Harley/ motorcycle oil guys - quietest motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for the suggestions - but again I'm more interested in the oil's ability to dampen valve train noise.

To really dampen the valve train noises go with Red Line 20W60 or what really worked for me is Klotz 25W60. Just stay with a synthetic brand for easier flow ability on start up. Either one of these types will almost eliminate the noise. Goog Luck!

Originally Posted By: tmf2
Well Redline 20w60 dampened the noise a bit for me.

Originally Posted By: Klotz1
To really dampen the valve train noises go with Red Line 20W60 or what really worked for me is Klotz 25W60. Just stay with a synthetic brand for easier flow ability on start up. Either one of these types will almost eliminate the noise. Goog Luck!

I use Redline V-Twin oil in my Harleys and I am very satisfied. However, the 20W/50 is better to use than the 20W/60 in the Twin Cam. It does not need such thick oil like an older Shovel or Evo motor. I used the 20W/60 one time than went to 20W/50 and still quiet and smooth.

I ran this summer Amsoil 60w in my 2011 FLHTK and it's quiet. Ran from Texas to Sturgis and back and at 4000 miles since oil change still going strong. I will be changing oil for the winter and run Redline 20w-50 as I have some in the garage. I've also run Amsoil 20w-50, Schaffers Supreme 7000 in the bike.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I use Redline V-Twin oil in my Harleys and I am very satisfied. However, the 20W/50 is better to use than the 20W/60 in the Twin Cam. It does not need such thick oil like an older Shovel or Evo motor. I used the 20W/60 one time than went to 20W/50 and still quiet and smooth.

If you have been blessed with one of the many twin cams that make a lot of valve train noise it does. Valve train noise is the issue the 20w60 dampens it more then the 20w50 a straight 50w or 60w dampens even better. Without the noise problem a 20w50 would be fine but FWIW after a 2000 mile trip in 90F heat the 20w50 oil drained like water. I prefer the added protection of the synthetic 20w60 with the excessive heat these TC engines generate in comparison to the cooler running Shovels and Evos. i use 20w50w in my 78 Shovel and 20w50 in my 89 Evo. Redline on thier website recommends the 20w60 for valve train noise.

HD recommends for my 04 FLHT

20w50 above 40F
SAE50w above 60F
SAE60w above 80F

Last edited:
FYI, and I'm not sure if it's that some are missing it, or if a side topic is beginning to exist in this thread, but the XR1200 is an Evo not a Twin Cam.

My two Twin Cams are just a little noisy. I wear earplugs so it really does not bother me. However,I think I am about ready to start using the VR-1 syn in my newer bikes. Sounds like the best bang for the buck especially since I believe in short OCI's here in the Texas heat. No oil coolers on my Twin Cam motors either. Not long ago I bought an 02 Night Train Softail with only 1,000 (one thousand!) actual miles on it. I changed oil and used M1 15W50. I ride it slow and solo,usually for around 30 miles per ride. I was a little surprised to discover that it used almost 1/2 qt. in the ensuing 1,600 miles. Not excessive by any means,especially since it is breaking in,but I still feel this particular oil may not be up to the task to go over 2K oci's in this heat with no oil cooler. I run the same M1 in my Road King and Triumph (shared sump but has factory oil cooler),but recently switched to VR-1 syn in my oil-cooled oilhead Beemer. I suppose I will begin the VR-1 switch over gradually and return my M1 15w50 stash to Wally World. All Hail VR-1-The New Magic Elixir!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

If you have been blessed with one of the many twin cams that make a lot of valve train noise it does. Valve train noise is the issue the 20w60 dampens it more then the 20w50 a straight 50w or 60w dampens even better. Without the noise problem a 20w50 would be fine but FWIW after a 2000 mile trip in 90F heat the 20w50 oil drained like water. I prefer the added protection of the synthetic 20w60 with the excessive heat these TC engines generate in comparison to the cooler running Shovels and Evos. i use 20w50w in my 78 Shovel and 20w50 in my 89 Evo. Redline on thier website recommends the 20w60 for valve train noise.

HD recommends for my 04 FLHT

20w50 above 40F
SAE50w above 60F
SAE60w above 80F

I am aware of all that..and all good points. I could not tell any difference between RL 20W/60 and the 50 but my hearing is not that good so the noise may be more noticible to you than to me.

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
FYI, and I'm not sure if it's that some are missing it, or if a side topic is beginning to exist in this thread, but the XR1200 is an Evo not a Twin Cam.

True

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back