Hard to read dipstick

What oil are you using? When I first got my Mustang I really struggled to read the dipstick with the oem fill (motorcraft 5w20). If it wasn't for the two dots I'd have been clueless, hot or cold.

I put in pennzoil platinum 5w30 and had no issues reading it. I figured maybe it's the 5w20 but I put 5w20 PP in the sump for winter to early summer and also had no problem reading the stick.

I thought I was the only one that complained about a black dipstick. My girlfriends 2018 Ford Escape has a black one that is almost impossible to read. And that is with fresh oil and especially near the end of a 10k oci. How crazy is it to use black??? Every car I’ve ever seen before is a polish or raw metal dipstick that is easy to read. Black?? They should fire the idiot that designed that dipstick.

My Honda Civic has an orange dipstick that is very difficult to read and I totally agree with you. If the oil is nice and clean you can barely see it. Luckily the engine doesn't use any oil and I am confident of the level with a quick check. I really don't know why they don't put a white dipstick on these Honda's. Even a metal one would be better.

Back