Harley Syn-3 UOA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done an oil analysis on Harley's Syn-3 20W-50? I did a search and didn't find anything. Maybe it's there but I don't know how to find it. I would sure like to see some real world numbers on this stuff.

Amsoil found that their oil was better?

Well knock me over with a feather..
whistle.gif

But it's true that the Syn 3 is an over-priced joke, aimed at people who don't know much about oil.

Harley oils are made by Citgo (removed political comments - mod).

(removed political comments - mod)

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Harley oils are made by Sunoco. Here is how Amsoil does their tests, doesn't get much more impartial than this: The testing used to evaluate the lubricants was done in accordance with American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
procedures. Testing was finalized in May 2009. Test methodology has been indicated for all data points, allowing for duplication
and verification by any analytical laboratory capable of conducting the ASTM tests. A notarized affidavit certifying
compliance with ASTM methodology and the accuracy of the test results is included in the appendix of this document. Five
different laboratories were used in the generation of data listed within this document. In all cases blind samples were submitted to reduce the potential of bias. (in simple terms, they don't do their own testing)

and they only pick the tests they know ahead they can win.

give me 3qts and i'll give you back water. no bias.

well maybe just a bit
but only to oils that can actually stay in grade.

If you actually read the motorcycle testing they did not win in every test, but did better overall. They tested against all the major brands, Mobil, Motul, RP, Pennzoil, Suzuki, Polaris, Torco, Lucas, Castrol, Valvoline, Spectro, HD, BMW, Maxima, Honda, ect. and you say they cherry picked so they could win? Have you even read the testing?

Never seen a Syn 3 UOA but have seen a VOA. Additive package has about 1100 ppm ZDDP, 1400 ppm calcium, 270 ppm Boron, 800 ppm Magnesium. Same additive package for both HD 360 and Syn 3 just use a different base. Syn 3 is a perfectly fine oil that is overpriced.

Sunoco lost the HD motor oil contract probably 8 years or so ago. I guess HD rebid it when they decided to introduce Syn 3 and the contract for both 360 and Syn 3 went to Citgo who continues to make it.

Biggest problem I have with the Amsoil test is that they didn't test the most commonly used oils. At least not for the 50 grades. That will not sell more Amsoil but would have been valuable to the rest of us. I've never seen or heard of Pennzoil Motorcycle Oil. Suppose it might exist, not even sure of that. Some of the auto (PCMOs) should have been included instead of the stuff no one uses. And how could you leave out Red Line?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back