Harley demand/price curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PT1:

Let's not forget that an RD350/400 sold for $900.00 brand new! For the money, that was a very good performance value.

In order for me to insure my vintage Yamahas, I had to have them appraised. I was surprised to see that each machine was appraised at $7000.00. I must admit however, that I put a few grand in parts and engine work into each bike. Seven grand might not seem like much but when you look at the multiple of the original cost, it's substantial.

With the mods I've made, these things run strong and clean. Usually fire up on the first kick and run all day with no problems. I admit the 350 is a bit buzzy. A couple hours on it is enough for me. I can ride the 400 all day with virtually no discomfort. With the rubber engine mounts and being a bit heavier, it's quite a bit more comfortable for longer rides. Still wouldn't want to take either one on a long haul. That's what the KLR and Valkyrie are for.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Originally Posted By: kballowe
I got a weed eater that's a four-stroke. Funny thing though - ya gotta mix oil with the gas.

Shindawa.

I got a lawnmower that's a 4-stroke, and it doesn't mix gas and oil.

What's your point?

Just had never seen a four stroke that required mixing oil in the same ratio that one would typically find in a two-stroke. e.g. it's a four-stroke without a crankcase oil sump. Bought this thing a couple years ago. Got it home and read the literature. Hmmmmmmm

- 34cc displacement, 1.4 hp (1.0kW)
- C4 Technology® high torque 4-stroke engine features all position operation. No dip stick! Uses 50:1 mixed fuel
- Incredible torque. Quick throttle response

I've never heard of a 4-stroke that needed oil in the gas. Yeah, it has to be a hybrid.

Last edited:
I've seen the Harley bubble start to burst over the years. I used to live in MD before moving to Texas in 2005. While in MD, most HD dealers (such as HD of Baltimore a.k.a The Harley Store) had a waiting list to order a bike - but they sold at MSRP. Most other dealers in the area were typical crooks (Ramsey's the worst) charging WAY over MSRP and wtth cocky attitudes. Another place in Delaware - Mike's Famous HD was also way over MSRP. These guys did this because they could get away with it and the supply was less than the demand. I refuse to pay over MSRP for anything and therefore I purchased 2 HD's from The Harley Store. These guys never charges more so when the "bottom falls out" I hope people ditch the other guys and remember the Harley Store never took advantage of anyone.

Anyhow--- when I left MD in 2005 and came to Texas I was able to buy another bike at a HD dealer for BELOW MSRP!! That amazed me and I as tempted to buy bikes in TX and sell them in MD for profit! Now it seems that almost nobody nationwide is selling HD's for over MSRP and that's a good thing for consumers but bad for resale. My wife has a mint 2004 Lowrider with only 2500 miles that she wants to sell as she stopped riding. My issue is I don't know what I can really get for it. I'd hate to sell it for less than 10k but I think 8-9k is the market value. IN the past we could probably get darn close to what we paid for it new!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I've seen the Harley bubble start to burst over the years. I used to live in MD before moving to Texas in 2005. While in MD, most HD dealers (such as HD of Baltimore a.k.a The Harley Store) had a waiting list to order a bike - but they sold at MSRP. Most other dealers in the area were typical crooks (Ramsey's the worst) charging WAY over MSRP and wtth cocky attitudes. Another place in Delaware - Mike's Famous HD was also way over MSRP. These guys did this because they could get away with it and the supply was less than the demand. I refuse to pay over MSRP for anything and therefore I purchased 2 HD's from The Harley Store. These guys never charges more so when the "bottom falls out" I hope people ditch the other guys and remember the Harley Store never took advantage of anyone.

Anyhow--- when I left MD in 2005 and came to Texas I was able to buy another bike at a HD dealer for BELOW MSRP!! That amazed me and I as tempted to buy bikes in TX and sell them in MD for profit! Now it seems that almost nobody nationwide is selling HD's for over MSRP and that's a good thing for consumers but bad for resale. My wife has a mint 2004 Lowrider with only 2500 miles that she wants to sell as she stopped riding. My issue is I don't know what I can really get for it. I'd hate to sell it for less than 10k but I think 8-9k is the market value. IN the past we could probably get darn close to what we paid for it new!

You should be able to get a decent buck for the FXDL but it might take a few attempts on ebay. Lots of guys looking for a used low mileage bike and 2500 for a 6 year old bike is definitely low. But the days of used bikes actually appreciating are over. I bought my Low Rider for $1,000 under MSRP back in 2006. At that point HD was just starting to have an inventory glut as my dealer had 300 big twins sitting in stock and was blowing them out under MSRP in Winter. But if you want to sell that bike for the highest price list it on ebay or craigs list in March or April when the weather breaks.

+1 for selling bikes in the spring -- many riders are looking to upgrade or buy a first bike at the start of the riding season. They look to sell in the fall after the summer riding is over -- they need money for holidays.

So, like PT1 said: buy in fall, sell in the spring.

Thanks PT1 and ZGRider. I was thinking kinda of the same. Put it in ebay and see. I actually sold my '84 Ironhead Sporster on there a few months ago and it went real well. I have a girl interested in it as well, but we haven't yet agreed on any price yet. Odd thing is the bike is 1 of 75 made which really has no baring on price. It's a Ford/Harley Anniversary edition in the colors that match that years Ford Harley truck - the 2004 orange and black F250's. ANybody here got the truck and want the matching bike?? LOL!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: grampi
...I never had any trouble with my 500 triple. I guess I was one of the lucky ones...

Kinda like an AMF-era Harley, eh?

My 500 was nothing like the AMF HDs because it didn't leak oil....

Originally Posted By: ZGRider
Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: grampi
...I never had any trouble with my 500 triple. I guess I was one of the lucky ones...

Kinda like an AMF-era Harley, eh?

Except twice as fast, weighed half as much and cost much less with a much larger dealer network.

Other than that? I guess "kinda" the same.

You wouldn't believe how many bone-headed HD owners would try their luck with their 1200cc whatever against my 500 thinking they could take me because they had more than twice the ccs. It never worked out well for them....

good for you.

I used to have a full race rd350 yamadog that had a super small CS sprocket and only ran 100 mph maxed out.

But if you could keep the front end down it would outrun an old Harley like it was sitting still.

I use to out run harleys with my old honda cl350 anyday of the week, that is until we got to about 110 when my old bike was starting to top out an that old torguey harley was breathing finaly...then it was a different story.
I still ride a honda. its a vtx1330r and i can stay right beside them any day. i do wish mine was a 6 speed like the newer harleys are now. they sound sweet rumbling along and they seem to turn lots lower rpms at cruse speeds..

there was no doubt the he knew he was being challanged by a little honda. he tried his best to match my pace the whole time. But lets think about it here for a sec. I had a fast reving small displacment mtr as apposed to his large displacement that just takes a while to get that much mass turning. my race was over quick but he would catch me as we got on down the road. once the bike of his got its wind i had no chance with him on a top end run.. Ever place a small block chevy against a big block in the quarter mile.. the small block would toast the big block everytime. its the same thing..

not bashing Harleys here. i dont own one. would I ? well heck yea and be proud to ride it. but no more so than when I am on my VTX

Originally Posted By: rickg
I use to out run harleys with my old honda cl350 anyday of the week, that is until we got to about 110 when my old bike was starting to top out an that old torguey harley was breathing finaly...then it was a different story.
I still ride a honda. its a vtx1330r and i can stay right beside them any day. i do wish mine was a 6 speed like the newer harleys are now. they sound sweet rumbling along and they seem to turn lots lower rpms at cruse speeds..

I'd like to see a CL350 do 110. Even CB350s wouldn't go that fast. I've ridden several of those old 350s (including the 4 cylinder models) and none of them would do over 90.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Did any of the Harley owners mentioned above think they were racing you guys, or was it only you?

It's not difficult to tell when someone on a Harley with straight pipes is racing you or not. They make a lot of noise at 5500 RPM.

Originally Posted By: rickg
Ever place a small block chevy against a big block in the quarter mile.. the small block would toast the big block everytime. its the same thing..

If that were true, then why don't they use small blocks in the top fuelers?

Since the exhaust on Harley's face the rear of the bike. To hear it, it would have to be in front of you. That being said it sure sounds like you guys lost the imaginary race you thought you were having.,,

Geesh how did we get from heads up 1/4 mile to top fuel ??

OK let keep it in the bike world. which is faster? A rice burner or a Harley in the quarter mile. stock bikes by the way ?? dont even bother saying the Harley is, we all know better. Any crotch rocket would dust one in a heartbeat!!!!

23.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back