Hard to get good advice these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Mobil depot is a mine of misinformation, every time I ask for "product X", I get told that I should use "product Y" for all sorts of technical reasons (which boil down to "we haven't got what you are after" ).

A guy at work (farmer) with a mixed fleet was after an engine oil to put in any engine on the farm. I suggested Delo400, DelvacMX, and Pennzoil LongLife.

The cheapest was the Mobil, so he wandered in to get a 20l drum
"What are you going to put that in ?"
"Diesel Tractor, Nissan Patrol Diesel, Landcruiser Petrol".
"That's exactly the wron oil for petrol engines!"
Dave showed them the petrol engine ratings on the container, and they rang the lube line.

Ansewer came back "DelvacMX". And even still the local bloke argued that the lube line sometimes make mistakes, and he'd never run that any where near a petrol engine.

Dave bought the Delvac, and asked for a bottle of Dexron for his power steering. They told him that he needed a special oil, and gave him brake and clutch fluid - because thos hydraulics need special oils.

Same problem with tire places. They try to sell you what's in stock and will fit, not what you want, nor the size you want.

Very true, it does seem very difficult these days to get good quality information.
frown.gif

Reminds me of the the TV show "Are You Being Served". The one clothing salesman was always telling the customer either A. "It will shrink a bit to fit." or B. "It will stretch a bit to fit." depending on what they had is stock...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

[ November 22, 2003, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Rick in PA ]

quote:

Nissan Patrol Diesel, Landcruiser Petrol

I'm always jealous of the sweet 4x4s you Aussies still get. Toyota has wrecked the Landcruiser and now the 4Runner in this country. We never did get the Nissan Patrol.

Keep 4wheeling and hope the bimbofication of 4x4s and SUVs doesn't hit your country.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

At least we have BITOG. I think I am giving out good dog advice on several sites, and I see some good computer advice in some sites. Part of it is being able to sort out the good advice from the garbage. I am still grateful to the salesman that convinced me to buy Pirellis. I am sure my daughter gave out some good advice the summer she worked in the lawn and garden department at Lowes. But in general the unwary, unknowing can well end up taking home orange.

quote:

Originally posted by GSV:

quote:

Nissan Patrol Diesel, Landcruiser Petrol

I'm always jealous of the sweet 4x4s you Aussies still get. Toyota has wrecked the Landcruiser and now the 4Runner in this country. We never did get the Nissan Patrol.

Keep 4wheeling and hope the bimbofication of 4x4s and SUVs doesn't hit your country.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

That's why I bought my TurboDiesel Nissan Navara, best of both worlds.

Anyone wanna buy a 4Runner ?

Elkhounds and husky crosses appear to have the culinary sophistication of Labs then.....'cept they've never eaten "leading brands" except when staying at kennels.

Years ago before we bought this house and I did not have a good place to change my own oil, I went to a quick lube place. The guys there would always preach at me saying that GTX 5w30 was too thin for my '92 Ranger and that it would blow up my motor in summer. The best part was they kept this up after I had turned 100K and the motor still ran great!! I noticed that after GTX 5w30 was added to the bulk oil selection hoses and they no longer has to open bottles that the maoning stopped. I think their 'advice' was 1/2 self-serving and 1/2 ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back