Harley demand/price curve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: ZGRider

Toyotas used to be like gold, but not anymore, I bet.

Uh..not really...my used Lexus and Toyota vehicles have brought top dollar at sale or trade in every time (unlike my GM trucks where I lost thousands). Try to buy a used Corolla in excellent condition with less than 60,000 miles. If you find one or two they will be gone in a flash. Lots of beat ones out there but try finding a nice one that is not commanding top dollar. But, I always ask more because I have my maintenence notebook detailing all service since new. People will pay more for a car that has been taken care of.

People will pretty much buy anything that says Honda or Toyota on it. I've been buying and selling them for a long time and I've never had any problem selling them when the time comes regardless of what kind of shape they've been in, or how many miles they had on them.

Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: kballowe
Yeah, I don't know - I bought Harleys in the 70's and so did a lot of other folks. To say that nobody wanted a Harley in those days ..... is a gross overstatement.

Thank you! Some folks close their eyes...then fail to understand why they cannot see.

So who was closing their eyes and failing to see, the people buying HDs in the 70s?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Yeah, I don't know - I bought Harleys in the 70's and so did a lot of other folks. To say that nobody wanted a Harley in those days ..... is a gross overstatement.

Thank you! Some folks close their eyes...then fail to understand why they cannot see.

So who was closing their eyes and failing to see, the people buying HDs in the 70s?

LOL! Thanks for affirming my point.

Too many insecure folks caught up in the brand thing. It's a sad thing really....they can't seem the grasp the pure joy of motorcycling....but delight in denigrating a fellow cyclist's choice.

Last edited:

Too many insecure folks caught up in the brand thing. It's a sad thing really....they can't seem the grasp the pure joy of motorcycling....but delight in denigrating a fellow cyclist's choice.

If they choose based on what others think, then it is a choice for vanity VS a choice based on their own criteria:

What is the criteria for choosing a HD? Cheap? Powerful, Fine-handling?, Lightweight? Reliable? Cost-effective? Comfortable? Utility? Sexy? Modern?

OR POPULAR? CHROMED-OUT? LOUD? STATUS-SYMBOL? REBEL-WITHOUT-A-CLAUSE? GOOD EXCUSE FOR WEARING A COSTUME? RETRO before retro was cool? GREAT WAY TO LET OUT THE INNER BAD-BOY? WANTING TO IMPRESS THE OTHER ACCOUNTANTS? TERMINATOR WANNABEE?

(I'm talking about the rider, not the motorcycle -- not HD bashing -- doesn't apply to all HD riders either.)

Last edited:
Here in the Portland, Oregon area I see the HD prices up & down. Some folks want the same $$$ for a used bike as a new one would cost. But good deals can be had if you're quick.

I'd love to jump on this one for instance:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/1578954449.html

But unloading my '07FXSTC would be a must before I could make another deal. And although I bought my current bike at a very good price from the original owner (1100 miles on it), I wouldn't want to have to low ball it just to buy the SE Springer.

And besides.....I've become quite attached to my Softail!
wink.gif

3278984733_cac1d1b48f.jpg

So you're saying the people who were buying the 70s HDs weren't caught up in the brand thing? They certainly weren't buying them because they were good products.

If they choose based on what others think, then it is a choice for vanity VS a choice based on their own criteria:

What is the criteria for choosing a HD? Cheap? Powerful, Fine-handling?, Lightweight? Reliable? Cost-effective? Comfortable? Utility? Sexy? Modern?

OR POPULAR? CHROMED-OUT? LOUD? STATUS-SYMBOL? REBEL-WITHOUT-A-CLAUSE? GOOD EXCUSE FOR WEARING A COSTUME? RETRO before retro was cool? GREAT WAY TO LET OUT THE INNER BAD-BOY? WANTING TO IMPRESS THE OTHER ACCOUNTANTS? TERMINATOR WANNABEE?

(I'm talking about the rider, not the motorcycle -- not HD bashing -- doesn't apply to all HD riders either.)

I say answer 2 is correct.

So you're saying the people who were buying the 70s HDs weren't caught up in the brand thing? They certainly weren't buying them because they were good products.

I would think that there were almost as many reasons as there were different personalities.....just like buying other brands...most like the machine, a few like the image the machine may project.

What's the point? Do you really care how others choose what they like to buy/ride? Some buy because the machine is exactly what suited them at the time and some because of all the reasons you stated above. I don't understand why numbskull kids want to ride crotch rockets, but that's their decision. Doing some busa-bashing on internet forums isn't going to change much.

I think I can put why I like Harleys into words.

Firstly, I've had 17 motorcycles I can remember. I bought a brand new 1800 Goldwing in '03. A wonderful motorcycle. Very high quality, and it's a bike hard to equal when it comes to doing what it was designed for. But it just didn't "move" me. I had no connection with the bike. If a bike doesn't give me something different I'd be just as happy in a car. Earlier I had an '84 1200 Goldwing Aspencade, and that one had more soul to me. Maybe it's cuz I had to tinker with it on occasion, I dunno. I put over 80k miles and almost coast to coast on it.

I sold my '03 wing when I lost interest in it and wanted the money to buy an old JD Bulldozer. It happens old heavy equipment is also an interest of mine. Old tractors especially. I like to tinker on 'em and play around in the back 40 with them.

I bought an old shovelhead Electra Glide when I wanted another bike. It needed some TLC when I bought it but I'd ride it anywhere now. I enjoy working on it, and I can understand it's old, crude, design. I enjoy making improvements on it if I think I can do something better than the factory did at the time. My bike has the stock Harley mufflers, for it's year, which are not loud. I like that parts are still available for it, I enjoy talking with other Harley, or any brand, enthusiest about bikes. I like getting compliments from old coots that remeber their days with bikes like these. All in all it fits what I want in a bike to a T.

I don't dress up like one of the village people. I have a leather jacket and chaps around if it's cold, but I rarely wear either and prefer another carharts style jacket I have for most riding.

I also enjoy talking to yuppies, wanna-be's, wing dingers, or anybody, and I mean anybody who likes motorcycles and is respectful enough not to insult me, or ask me to justify why I like what I like.

Most motorcyclist don't do that though, atleast not the ones I've met in real life.

I would think that there were almost as many reasons as there were different personalities.....just like buying other brands...most like the machine, a few like the image the machine may project.

You're kidding, right? Even the most diehard HD supporters will admit the AMF HDs were nothing but junk. I wouldn't say MOST of the people who bought them did so because they liked the machine, it was purely a brand thing....

What's the point? Do you really care how others choose what they like to buy/ride? Some buy because the machine is exactly what suited them at the time and some because of all the reasons you stated above. I don't understand why numbskull kids want to ride crotch rockets, but that's their decision. Doing some busa-bashing on internet forums isn't going to change much.

I certainly can't speak for ZGrider, but I couldn't care less what other people choose to ride. What I don't like is the if-you-ain't-ridin'-a-Harley-you-ain't-$hit attitude, and don't tell me it doesn't exist because I see it all the time. I say ride what you want, it's your money, but curb the attitude. People who ride other than HDs are no less motorcyclists than those who do and they deserve the same level of respect.

You're kidding, right? Even the most diehard HD supporters will admit the AMF HDs were nothing but junk. I wouldn't say MOST of the people who bought them did so because they liked the machine, it was purely a brand thing....

I guess what I find baffling is why anyone would even be concerned with someone's motive for purchasing something in the 70's.

I just happened to have purchased two AMF-era FLH's that were perfectly satisfactory. The "nothing but junk" thing has morphed into a huge urban legend for the most part.

Of course, I could have been REALLY smart and bought one of those Kawasaki 2-stroke triples that seized up and high-sided their riders.

Currently own two Hondas, an Indian, and two Harleys.
I've owned more than 45 street bikes (not counting dirt bikes and ATVs) and I never understood this hatred of the Harley riders.
We rode our Wing to Sturgis whilst wearing Harley t-shirts and no one said a word. Well, except another Wing rider that we ran into - that called us a "traitor" and stomped off.
Also took the Wing to the Harley Museum and got nothing but compliments.
Seriously, I catch much, much, more [censored] from the metric riders while on a Harley than the other way around.
It's interesting to note that anytime a post mentions "Harley" that the haters come out and start bashing. Heck, they'll even tell you that they're not "bashing" but they actually are.... read the posts.
We ride with people that own gas stations - and people that don't have gas money. Metrics, Harleys, Beemers, whatever. We also do a lot of solo riding.
Personally, I don't see the Harley attitude. What I do see, and far too often, is the "Metric" attitude.

I guess what I find baffling is why anyone would even be concerned with someone's motive for purchasing something in the 70's.

I just happened to have purchased two AMF-era FLH's that were perfectly satisfactory. The "nothing but junk" thing has morphed into a huge urban legend for the most part.

Of course, I could have been REALLY smart and bought one of those Kawasaki 2-stroke triples that seized up and high-sided their riders.

I doubt anyone cares what anyone else was buying the 70s. My comments were a rebuttle to your "blind" and "brand" comments.

Currently own two Hondas, an Indian, and two Harleys.
I've owned more than 45 street bikes (not counting dirt bikes and ATVs) and I never understood this hatred of the Harley riders.
We rode our Wing to Sturgis whilst wearing Harley t-shirts and no one said a word. Well, except another Wing rider that we ran into - that called us a "traitor" and stomped off.
Also took the Wing to the Harley Museum and got nothing but compliments.
Seriously, I catch much, much, more [censored] from the metric riders while on a Harley than the other way around.
It's interesting to note that anytime a post mentions "Harley" that the haters come out and start bashing. Heck, they'll even tell you that they're not "bashing" but they actually are.... read the posts.
We ride with people that own gas stations - and people that don't have gas money. Metrics, Harleys, Beemers, whatever. We also do a lot of solo riding.
Personally, I don't see the Harley attitude. What I do see, and far too often, is the "Metric" attitude.

Which riders have the most attitude has been hashed out many times before with both sides claiming the attitude is coming from the other side. Maybe people on a particular side don't see it going from their side to the other. Who knows. All I can say is what I see and I only see the attitude flowing from the HD side.

The reason most HD riders buy that brand is to "project image". The desired image, in most instances is "I have attitude" hence the costumes and pseudo bad boy behaviour. Therefore, denying that die hard HD people don't have attitude is an exercise in futility. Those HD owners who also own other brands, do not fall into this category because they're not obsessed brand loyalists. However, they shouldn't consider themselves as representatives of all or most HD owners. They're not.

I recall one incident while riding my '74 Yamaha RD400. Somehow, the way the traffic merged, I ended up in the middle of ten or so, leather clad, pony tailed, bearded and tattooed Harley riders. As I pulled into the group, one of them looked to his left and had a big grin on his face until he saw that I wasn't one of his riding buddies. His grin turned to a frown and he gassed his straight pipe Harley up to his other buddies and pointed me out. Nothing was said but there were a lot of dirty looks cast my way and obvious disdain for my presence in their little get together. When the traffic thinned out, I moved away from the group.

One wouldn't think that an old, vintage bike would be such a threat. If they were truly motorcycle enthusiasts, you would think that they would have appreciated seeing an old relic like that.

Those are the riders that give the other Harley enthusiasts bad press.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_D
I think I can put why I like Harleys into words.

Firstly, I've had 17 motorcycles I can remember. I bought a brand new 1800 Goldwing in '03. A wonderful motorcycle. Very high quality, and it's a bike hard to equal when it comes to doing what it was designed for. But it just didn't "move" me. I had no connection with the bike. If a bike doesn't give me something different I'd be just as happy in a car. Earlier I had an '84 1200 Goldwing Aspencade, and that one had more soul to me. Maybe it's cuz I had to tinker with it on occasion, I dunno. I put over 80k miles and almost coast to coast on it.

I sold my '03 wing when I lost interest in it and wanted the money to buy an old JD Bulldozer. It happens old heavy equipment is also an interest of mine. Old tractors especially. I like to tinker on 'em and play around in the back 40 with them.

I bought an old shovelhead Electra Glide when I wanted another bike. It needed some TLC when I bought it but I'd ride it anywhere now. I enjoy working on it, and I can understand it's old, crude, design. I enjoy making improvements on it if I think I can do something better than the factory did at the time. My bike has the stock Harley mufflers, for it's year, which are not loud. I like that parts are still available for it, I enjoy talking with other Harley, or any brand, enthusiest about bikes. I like getting compliments from old coots that remeber their days with bikes like these. All in all it fits what I want in a bike to a T.

I don't dress up like one of the village people. I have a leather jacket and chaps around if it's cold, but I rarely wear either and prefer another carharts style jacket I have for most riding.

I also enjoy talking to yuppies, wanna-be's, wing dingers, or anybody, and I mean anybody who likes motorcycles and is respectful enough not to insult me, or ask me to justify why I like what I like.

Most motorcyclist don't do that though, atleast not the ones I've met in real life.

+1

I couldn't help but notice that the haters from both sides ignored your post.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I recall one incident while riding my '74 Yamaha RD400. Somehow, the way the traffic merged, I ended up in the middle of ten or so, leather clad, pony tailed, bearded and tattooed Harley riders. As I pulled into the group, one of them looked to his left and had a big grin on his face until he saw that I wasn't one of his riding buddies. His grin turned to a frown and he gassed his straight pipe Harley up to his other buddies and pointed me out. Nothing was said but there were a lot of dirty looks cast my way and obvious disdain for my presence in their little get together. When the traffic thinned out, I moved away from the group.

If those bikes were all riding together, and you ended up in the middle of their formation, then it wouldn't make much difference what you were riding. The proper etiquette would be to hug the right portion of the lane and motion for them to pass you - in order for them to re-form.
Seriously.

Motion them to pass me so that I can pass them later? Does that make sense?

I guess you'd do the same when driving your car right?

Surely, you can't be serious.

I was on the highway already and had right of way. There was a car behind me. Half of the HD crew had pulled onto the highway ahead of me and the car. We passed the other half of the group who were waiting at an intersection on a side road to pull out onto the highway once we passed. They overtook the car and rejoined the group of which, by then, I was in the midst of.

Thanks for the driving lesson and sharing your expertise on road etiquette.
I'll have to remember to apologize for any future intrusion into "private" highway space. It's a highway, not a parade route! It's designed for expedient transportation, not formation riding.

I had every right to be where I was and do what I did. I did not intrude upon anyone's private party nor was I obnoxious. I was in as much of a hurry to disassociate myself with them as they were to get rid of me.

I'm also certain that if it were a group of any other type of riders, I would not have been frowned up. Therefore I disagree with your comments in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back