

The belt clip on the Craftsman is formed from slightly thicker metal, but the HE tape seems to have a tighter grip when clipped onto your belt or pants. The HE tape has a hole in the clip and a corresponding bump that fits into the hole. The HE tape seems to take more force to pull off than the Craftsman tape.

The HE tape weighs 6.25 oz. The Craftsman tape is 4.35 oz.

The locking mechanisms on both tapes are very similar. They both hold the blade with a similar amount of force.
IMG_6048-1000.jpg

IMG_6049-1000.jpg

Blade comparison
Both blades have a tip that is held in place by three rivets.

The tape on the Craftsman is ½” wide. The HE tape is ¾” wide. There are pros and cons to both tapes. The thinner Craftsman allows for a smaller and lighter tape measure. However, the larger tape on the HE means it has big numbers that are easier to read.
IMG_6051-1000.jpg

IMG_6053-1000.jpg

Overall
In my opinion, the HE tape seems like a value at $8.15. You can find imported tapes cheaper, but the HE tape still seems like a quality tape at a good price.

I would also add that I’ve always had good experiences buying from Harry Epstein. I’ve ordered from them online and bought from them in person. My transactions have always gone well.

I’m happy to pay a few dollars more for this tape to support a business that focuses on USA-made tools and a company that still makes tape measures in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back